Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which of these is the best way to spice up a game?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Otaku On Acid
I'm running with a group of players and I want to make it a memorable game. I'm starting them out with standard shadowrun missions, they are currently being employed by Aztechnology but don't know it. I don't know what the current overall plot for the game shall be, but I have a few ideas, and I know I want to make it a memorable game. Here are the basic explanations of the ideas
1) Have the group's shaman go toxic. Simple concept, the shaman is an npc and a useful ally, but over time he would slowly be corrupted and turn toxic.
2) All out corp war. This is stolen from cyberpunk, but imagine an all corp war. Similar to World War I where business alliances drag more and more corps onto the battlefield on one side or the other.
3) Alternative Arcology scenario. I don't want to run the standard Renraku Arcology scare, because everybody has read it. So I would use the idea from here
4) Some bug scenario
Wounded Ronin
I think that ninjas are the best. You could have waves of ninjas attack the party dealing lots of stun damage. If the party wins, great, stun damage goes away. If they lose, they will have to RP some ninja interrogation sessions.
Herald of Verjigorm
Remember that Renraku isn't the only corp to own an arcology. Starting with a simple swipe and swim at an aquacology of your choice (doesn't even need to be acknowledged in the books) can be a great place for things to go wrong.

Drek, have the shaman resort to toxic magic to save his own hide from the hive that has taken over an aquacology.
Tal
"You know you have a good plot when there's intrigue, lust, murder, and the opportunity to write - at any given section of the plot - the phrase: 'Suddenly.... NINJAS!"
Kagetenshi
I would say combine 1 and 2, and possibly toss in a bit of 3 (but that scenario really is implausible, IMO).

~J
Fortune
I must protest the complete absence of Pirates!
Herald of Verjigorm
Pirates would occur before and/or after the hive confrontation in the aquacology.
Wutasumi
All the pirates got killed by ninga!

PS: THE PLURAL OF NINJA IS NINJA, OR NINJI!
Tal
What about pirate ninjas? Then they're deadly on and off the land!
toturi
A toxic mutant ninja pirate who is a free Insect Hive Queen/Mother in control of an underwater arcology in a toxic sea.
Kremlin KOA
P-Fix 8 + Skillwires + dead bodies + shedim spirits = Universal soldier
DocMortand
I swear, for a second as I was reading that I saw "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" instead of "toxic mutant ninja pirate".
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)
A toxic mutant ninja pirate who is a free Insect Hive Queen/Mother in control of an underwater arcology in a toxic sea.

I'll play in it if you run it! wink.gif
Arethusa
Have your players kill an immortal elf or dragon. If you are over the age of 14, follow with extreme shame and self loathing.
Zenmaxer
I'm a big fan of the twisted johnson, but that tends to kill runners.
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (toturi @ Oct 15 2004, 02:29 PM)

I'll play in it if you run it! wink.gif

Oh, I forgot.

A toxic mutant ninja pirate who is a free Insect Hive Queen/Mother in control of an underwater arcology in a toxic sea with her own pet toxic mutant Leviathan flesh form.
Fortune
I'm still game! smile.gif
Connor
I'm all for spicing things up with the shedim. Have a shedim take over the mage/shaman while they're out doing astral recon. This of course is just the start of things to come, leading them off into a confrontation with a master shedim and his shedim lackeys.

Of course, who the master shedim is impersonating can lead to all sorts of fun as well... mob boss, high level corp exec, the mayor, etc... all sorts of things to spice up a game with the shedim!
Bokujin
Yeah I vote for the shedim idea... they make the perfect villians.
toturi
QUOTE (toturi)
A toxic mutant ninja pirate who is a free Insect Hive Queen/Mother in control of an underwater arcology in a toxic sea with her own pet toxic mutant Leviathan flesh form.

And after the runners kill both, we can ressurect them with Master Shedim for Round 2! vegm.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (toturi @ Oct 15 2004, 01:12 PM)

And after the runners kill both, we can ressurect them with Master Shedim for Round 2! vegm.gif

I have just the character. cool.gif
DocMortand
Hell, raid Novatech for a live cyber-zombie...now remember, you have to take him/her/it ALIVE.
Kagetenshi
I'd debate whether you can call them alive in the first place.

~J
DocMortand
okay okay...how about "functional"? With the mage handler alive? That suitably nasty? smile.gif
Wutasumi
Nah, suitably nasty is (and keep in mind, that my players would have to be a special breed of asshole to get me to do this but...)

1. Send players to party. (Players are now effectivly disarmed)
2. Party turns out to be a star bust for (Insert random crime here)
3. Lone Star raids everything the players own, leaving them weaponless.
4. Runners are left out to dry.
5. Have LS be following another corps orders. I personaly like Fuchi. (forces them to raid, with a hold out pistol)
6. Have this all lead to a small group of people who are pulling the strings of some CEO.
7. Have the small group of people turn out to be exrememly powerful wizards, and one dragon... WHO IS A MASTER NINJA!

Welllll it'll spice the game up, while the dragon is spicing the player up that is.
Kremlin KOA
I think you guys miss the sheer nastiness of my plan, after they are p-fixed, killed and shedimed (make sure the shedim is lower force than the chip) you no longer have a limit as to how much cyber they can have, and they regenerate. now while the shedim can't operate the cyverware, the chip is in charge and it can and will use all cyber to it's advantage give these things superthyriod + orthoskin + titanium bone lace + the body boost from the shedim infestation and heavy sec spec armor and they stop spas 22 bursts. now slave these chips to an AEP style program and you have the perfect recycled security guards. just hope deus don't take over...
Wutasumi
Before anyone accuses me of being a PKing GM, I'd just like to say I've only gone out of my way to kill a party 2 times.
But really, I just think it's fun coming up with shit like that.

But damn do I hate these font size options. sleepy.gif
Wutasumi
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
I think you guys miss the sheer nastiness of my plan, after they are p-fixed, killed and shedimed (make sure the shedim is lower force than the chip) you no longer have a limit as to how much cyber they can have, and they regenerate. now while the shedim can't operate the cyverware, the chip is in charge and it can and will use all cyber to it's advantage give these things superthyriod + orthoskin + titanium bone lace + the body boost from the shedim infestation and heavy sec spec armor and they stop spas 22 bursts. now slave these chips to an AEP style program and you have the perfect recycled security guards. just hope deus don't take over...

eek.gif
Wounded Ronin
This is why when I play I don't invest too much into any character I create. So the GM can go ahead and kill my character with extreme prejudice and I just laugh and clap at the evilness of it, and then bang out a new one quickly.
Kagetenshi
There is no player. There is only… Zuul.

~J
Nath
QUOTE (Otaku On Acid)
4) Some bug scenario

If your players know SR universe well enough and consider Aztechnology to be the most evil corp in the world, do this: reveal them that they work for Aztechnology, check that they do scream and weep that they don't want to, that Aztechnology is evil and all that, and before they leave have Ares and the Draco Foundation offering them to work as double agents. Let them foil a mission or two by transmitting Ares vital information, then have them giving Ares Intelligence the localisation of an Azzie listening post (one in San Diego spying on California and Pueblo for instance). Read Threats 2 and have the runners around when Ares will send insect spirits to pass through the post heavy defense. Give them a chance to survive, wait and see how they'll react when Ares will try to silence them, and they will be forced to ask Aztechnology for forgiveness and protection.
Wutasumi
QUOTE (Nath)
QUOTE (Otaku On Acid @ Oct 15 2004, 05:52 AM)
4) Some bug scenario

If your players know SR universe well enough and consider Aztechnology to be the most evil corp in the world, do this: reveal them that they work for Aztechnology, check that they do scream and weep that they don't want to, that Aztechnology is evil and all that, and before they leave have Ares and the Draco Foundation offering them to work as double agents. Let them foil a mission or two by transmitting Ares vital information, then have them giving Ares Intelligence the localisation of an Azzie listening post (one in San Diego spying on California and Pueblo for instance). Read Threats 2 and have the runners around when Ares will send insect spirits to pass through the post heavy defense. Give them a chance to survive, wait and see how they'll react when Ares will try to silence them, and they will be forced to ask Aztechnology for forgiveness and protection.

biggrin.gif
AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DAMN! That is just SICK! How could you be that fragging evil?!
toturi
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)

Actually where does it say that the chip can override spirit control? Or that chip rating has to be over spirit Force?
Kremlin KOA
weell I was inferencing a lot here, in CC it points out that a P-Fix 8 can override the original inhabitant's control... given that the original inhabitant is effectively the owner's spirit I extrapolated that a force 6 or less spirit would have no better chance of wresting control of the body than the original inhabitant would.
Sabosect
You want evil? Remember that some dragons can take on human form. And a squad of dragons is much better than a squad of humans. Throw in the right physical mask alterations...
Wutasumi
Which is how I got the Dragon MASTER NINJA!
FrostyNSO
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif OTAKU TRUST ME smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Their Johnson is a beautiful, beautiful woman. Maybe latin, maybe not, maybe. She's impressed with one of the male PC's (for whatever reason, maybe his rugged good looks?) and after the meet becomes interested in more than just business. If things start to get serious, the PC's could become entangled in the cutt-throat corp politics that she calls a career.

In any case, this could be used in conjuction with any of the other ideas in this thread. But it is ALWAYS a good idea to inject some good-ol' fashioned sex appeal into a run.
Starfurie
Ok, here's mine.

Underworld war.

Non-Seattle yaks trying to establish a foot-hold to attack Seattle yaks.

Seoulpa groups taking on both.

Triads infiltrating the docks.

Russian mafia cornering the Seattle-Vladivostok smuggling route.

Seattle mafia dealing with the internal dynamics of the Mob War hit still!

And each one of my runners aligned with one (or more!) of those groups.

That's down twisted.
Wutasumi
Mafia V.S. Yak runs are fun, beacause one side is guarnenteed to hate you, and both have enough power to make your life HELL!
Kremlin KOA
Well one of my campaigns (the first one Edward played in, hs first SR game." Had one Triad wujen, a face with too many friends (at least one contact in each of the major corps and one in each syndicate) a Houngan with ties to the caribbean league pirates, a mafia affiliated ork a yak affiliated runner and I forget the rest.

Body count was pretty high in that run and at one point PC actions led to the Triad wujen being hired for wetwork on the Houngan

(never let multiple initiated mages into your game with levitate foci and power foci... they played "dragonball" in Redmond Barrens the triad wujen won btw)
Wounded Ronin
Did they hover over smouldering craters and say, "No! It cannot be!"?
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Nath)
QUOTE (Otaku On Acid @ Oct 15 2004, 05:52 AM)
4) Some bug scenario

bugger the azzies, I'd flip on ares and go to the Draco foundation, insist that they use any and all means available to check my honesty and desire to help out and hide behind their apron strings.

On my team's finale run we stole crate x in room y, and found out it had that replacement flesh for ghoul food. I figured we didn't know if the people we were stealing it from were gonna sit on it, or release it, ditto for the people who we were stealing it for. Now my character's a total spaz and scared shitless, so here we are in a stolen van ( I crashed our getaway semi into the front entrance to get in) So here we are trying to getaway, I dial up the Draco Foundation while one of the other guys drives, and the conversation goes something like this:

"Draco Foundation, this is Alice speaking, how can I help you?"

"Hi, this is gonna sound weird, but we're in a bit of a bind. Might have something you folks want though."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. Kind of in a hurry though, so we were hoping to stop on by right now if we could. Be about 4 minutes or so."

"Ok, sounds good. Give us a call as you arrive."

"One more thing... we're coming in kinda hot. You might wanna prepare a reception party."

"We've got that covered."

Nath
QUOTE (Nath)

QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
bugger the azzies, I'd flip on ares and go to the Draco foundation, insist that they use any and all means available to check my honesty and desire to help out and hide behind their apron strings.

At best I can imagine they would be ready to spend the money to erase the memories of the events instead of just killing the runners. They can't leave them wandering freely with that sort of information. Even if they don't like the truth, the Draco Foundation has to protect Ares reputation to protect Daviar and the Haeffner Administration. But who would they trust ? They have a long working relationship with Ares services, who could give them a lot more believe (yet forged) evidence that the runners tried to work as triple agents. With me as the GM, it wouldn't be that much of a cakewalk nyahnyah.gif
Kremlin KOA
I'd go to cross, ask for protection and give thewm any evidence and details... Now tell me that is in Cross' best inerests to keep this under wraps
toturi
Depending on how you choose to play the Draco Foundation and its promise of "hope". Remember while Daviar holds the shares in Ares, it is Aina Dupree that really runs things in DF. And given her track record against magical threats, anyone attempting to cover up had better not letting her know about it(fat chance) or at best hope they do not get fired(literally).

Or alternatively you can turn the evidence over to COMA or even CDC.
Kremlin KOA
also Daviar hates knight with a passion, probably a mad passion at that
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Nath)
QUOTE (Nath)

QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)

At best I can imagine they would be ready to spend the money to erase the memories of the events instead of just killing the runners. They can't leave them wandering freely with that sort of information. Even if they don't like the truth, the Draco Foundation has to protect Ares reputation to protect Daviar and the Haeffner Administration. But who would they trust ? They have a long working relationship with Ares services, who could give them a lot more believe (yet forged) evidence that the runners tried to work as triple agents. With me as the GM, it wouldn't be that much of a cakewalk nyahnyah.gif

Can't they just use magic hoopajoop to tell we're for real?
Nath
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
also Daviar hates knight with a passion, probably a mad passion at that

I don't see her hating him enough to involve in such big scandal Ares, and by extension the Haeffner Administration, herself and the Draco Foundation, just before the elections. Besides, I'm all but sure Dunkelzahn's seven years plan he gave her for Ares says on the last line "destroy Ares and your own reputations and take public retirement" (though... you never know).

QUOTE (toturi)
Depending on how you choose to play the Draco Foundation and its promise of "hope". Remember while Daviar holds the shares in Ares, it is Aina Dupree that really runs things in DF. And given her track record against magical threats, anyone attempting to cover up had better not letting her know about it(fat chance) or at best hope they do not get fired(literally).

Aina does run the day-to-day business. Sending a strike team to evacuate some runners with key information at least about Aztechnology and eventually about Ares if you trust them, maybe killing some Ares operatives in the process, is not day-to-day business. Daviar would probably find some time in her agenda to handle the matter. The DF shadow assets rimarily come from Dunkelzahn own network, they owes loyalty to Daviar more than to Aina.

That's assuming the info goes all the way up to the board, since the runners ain't likely to have Aina's personal cell phone number and will rather pick the public number of the closest DF offices ("hmm, hello, I wan't to talk to your local clandestine action officer..."). The GM could also wisely pick one of the many towns were the DF does not have any offices, preventing the runners from finding a safehouse that easily even if the DF gets involved. That's precisely why I was thinking about San Diego: right down in Aztlan territory, no DF, no Seraphim, no contacts, nobody but Aztechnology and the operatives Ares sent there to conduct the raid and evacuate the runners if they didn't have seen what they weren't supposed to.

QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
Can't they just use magic hoopajoop to tell we're for real?

What do you think the runners will have to say ? "I swear, I saw a squad of insect spirits and they were wearing Ares t-shirt" ? Besides, you can never know if you succeded in your Analyze Truth roll, and it only tells you what the target think to be true. There would no difference between an honest witness, a agent prepared by Aztechnology best mages and a wacky conspiracy theorists.
Kremlin KOA
I reiterate: go to Cross
Nath
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
I reiterate: go to Cross

I read, I read, and I have nothing specific to answer about Cross & Aurelius. They're part of the reason I would set the thing in San Diego, where Cross is not more present than any other corps save Aztechnology (and if the Seraphim have any presence there, runners from the outside wouldn't know it). But I guess something could be made of the runners jumping to a third wagon in emergency. The Seraphim have a lot of potential by themmselves for the continuation off the campaign.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012