Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knuckling Trolls - How fast?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Botch
Many references are made to trolls being built like gorillas, commonly ceilings are generally to low for a fully upright canon height troll. Common artwork for trolls portrays their arms being a similar diameter to their legs, suggesting that they are as strong.

In our games trolls have the option to "knuckle", basically move like a gorilla on all 4s. This allows movement within a confined area and can have social TN# modifiers depending on who is watching.

The question is, what would be a suitable movement modifier when "knuckling" is used at high speed. As an animal's top speed to governed by leg speed and stride length what impact do you think this "four-footed" style would have, as it would increase the maximum possible stride length significantly?

Anybody remember Dark Crystal, the "good" monsters where blokes with short crutches as forelegs and they belted along.

hyzmarca
The problem with trolls "knuckling" is that the metahuman skeletal structure really isn't designed for it. Gorrilla can move quickly this way because it is how they are built. They're not made to walk upright and can't easily run on two legs.

Metahumans, however, are built to walk erect. Our skeletal structure is designed around the assumption that we will walk upright. I doubt that trolls are an expception to this.

Generally, trying to walk on all fours will cause leg fatigue and eventual back pain. Even with their extra reach, Trolls won't have it much easier.
Botch
Knock, knock, knock. Oh, the joys of constructive criticism on this site. I'm having a bad day and you just want to make me share it with you, hyzmarca.
Johnson
The Spine, the spine Knuckling works off spine lay out. Unless your Trolls has rang factor, which he doesn't. Remember he is Homo Sapian origin with larger or smaller skeletal structure.
Botch
After wading through material such as:

The size and shape of the vertebral canals of gorillas and chimpanzees is significantly different to that of the human lumbar spine. Whilst the area of the human lumbar canal reduces from L1 to L4 and increases at L5, in the gorilla and chimpanzee the area continues to reduce proximo-distally. The mid-sagittal diameters steadily reduce in size in the gorilla, and increase in the chimpanzee. The interpedicular diameter gradually reduces in both primates from proximal to distal levels. The midsagittal diameters in gorillas and chimpanzees is 50% greater than the interpedicular diameter, whilst it is 50% less in the human spine. These results should now make it possible to predict whether a particular set of lumbar vertebrae from antiquity belonged to an upright or a semi upright primate.

Believe me, I have read a lot more, but I want you to understand that the research material is a damn site more in depth than MSN Encarta.

I have a few points for you.

a) Gorillas can and frequently do walk upright, some quadrapedal apes spend upto 20% of their time upright IN THE WILD.
b) The single curve of a gorillas spine does not allow for good co-ordination of bi-pedal movement as well as associated load bearing issues.
c) The double curve of a human spine allows both good bi-pedal movement and dramatically increases the vertical load bearing capability bi-pedal humans.
d) The difference in pelvic layout in apes is about bipedal control, quadrapedal internal organ arrangement, and tree-climbing ability.
e) It is the leg/arm ratio and foot shape that is the biggest problem for human to walk on all fours. Bipedal posture does not inhibit quadrapedal movement per se, it is the lower limb modifications for stride length.
f) With the right shoes and support gloves/mini-crutch there is F'all stopping trolls from knuckling like a pro.

So does anybody have a sensible contribution?

I am suggesting x5 or x6 for high speed knuckling.
Apathy
I am suggesting x5 or x6 for high speed knuckling.

Twice as fast as running seems over-rated.

If I were to allow knuckling as a movement method for trolls, I'd give it the standard running multiplier (x3), but also allow trolls that were 'knuckle sprinting' to make an athletics test to increase their speed, just like with runners.
heliocentric
d) The difference in pelvic layout in apes is about bipedal control, quadrapedal internal organ arrangement, and tree-climbing ability.

I wonder if the different organ arangment would cause long term problems if a meta-human insisted on knuckling over walking?

That said I don't see how knuckling would be much faster than running (if at all). Move x3 or x3.5 if you ask me (and you did ask).

A more important question is why put down your weapons to do this in the first place? Perhaps, you can make a special attack while moving? King Solomon has this weird jump attack that he uses in "Tom Strong" (I know its a comic book, but still). Maybe you should give someone who is moving like this a x3 move and a combat bonus? Ooh, I know, a maneuver. "Flying kick" or some such nonsense.
Backgammon
Why just trolls? If you're gonna let Trolls knuckle around, there's no reason why everyone wouldn't be doing it. A Troll's skeleton isn't any more suited to doing it that any human's is. Unless you want to change that.

In that case, my totally uninformed opinion is that it wouldn't make the go any faster, but they'd get a bonus when crashing into things (i.e. people) since their center of mass is more concentrated. Like a canonball, really. An angry, ape-like canonball.
Rev
It should be slower. 1x movement multiplier.

You are saying this is something they are allowed to do to move around in cramped spaces, it makes absolutely no sense that they would move more quickly in cramped environments than in open ones.
Edward
I think it would be of limited value.

Same speeds as normal. Maybe +1 running multiplier but more importantly you can run when the sealing is not as tall as you are.

Also there is the assumption that a troll skeleton is a lager human skeleton. As a human can not use this form of movement nether could a troll. I believe there would be significant differences in skeletal structure between meta types but not necessarily enough (or the right type) to allow for knuckling. Personally I would not allow it but it is your choice in your game.

Edward
Slacker
I am not sure why you would say it would be useful in cramped spaces. Since the arms are being set down on the ground at points wider than where your feet are, it would probably take more room.

As far as the increased run multiplier, I could see it being 4x or maybe 5x, but nothing more than that. While the stride would be a bit longer and you would gain some minimal benefit from using your feet also, it would not be that much.

For those of you that are thinking it wouldn't be that feasible, I perfect illustration of the use of this can be found 2001 remake of Planet of the Apes. The gorilla soldiers were definitely able to run in this manner faster than the humans were.
Kagetenshi
Vertically cramped spaces.

~J
Edward
I dislike the use of movies to justify things as being real.

Ant it would defiantly only provide a benefit in low places rather than cramped floor space.

Edward
Da9iel
Planet of the Apes DVD shows that the knuckling apes were actors with arm extensions. They were only about 15 cm long. Given the different proportions of a troll, knuckling could be feasible. The speed (as the actors knuckled alongside a horse) came from the actors moving on a very long tarp that was being pulled by a truck. I would allow a 3x run multiplier in vertically cramped spaces but no more.
Edward
And that is why I dislike using movies to justify things being real.

I thought the actors where hanging from a harness as well. All in all it was a fabulous bit of cinematography but that is all.

Edward
Fortune
I would think that Trolls have enough trouble fitting in to society, so I don't think too many would choose to alienate even more people by adopting animal-like mannerisms.
SirKodiak
Walking without protection on your hands on hard surfaces (concrete, for example) is going to be truly brutal on your hands. Humans hands aren't made to handle the impact of locomotion the way that our feet are, and even feet can get ripped up running too much on hard surfaces without shoes. Gorillas mostly walk on softer surfaces (natural instead of artificial). Imagine the difference in punching solidly packed earth and punching a concrete wall
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (SirKodiak @ Oct 19 2004, 04:27 AM)
Walking without protection on your hands on hard surfaces (concrete, for example) is going to be truly brutal on your hands. Humans hands aren't made to handle the impact of locomotion the way that our feet are, and even feet can get ripped up running too much on hard surfaces without shoes. Gorillas mostly walk on softer surfaces (natural instead of artificial). Imagine the difference in punching solidly packed earth and punching a concrete wall

of all the problems posed with this idea, I don't think this one even registers. if we're talking about movement in an enclosed (vertical) space, chances are it's indoors. if there's a cieling, there might be a floor. concrete is smooth, so is wood, etc... only time this might come up is on asphalt (sp?)

besides don't trolls have some natural bonus to skin protection? I forget the name.
Kagetenshi
Dermal armor, and that's from bone deposits. Trust me, even smooth floor hurts.

~J
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 19 2004, 07:59 PM)
Dermal armor, and that's from bone deposits. Trust me, even smooth floor hurts.

~J

Well there you go then, always trust Kagetenshi to have the answer. biggrin.gif <3
SirKodiak
Trust me, even smooth floor hurts.

Indeed. The issue is not scraping up your skin on a rough surface, as much as that would suck, but instead the impact. Our feet/legs are designed for extending the period of time we absorb the impact of running, our hands/arms aren't: particularly our hands, as gorillas walk on their fists, not an extended hand; you can bend your foot backwards, resting it on the base of the joints for the toes (standing on the balls of your feet), you can't do that with your hands without risking serious damage to your hands. Trying to run on even the smoothest, but very hard surface, is going to be like repeatedly punching the same surface, you're eventually going to break something in your hand.

Now, the idea that a troll might be more inclined to brace himself with is arms, particularly when moving slowly in a low space, I think is a clever idea, and I could definitely see incoporating into things. But it's not going to be the desired way of moving.
Kagetenshi
Never mind impact, it's going to start hurting if you sit on a solid hardwood floor for too long. Most corp installations are probably going to have softer stuff down, though.

~J
Moon-Hawk
You know, there's all these arguments for why we can't knuckle properly, having to do with shape of the pelvis, curveture of the spine, our hands aren't made for impacts; and you seem to be suggesting that these should be reasons why a Troll can't move that way. Now, I don't know exactly what the curveture of a Troll's spine looks like, or the shape of his pelvis, but you can be damn sure it doesn't look human. A human structure CAN NOT support a 3m tall individual. They MUST be doing something different. Maybe they're built like gorillas in some ways. I don't know! They've got the right arm/leg proportions, much more like a gorilla than you or I.
I think it sounds like a cool idea. Sure, there are a lot of reasons not to, but don't try to tell me why a Troll CAN'T, because they're bodies are built exactly like sapiens sapiens. question.gif
BitBasher
Heck, I don't care if they can or can't. I'm sure as hell not going to give them a running *bonus* for it. It's still going to be slower than running upright. I'll give a 2 running multiplier for it, if it ever popped up in my games, which it won't, because noone plays trolls because of the social ramifications in my game.
Moon-Hawk
I'd allow a cheap troll edge that allowed them to get up to a x3 running multiplier with it, to keep up with others. But that's it. Otherwise, it's just some really cool flavor.
spotlite
I think, if the troll has taken the right precautions re wrist supports and practice - because i think it would take a certain amount of conditioning, bone deposits or no bone deposits before you could handle this as something the person did 'naturally' (i.e. instinctively without having to think about it.) - then I'd allow normal movement for it. I've not read any IC stuff which suggests that trolls have a skeletal structure exactly the same as a sapien sapien, in fact it all seems to specifically back up that there are significant differences. All the artwork shows a creature with long arms and short legs. Being able to knuckle around therefore doesn't seem that far fetched. I wouldn't give them extra speed - as you say its primarily for moving around in low ceiling areas and they're still going to have to be careful - knuckling isn't going to lose them all that much in the height department looking at the artwork - their arms come down to their knees, so there's only a short distance they will actually be dropping. It may be as much as a metre, but I'd have thought closer to half a metre.

But I would have thought they could build up quite a lot of momentum if they had the chance - say 10-quickness in metres as a run up (so that the faster you are the shorter the run up distance instead of the other way round which seems screwy). If you can get that kind of a run up in melee combat - say for a charge - I might add either +2 power to the attack or (that's OR, not AND) maybe even +1 damage level just for sheer impact.

I don't think its an idea completely out of the realms of possibility, though I agree that I think it unlikely it would ever be used except away from the prying eyes of the general public or media since its not as if trolls don't have enough image problems. A runner who used it as his 'signature' seems reasonable, but I'd make them have the Distinctive Style flaw if they were going to use it a lot.

EDIT - and as for using movie physics to demonstrate a point, I have to say movie physics are the ONLY reason some of the rules in SR work in the first place. If you want to make all your physics real you might want to start work on Shadowrun 4th edition, and base it on Millennium's End or something. Many SR games are run like high octane action movies, and some say that's how its meant to be done. Some also say it isn't meant to be that way, but *I* say bullets make sparks when they hit stuff, shotgun blasts knock you through plate glass windows, and furthermore, even though its not physics, I also say many corps keep their hard research data online plugged into the matrix and keep a full squad of guards at all extraterritorial facilities. OK? biggrin.gif
Botch
A few observations about trolls.

They have gorilla limb proportions.
They have horns that are found on animals that charge.
Their gestation period is longer.
They are armour plated.
They appear clumsy and awkward.
They do not appear to have a high enough STR and BOD for their size.
The longest a troll has been a troll is only 44 years.

Thus,

Tweak a troll's skeleton

1) Asymmetrical S-curve spine - easier quadrapedal movement, less efficient bipedal strength and co-odination. A troll would need more muscles in proportion to a human to function upright, but wouldn't suffer when moving around "on all fours". The additional muscle/ligament/tendon structure to support a less than efficient spine would also be damaged easier than a human configuration.
2) Widish pelvis - the legs would appear almost bow-legged as the stance is widened, the hips would tip less causing a waddle, but quadrapedal movement of the legs is no longer hindered. Delivery after a longer gestation period is eased with the new arrangement of the pelvic area.
4) Apish ankles/feet - Altering the shape of the ankle and foot would hinder bipedal movement reducing speed and stability (poor QCK), but allow increased power and shock absorption in quadrapedal movement.
5) Armour plating and horns - What is the point of ramming with horns 9' off the ground, put them 5' off the ground and they remain effective. For trolls to have retained horns and armour they must have been useful more resently than human found 4 hands.
6) Knuckling movement - At slow speed and confined headroom and tri/quadrapedal movement is a good combination when you're couple of feet taller than the room. Walking through to running is more efficient in a bipedal stance, better acceleration and visibility, but sprinting is a different matter. Increasing a stride length by the length of the torso and extended arms would result in a stride length whilst "galloping" in excess of 9'. 1x=knuckling or walking, 2x=bipedal jogging, 3x=bipedal running, 4x or 5x=knuckling.

In 206x trolls are only just be begining to form a creole culture, unless anybody knows of some Immortal Trolls. Many trolls (all the elders) will have been born human or had human parents, it is only recently trolls have been raised by true-born trolls. The need to disassociate with animal characteristics will be reducing, allowing new true-born trolls to maintain "crawling" into later life. So currently knuckling is looked down on hard, but in the future who knows?

As a game balance thing what is so upsetting about a 5x-6x multiplier? Retrograde cyberlegs give a movement modifier increase and the stride length modification when knuckling is greater, plus using all four limbs means no readied weapons what so ever.

Ol' Scratch
Honestly, the only problem I have is that it would look retarded. That, alone, is enough reason for me to not even consider it.

Trolls move just fine in cramped conditions, and can even sneak around as well as anybody else (which is remarkable considering their size). The only reason they have a relatively slow running speed is because their have stunted legs for their size just like dwarves.
Botch
Their legs are just as long as humans, orks and elves so there is no justification for slower movement using that old chestnut.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Botch)
Their legs are just as long as humans, orks and elves so there is no justification for slower movement using that old chestnut.

They don't have a slower movement rate. It's x3, just like humans and elves. But relative to their size their legs are stunted. Just like dwarves.
Botch
Trolls move just fine in cramped conditions, and can even sneak around as well as anybody else (which is remarkable considering their size). ...

Then you aren't using all the rules from the BBB, because they should have problems.
Ol' Scratch
Feel free to enlighten me, then. Be sure to include the page references.

I can point to pages such as 108 (Movement Rates and Running), 95 (Stealth), and 87 (Athletics), and not a one of those pages have any modifiers -- let alone penalties -- listed for trolls. In fact, due to a troll's high Body score, they make *exceptional* runners even when unskilled.

The only problem a troll has as far as his running speed goes is his Quickness attribute. But that's an attribute-based "problem," not a uniquely racial one... and it's one that his Athletics skill (or Body Test) gets around quite easily by making a single success.

EDIT: To prove the point, here's a few numbers. I'm assuming two Olympiads with maxed out attributes and an Athletics skill equal to their Body score since that's the highest one can go without taking additional Karma penalties.

Olympic Elf; max natural Quickness 12, Body 11, Athletics 11.
Olympic Troll; max natural Quickness 9, Body 18, Athletics 18.

Assuming average (50%) successes on the Athletics Test, the Olympic Troll will have a final running speed of 54 while the Olympic Elf will have a final running speed of 51. Troll wins. If you assume multiple heats where each one eventually gets the maximum number of successes on the Athletics Test, the Olympic Troll will have a running speed of 81 while the Olympic Elf will only have a running speed of 69. Troll makes Elf his bitch.
Jason Farlander
To be fair, that troll spent a lot more karma maxing out his attributes/athletics than did the elf. Assuming a starting point of the racial modified limits (plus bonus attribute points to quickness and body, as is implied by your numbers) and athletics skills of 6 each, the troll spends 606 karma maxing out his body, quickness, and althetics to the levels you specified. Your elf only spent 351 karma doing the same thing. If you take the extra karma the troll used and let the elf spend it to increase his athletics, he will end up with an athletics of 19, and will still kick the troll's a55 in the olympics.

biggrin.gif
Ol' Scratch
Yeah, I knew that. I was just pointing to the racial aspects to point out that trolls aren't slow, not the actual Karma expenditures to max out those aspects. smile.gif

But if you want a 0 Karma version, how's this.

Troll: Body 3[8], Quickness 3[2]. Athletics defaulted to.
Elf: Body 3[3], Quickness 3[4]. Athletics defaulted to.

I don't know how to calculate probabilities, but with a Body nearly three times as high as the elf's, I'm assuming the troll gets three successes to the elf's one. Final running speeds are 15 for both -- a tie. And that's only because the Elf gets a +1 to Quickness; against any other metatype, the troll wins.

So yeah, the point stands -- trolls aren't slow. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Base TN is what, 4? That moves the TN to an 8, which means that the Troll will get a single success most of the time, while the Elf averages a success somewhat under half the time. The elf expects to run 12 meters/turn, while the Troll expects 9. Untrained elves are faster, but not dramatically so.

~J
SirKodiak
5) Armour plating and horns - What is the point of ramming with horns 9' off the ground, put them 5' off the ground and they remain effective. For trolls to have retained horns and armour they must have been useful more resently than human found 4 hands.

Many animals with horns, for example deer, use them primarily against each other in competition for mating. Therefore, the horns would be useful, no matter what height they're at, so long as they match up with other trolls.
Jason Farlander
And, certainly, those horns must be used, insofar as there is no such thing as a vestigial trait. Likewise, the human tailbone is incredibly useful. And those blind cave fish, they use their eyes to great advantage.
Fygg Nuuton
also IIRC deer have antlers, which are very different then horns.

however, i do think headbutting a troll would be a bad experience
Botch

And, certainly, those horns must be used, insofar as there is no such thing as a vestigial trait. Likewise, the human tailbone is incredibly useful. And those blind cave fish, they use their eyes to great advantage.

Did I say they weren't vestigial, at all. In reply to I merely suggest that since the growth investiture in full body dermal plating and large horns is much greater than a vestigial tailbone (um, see many apes with a tail?) it would have a more recent natural function before being possibly co-opted for secondary socio-sexual uses. All apes have a vestigial tailbone yet they are still predomiately quadrapedal, many blind cave fish don't have eyes at all. What about the appendix?

Many animals with horns, for example deer, use them primarily against each other in competition for mating. Therefore, the horns would be useful, no matter what height they're at, so long as they match up with other trolls.

1) There aren't many sentient deer with two arms and opposable thumbs that stand upright, nor do deer use them in the same aggresive manner as rams and bulls (the type of horn consitently depicted). Also not all types of deer use their horns in the same way, some wrestle or charge for mating reasons, some use them as defensive spines, some are vestigial, some are f'k-me shoes. Which particular type of deer are you refering to and what do their horns look like?

2) The lack symmetry for many troll's horns conflicts with the idea that they have been of primary social-sexual use.

3) The lack of dimorphism in horn growth also indicates that horns would not be part of gender specific sexual display or male mating combat.

4) Cross-checking with dinosaurs, the shape/type of horn depicted on trolls is only found in quadrapedal dinosaurs.

So trolls have the body proportions of a quadrapedal ape, the feet of a bipedal hominid, bipedal spinal development, quadrapedal horns, large re-inforced hands, and a suprising low effective strength/body considering their size.

... The elf expects to run 12 meters/turn, while the Troll expects 9. Untrained elves are faster, but not dramatically so

30% faster is a lot faster.
Kagetenshi
No, 30% is not a lot faster. 30% is actually meaninglessly faster. 1.3 meters per combat turn is marginally faster than 1 meter per combat turn. 3900 meters/turn is much faster than 3000 meters/turn. 12 meters/turn is not very much faster than 9.

~J
Ol' Scratch
... The elf expects to run 12 meters/turn, while the Troll expects 9. Untrained elves are faster, but not dramatically so

30% faster is a lot faster.

First of all, it's comparing an Elf, who has an overall +2 to Quickness bonus, to a Troll. Yet in the end, the difference is only a +1 bonus, just like with every other metatype. Comparing the Troll to an Ork or Human and their speed ends up identical assuming average stats. And the only reason there's a disparity in the first place is because they receive a -1 to Quickness which creates a derived secondary penalty as opposed to a racial-specific penalty for walking or running.

Second, the difference between a running speed of 12 and 9 is one point of Quickness.

Third, the higher the numbers go towards racial limits, the faster the Troll becomes over the Elf despite the Elf's bonus to Quickness and the Troll's penalty.

Fourth, I'm still waiting for those page references that show that Trolls are slow and that I'm an ignorant doodiehead for not using all the rules in the SR3 sourcebook. nyahnyah.gif
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Botch)
Did I say they weren't vestigial, at all. In reply to I merely suggest that since the growth investiture in full body dermal plating and large horns is much greater than a vestigial tailbone (um, see many apes with a tail?) it would have a more recent natural function before being possibly co-opted for secondary socio-sexual uses. All apes have a vestigial tailbone yet they are still predomiately quadrapedal, many blind cave fish don't have eyes at all. What about the appendix?

The thing you have to understand is that traits do not simply disappear with disuse. The use/disuse theory was rejected long ago. There has to be a significant selective disadvantage for a fixed trait to disappear. Given the relative ease with which (meta)humans manage to acquire more food than is necessary for survival, it is not unreasonable to assert that the energy demands of the horns and dermal bone deposits in trolls would not be subject to significant selective pressure.

On the flipside, at least with the horns (one might argue that dermal armor is a significant advantage in the sixth world), there does not seem to exist any significant advantage towards any particular horn size. As such, I would expect to see a wide range of horn lengths amongst trolls, as the lack of selective pressure tends to produce phenotypic diversity.

As a proto-biologist, I respect your attempts to apply biology to your gaming. I will go so far as to say that it makes me happy. So, thanks. A word (or, well, several) of caution, though: as with any fantasy setting, an attempt to apply rigorous evolutionary/ecological theory to magical creatures will only result in frustration. No, maybe it doesnt make sense that trolls would have evolved at all. You can use some handwaving and present a nice bs explanation, but trying to do the same thing for every creature will take you far more time than is worth spending. What ecological niche do century ferrets fill? How about juggernauts? How, exactly, did pegasi manage to evolve FEATHERED wings? What the hell is up with centaurs? Trying to answer these questions will more likely cause your brain to come out than generate any useful outcome.
Rev
In SR2 trolls had x2 movment multiplier I think, some people might be mixing that in to their recollections.

10% of humans do not have an appendix (naturally, not via surgery).

Also the appendix may be a good example of a local maximum of evolution. The appendix is fairly small, and doesn't do any known good for a person, however sometimes its contents become stagnant and infect. The likelyhood of this is related to the size of the opening connecting the appendix to the gut, the smaller this opening the more likely it is to become infected. Thus there is actually selection to keep the appendix larger than some minimum size in order to keep the opening large enough to not infect, evolving away the appendix all in one step is aparrantly tricky somehow (though it is happening, as a small fraction of people completely lack it) so the appendix has reached an equilibrium size below which it is actually more dangerous.

Traits do actually tend to melt away over time if they are truely useless through random mutation and there is always a metabolic cost to having a structure vs not having it, however things also get stuck in local maxima very easily. The tailbone is probably there because it is difficult for our development to go straight from some fairly large vertebra to attach the pelvis to to nothing at all immediately. It is developmentally easier to have the next vertebra be smaller, and the one after than, and so on until finally some threshold is reached. In the end the cost of having a tailbone there to break is sufficiently low that the intricate spinal development mutations that could get rid of it without messing up the spine or pelvis are too rare to spread (especially considering that in the wild there are far fewer hard surfaces to fall on and break one's tailbone).

Basically evolution is a greedy search algorithm and is not complete or optimal.

As a former biologist I agree that "its magic" is the best explination for most of the stuff in shadowrun. smile.gif
SirKodiak
As a former biologist I agree that "its magic" is the best explination for most of the stuff in shadowrun.

And, of course, there's always the issue of where exactly metahumans came from, and how you explain that (or don't explain) it in your own game world. If trolls are the reappearance of a historical type then perhaps the horns only had a use then, and don't anymore. If metahumans are the result of bleed-over from some parallel supernatural dimension then perhaps the horns were useful there.
Req
QUOTE (Rev)
As a former biologist I agree that "its magic" is the best explination for most of the stuff in shadowrun. smile.gif

As a current biologist, I would like to hearily applaud both your SR explanation and your career decisions. I can't wait until I'm a "former biologist." smile.gif
Kremlin KOA
sorry to burst everyone's bubble on the appendix but I know of somebody in perth who has a functional appendix, apparently it aids in the digestion of cellulose... but increases flatulence
Botch
Thanks for the nice words from the biologists (former or not). DF there are situational modifiers for cover/restriction/etc, differing signatures, et al spread throughout the rules.

Now seriously, considering all of the points I've raised can you agree that trolls can knuckle at speed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012