Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few Lore questions...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Feonyx
I might have missed it in the piles and piles of books of Shadowrun Lore but here are a few questions:

1. Where did all these American Natives come from? Today there are very few true blooded Indians left.
2. The crash of 2029 was in part caused by Corporate Phiber Optics all of a sudden being readable and unsecure. Was it coincidence that a virus then ran rampant destroying years of R&D and Corporation data? Why would the Corporations not have back ups of this data?
3. Why would you ever want to make a fake credstick? I mean the amount of time and money needed to make a good one and the risk of being thrown in jail for using it does not seem worth it.
4. The technology and the fact Corporations run the world is very believable, but The Awakening brough Dragons and Magic to the world. How can one explain it without saying "Um.. its a fictional reality dude". I mean are there any scientific ways of explaining The Awakening.

I have a few more questions, but those will do for now. Thanks in advance smile.gif.

Feonyx
Nikoli
1. Not all members of the NAN are true full bloods. In their need for troops and support, the normally traditionalist councils may have relaxed previous policies concerning half-bloods and allowed them to join the tribe.

2. Many companies today are getting away from magnetic tape backup and moving to SAN backup. the problem with any magnetic storage is that it is ridiculously easy to lose.

3. Using the fake one (when it works) doesn't get traced back to the guy who went to great lengths to become "dead" in the system.

4. While nothing scientific let's look at this:
England, no native small lizards, let alone large ones, yet heavily prevalent legends of Dragons. I believe the same with Japan and China. It is conceivable that some of these legends come from much further back, drawing from the ED-SR metaplots, there was a group whose charge was to slaughter dragons as they slept between mana cycles, what better way to assist this than to keep recycling the stories of "bad and evil" dragons to continue to recruit the young and impressionable knights. Also, almost all early cultures have stories of magic, these could be due to random minor mana spikes allowing those more in tune to occasionally manifest random powers. Personally I wish the SR magic system was more fluid like this, where spells were more like skills but could still be attempted through defaulting to the magic attribute.
blakkie
First, i have always taken the NAN to be more about state-of-mind than actually genetic heritage "purity". So Metis and other mixed genetic heritage could still fall under NAN, no?

In Canada NNA compose something close to 5% of the population. While that still isn't a huge number of people, only about 1.4 million people, when you deal with a sparsely populated area you can cover a lot of ground with 'em.
Ancient History
1. Where did all these American Natives come from? Today there are very few true blooded Indians left.

The percentage of AmerInd blood needed is /really/ small to qualify as "officially AmerInd." Chalk the rest of it up to enthusiastic breeding.

2. The crash of 2029 was in part caused by Corporate Phiber Optics all of a sudden being readable and unsecure. Was it coincidence that a virus then ran rampant destroying years of R&D and Corporation data? Why would the Corporations not have back ups of this data?

Aha, someone has been reading "Shadowplay"! Actually, the Crash was /not/ directly connected to fiber optic lines; check this out. Aside from the physical damage done by the Crash Virus, the economic crash that accompanied it killed a slew of corporations, and with them went most of their research.

3. Why would you ever want to make a fake credstick? I mean the amount of time and money needed to make a good one and the risk of being thrown in jail for using it does not seem worth it.

THat's the point. nyahnyah.gif If forgery is too difficult, then the basic validity of the currency is still secure. Otherwise, everybody would be making their own credsticks and the economy would go in the shitter. That said, there might be times when you need a fake credstick.

4. The technology and the fact Corporations run the world is very believable, but The Awakening brough Dragons and Magic to the world. How can one explain it without saying "Um.. its a fictional reality dude". I mean are there any scientific ways of explaining The Awakening.

Depends on your concept of "Science." UGE was originally thought to be mutation, you could argue that most Awakened critters are genetically engineered or mutant or evoled strains. If you want to look at "magic" as psionics or tapping into an otherdimensional energy source with advanced mathematics, you could do that. Frankly speaking, the concept of a mana cycle is a good stab at approaching magic "scientifically."

Feonyx
Thanks much you guys smile.gif... all questions answered perfectly smile.gif

Feonyx
Axe
One additional thing about the NAN populations: I remember reading somewhere that since they were isolated from the rest of the world in concentration camps, they weren't really affected by the VITAS outbreak.
Crimsondude 2.0
Yes. SR2, "And so it came to pass..." Probably SR1 and 3, too.

SoNA also said a lot of Latinos stuck around (which makes infinitely more sense than what Findley wrote in Aztlan about how many Mexicans returned to Mexico.) and, well, statistically they are going to be the majority of the U.S. population by the time SR takes place.

But I haven't seen many references to them in canon material about the UCAS (except for Roz Hernandez, who reminds me of a Spanish woman I know), so I figure they're all in CAS, Cal, or NAN--which makes sense.

Coming from a majority-minority state, though, even I was shocked at how many Mexicans and Indians live in Phoenix. I mean I knew, but I didn't really know until I finally visited.
Nikoli
Rather Ironic, the fledgling NAN population saved by the very device meant to end it, those damnable deat.. err I mean, reeducation camps...
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah. They'd have been more successful if they instituted the Just Folk program and its ilk.
Edward
How dose psionics mesh any better than magic into current scientific theories. If you limit your considerations to alleged real world effects they are different names for the same thing.

Edward
Ancient History
My point. Some people think "psionics" is much more scientific than "magic." Probably because you can boil it down to "the brain does it." twirl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012