Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem with having a fake ID
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Edward
Problem with having a fake ID.

A little scenario for you.

I have 3 fake sin’s I need to be able to use them for various things with a thumbprint so the thumbprints on all are the same.

In order to have a lifestyle of medium I was forced to use one of them to get my house (SSG)

I commit a crime. What do you expect I am a shadow runner? But notably I theft a thumbprint.

The police find sed thumbprint and ask there computer to find the sin and associated particulars.

The computer finds 3 matches with the same physical descriptions and the cops go “well you’ve been a bad boy then” and promptly send a suitable arrest teem to each of my registered addresses.

Is there a good reason why this dose not happen?

Is there anything you can do to lower the risk?

Is it something we just ignore because it would mean you can’t have more than one sin?

Edward
Kanada Ten
Is there a good reason why this dose not happen?

Don't leave thumb prints. Ever. Secondly, only one of your fakes (preferably the highest) has any kind of 'matching' physical data on it. The rest all have false thumb prints, DNA, and so on. Notice that the different levels of credsticks (and transactions) have different identification requirements for transfer? Only use the ID with real data for everyday activities, driving your car around town, buying groceries, ect. Use certified cred for all transfers with the other 2 ID's (certified cred never requires ID verification).

The other way is to have you fakes each with different parts, say one with thumb print, one with retinal, one with DNA, ect and use as required. I really think everyone should get a knowledge skill about their false lives (complementary to Intelligence tests).
Backgammon
QUOTE (Edward)
Is it something we just ignore because it would mean you can’t have more than one sin?

Edward

That's what I do.
Edward
You would have had to use your thumbprint to rent your safe house shorly. And you don’t want that under your real (or everyday) sin. Every ID has to have all the ID types (possibly not retinal, DNA & tissue type) even if they are wrong.

Also what good is a fake ID if you never want to use it? If you do your day to day life on 1 id and everything else by certified cred your not actually using the fakes at all so why get them. you want them for things like avoiding cops, travelling, Holding your fake licences, shopping for legal items that you intend to use in the commission of a crime but need to show ID. (eg a car) .

Edward
Kanada Ten
You would have had to use your thumbprint to rent your safe house.

Why? Surely you applied for the lease online and sent a digital signature (including false thumb print) through email, not in person. Same for vehicles and almost all legal purchases.

Unless the identification is dormant, you don't want to use any but one false ID except virtually or where the data can otherwise be easily manipulated to match the fake. Dormant IDs may have physically matching data to be used and discarded (ie erased) afterwards, just a your primary fake must be discarded before activating them. Multiple matching data in the SIN registries will cause internal alters long before you run into trouble with the star. Dormant IDs will be waiting quietly, passed over by all searches, until activated.

Never ever use a fake ID to aid in criminal activity because the Star may trace it to the creator who is much more likely to give your 'other' name up than keep quiet without a little something extra. Fake IDs are to hide layers of 'legitimate' lives into which you can fade from trouble. If you need a car for a job, I suggest you steal it, as does Rigger 3.
hobgoblin
say hello to big bro...
Jason Farlander
Certified credsticks are your friends. Be happy together, and worry not about the false hope embodied by false SINs.
bit_buckethead
Solution 1. Don't leave a thumbprint. It seems obvious but if you don't leave fingerprints they can't incriminate you. Of course you could always leave someone elses fingerprint and incriminate them. Surely there should be gloves that leave fake fingerprints by 2060.

Solution 2. Use different fingers for each identification. Each of your fingerprints are different, so use a different fingerprint for each ID. The credstick only holds the information for the fingerprint used for verification and not all of the fingerprints. This is for two reasons. One, storage space on the credstick. Two, security. If someone trys to rob you and use your credstick then they have to guess which finger you use for ID.

Solution 3. Do not put all of your eggs in one database. Credsticks are issued by financial institutions and not by the government. If you use different banks for different IDs then there should be no problem. Banks are not going to share customer info too much because of security concerns and not wanting other banks to steal customers. Also, I know that this has been said before, but any database programmer worth his weight in soykaf would have the sense to realize that an index on fingerprints would be a good idea. He would also know that each fingerprint is unique and therefore there should only be one in the database. If more that one shows up in the database it should be instantly flagged for investigation. Also if they are searching on your fingerprint the minute that one shows up that is a match it should stop searching for more, again because of the uniqueness of the fingerprint.

Solution 4. Make sure that you don't have a criminal SIN. If you do then the cops already have you fingerprints and you are nailed. If you do have a criminal SIN then you first priority is to get rid of it.
stone-rhino
Do government SIN records contain biometric data? I know banks would require it for higher grade credsticks, and police would collect everything when registering a criminal SIN, but the Sprawl Survival Guide only mentions name, birthdate, location, citizenship and details of parents.
Nikoli
The gov. sins would still need something to tell you are the person being "described" rather than the guy who just filched your pocket and is claiming to be the person.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012