Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assistance Required
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dax
All right, here's the deal.

I've always run my SR game on MIRC. The problem is that one of my players is on a school network that, quite frankly, sucks. It hasn't been a huge problem, up until now. Now he's averaging about a minute lag.

So, I need a new venue. A new chat client of some kind so that we can get back to playing.

I really need some help on this.
Sabosect
That reminds me: I need to join a Shadowrun game online...
Bane
A minute lag? Yikes.

Assuming you want to stay with real-time communication, the only things I can think of off the top of my head are things like AIM / ICQ chatrooms.
Tal
Or any of the other IM clients. However, from the sounds of it, the problems server-side, not actually the connection method.
Belle Anderson
I've told you this already, but I'll state it here for FYI for others. ICQ Chat stinks to high heaven, there are stability problems if you have over 5 people in the room and getting people into the room is a pain. Now it's been a few years since we last played there...but it's left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

What about Yahoo Chat? We had to use that once with a player who had connection issues.

Ouchies
www.openrpg.com its a program that you can use. you have to install python and other things, but the link shows the howto on it all

its a cool program. it has builtin dice rollers and you can put your character sheets in it, using "nodes" its a bit complicated at first, but not too bad after you use it a few times.
Zolhex
The last time I did anything online I used webrpg but I hear you have to pay for it now so if that's true it sucks if not I liked it. It has some of the rules and the die roller rerolls d6's automaticlly. But like I say it has been awhile.
Fygg Nuuton
for all my online gaming needs i use aim chatrooms, not too bad of lag and has its own dice roller too
Wutasumi
I use MSN messenger. Sure, there ain't no dice roller, but that's what Ivory Games is for.
Deacon
Use a telnet client and head to Shadowrun Denver MUSH. True, you have to learn how to use their house rules, and it's not your game, but it's an alternative -- and a pretty fun one at that.
Tal
aMSN has a variety of plugins which come in handy for rping, as I recall.
Tal
aMSN has a variety of plugins which come in handy for rping, as I recall.
Wutasumi
QUOTE (Deacon @ Oct 13 2004, 08:16 PM)
Use a telnet client and head to Shadowrun Denver MUSH.  True, you have to learn how to use their house rules, and it's not your game, but it's an alternative -- and a pretty fun one at that.

[Shameless Plug] If you want to talk about MUDS/Mushes, go to www.awake2062.net , that's a great SR MUD.

[/Shameless Plug]Awake 2062
Kagetenshi
AIM works pretty well. //roll with arguments -dice# and -sides# in the chatrooms. Play around with them sometime.

~J
Sigil
I'd honestly suggest a MUSH, if you can find Shadowrun die-rolling code. Or ask, I can provide you with some. It works really well for me for other games. I just need to find an online SR game. smile.gif
Dark father
I have a long experience of playing over MSN messenger. I rarely got problems doing it (except if you consider both Shadowrun Missions games I ran this weekend. Both got problems with MSN). Yes it can't emulate a tabletop game, but in my experience it can bring great game sessions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012