Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another step closer.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ecclesiastes
Scientists gingerly tap into brain's power.
RangerJoe
My initial response was, "in a heartbeat," but then it struck me: what if I have the gift?
littlesean
yep, that thought struck me as well, in about the same order.
Tanka
Being a computer geek: Yes. I couldn't give a frag less if I Awakened/Goblinized (causing much stress on the 'jack). The benefits far outweight (at the moment) the drawbacks.
paul_HArkonen
I have to say I would do it as quickly as we could be sure my brain wouldn't explode. after that, as quickly as I get the money, who needs that essence anyway.
Tal
Hell, we might not even need to go under the knife. I'd be quite happy with just 'trodes...
Edward
Offcourse you are not poling a random sample of the community. RPGrs are high on the geek scale and so are datajacks.

Edward
Crimsondude 2.0
It's worth the risk.
Sabosect
Yes. The risks are worth it. Unless I'm a mage...
Kagetenshi
I don't care if I'm a Mage or not, give me the damn datajack. Give me two, maybe even four.

~J
Tal
So you use a little magical ability. Big deal.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Edward @ Oct 13 2004, 08:08 PM)
Offcourse you are not poling a random sample of the community. RPGrs are high on the geek scale and so are datajacks.

Edward

Speaking of which, the solitary 'no' vote came from a friend of mine. I'm not very happy with her right now.
Axe
I'd get one, but I'd probably end up getting something stuck in it.
RangerJoe
Yeah, a datajack sure sounds nice until you develop your first case of jack itch. ylech.
Eyeless Blond
Heh, I voted "No" as well, and I'm a geek at heart. So much so that I know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the keyboard is the One True Way, and all these newfangled inventions of convenience, like mice, will only serve to make people lazy. nyahnyah.gif

No, not really. I've just been under the knife once in my life for unnecessary surgery already, and I refuse to do it again until they can do it without having to slice open my head again. Trodes are fine until then. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
No, not really. I've just been under the knife once in my life for unnecessary surgery already, and I refuse to do it again until they can do it without having to slice open my head again. Trodes are fine until then. smile.gif

Do you mean to say that you've already had your braincase cut open -unnecessarily-? eek.gif
mmu1
Is this a question of whether I'd get a datajack if SR was reality, and it was that easy and simple, or whether I'd consider something equivalent in real life?

If the former, then probably yes.

If the latter... I'm more or less a biologist, and I took enough neuroscience to say "Are you out of your fucking mind?" to that... Unless I end up a quadruplegic for some reason - in that case, cut away...
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Oct 14 2004, 03:37 AM)

Do you mean to say that you've already had your braincase cut open -unnecessarily-? eek.gif

No, just my eyes. I have albinism, and one of the complications of that is a thing called nystagmus, a condition where your eyes move back and forth uncontrollably. The root cause is something to do with the optic nerve, but back in the 80s one of the treatments was to rearrange some of the muscles in the eyes. Studies showed later on that the surgery doesn't really help all that much. Hence, unnecessary surgery where my head was cut open. nyahnyah.gif

Essentially, I'm just saying that brain surgery is a really *really* big step. To do it for something as cosmetic and unnecessary as implanting a digital I/O device I pretty much relegate to the realm of fiction, probably forever, but at the very least for the next 50-100 years. By then I'll be too old to want *anything* in my head, let alone a piece of superfluous hardware. smile.gif
Jason Farlander
In real life, I doubt I would get a datajack until such time as there were lots and lots of compatable things that I could control via DNI, in which case it would be sufficiently cool.

However, one thing I can say with some certainty is that, if I had the money to do so and had read enough to know that the risks were minimal, I would *totally* get a sleep regulator.
Bob the Ninja
Heck yes! Give me a proto-Cyberdeck and watch me go.

Of course, I'd probably wind up a drooling idiot from some unseen complication...
DocMortand
Heh I voted "no" myself. I'm big into audio engineering and music - don't really need the equivalent of the Matrix yet...and with me tapped into the artist side of things, I have a feeling I'd be a Mage smile.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Bob the Ninja)
Of course, I'd probably wind up a drooling idiot from some unseen complication...

It's not an "unseen complication" if you've ever seen someone playing Everquest or any of the other MMORPGs. How someone can spend 8 hours camping a spawn spot looking for the dropped item so they can finish a decorative chair continues to elude me.
Canid13
I'd get a datajack in a heartbeat. If I turn out to be awakened, well so I've lost something I never knew I had.

Would I get a cyberarm? Yes. Would I get wired reflexes? Yes. Would I get pretty much anything and everything I could? Yes.

There's a line in Robocop 2 where 'Johnson' turns to 'the old man' and says "I've never met anyone who'd want to be a robot."

Well, that's cos he never met me... and I am deadly serious. Flesh is weak, so long as I have my mind, science can replace the rest.
Cable
I recently went to a lecture on this topic in Pittsburgh. Seems the only real problem now is how long the probes placed into the brain can stay before the brain walls them off. Top time in monkey subjects who control robotic arms is only 3 weeks!
nezumi
I'd sell my right arm for a datajack. Then I'd get a cyberarm with an internal cyberdeck!

Seriously, I've told my wife she can get a tattoo when I can get a cyberarm. I would accept a datajack in its place.
Wounded Ronin
I'd never want to get a datajack. I'm a physad. rotfl.gif
TheBovrilMonkey
I'd say yes, but I'd be worried about the time it takes before a faster model comes out and it's obsolete.

I wouldn't want the fancy gizmo stuck in my head needing to be upgraded every few months because the data transfer rate is too slow for the new stuff I want to play with.
Thistledown
In about 10 or 20 years, I think. However, I think I'd only want it if I could also get an image link for my eye, and some headware memory. Read books, play games, etc, just by staring at my eyes.
hobgoblin
ill consider this when they learn to write to the brain in a meaningfull way, not just read it like they do now...
Backgammon
And I'll stop considering it the second they can write to your brain.
mmu1
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Oct 14 2004, 01:18 PM)
And I'll stop considering it the second they can write to your brain.

What's the point of having a datajack, then? The whole idea behind "jacking in" is that you feel like you're there, you have more control over the device, and you get more feeedback.

If the "datajack" is one-way only, then all you have is just another interface tool you can hook up to your computer to make things happen on screen, which hardly seems worth getting brain surgery for.
Herald of Verjigorm
There seems to be a difference of meanings here. One wants it to write directly to the sensory input regions, while the other is concerned about it writing to anything else.
Req
I'm out, until the encephalons come along.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
There seems to be a difference of meanings here. One wants it to write directly to the sensory input regions, while the other is concerned about it writing to anything else.

Ahh.. yeah, hadn't seen it was meant as writing into sensory part of your brain.

Still, I'd get a one-way datajack. The ability to use my computers at the speed of thought is applealing to me. Of course, currently it'd be useless cause the computer wouldn't be able to keep pace.

But I have issue with letting a datajack write into my sensory input. The dangers are immense.

nezumi
QUOTE (Backgammon)
But I have issue with letting a datajack write into my sensory input. The dangers are immense.

Bah... that's just an old wive's tale.
Cynic project
Um, I would have one,and a lap top..The world would never interfear with my fun, again....
Edward
In spite of what SR would have you believe? It is orders of magnitude harder if not imposable to create a trode net than an implanted data jack.

As to the question of how long before your brain walls of the contacts. That is what the nano tech included in every bit of cyber wear is fore.

Edward
GlassJaw
Hmm, not sure about the datajack but I am planning to get LASIK!
Phaeton
My response:

SMEG YES.
littlesean
Glassjaw brings up something interesting. Think about how short a time Laser Eye surgery has been around. Consider that the general accepted public knowledge of lasers was that they could blind you, but we have been doing Lasik for years now. How long will it be before datajacks get the bugs worked out?
mmu1
QUOTE (littlesean @ Oct 15 2004, 04:12 PM)
Glassjaw brings up something interesting. Think about how short a time Laser Eye surgery has been around. Consider that the general accepted public knowledge of lasers was that they could blind you, but we have been doing Lasik for years now. How long will it be before datajacks get the bugs worked out?

We're talking here about the difference between a newer, better cutting tool, and interfacing with the most complex machine known to man. I'll be surprised as hell if they get a real, two-way datajack in our lifetime.

Wouldn't be terribly unexpected either if it eventually turns out to be possible, but completely impractical for 99% of the population because of the level of complexity and the amount of surgery involved, and it never happens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012