Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rigging deckers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Edward
Rigging deckers. Where???

I have seen references to some form of remote control module for deckers that allows them to interact at some level with drone control networks.

I cant for the life of me find it.

Could somebody pleas give me a page reference.

Thankyou.

Edward
mfb
Matrix pg 73, Remote Control program.
Rigger 3 page 95, System-Control Rig Emulator.
Crusher Bob
Or if you are talking about running drones while jack in, take a look at the robotic pilot rules.
Plastic Rat
QUOTE (mfb)
Matrix pg 73, Remote Control program.
Rigger 3 page 95, System-Control Rig Emulator.

Odd, i've just been searching my ass off for the very same thing. One question, Matrix sez the following:

Remote Control Utility ....Allows the user to control his drones or the drones and components of a CCSS.  The user must have a communications link with the drone, either through CCSS, a rigger remote control deck, or a wireless link.

Right, not too interested in decking a CCSS, that's pretty well covered in what I can find in Rigger 3. I want to control drones, without lugging around a separate Remote Controll Deck.

Does a Rigger Protocol Emulation Module come with the radio connection capacity to turn a Cyberdeck into a Remote control deck?

What's a wireless link, and where do I find the info?

If I still need a Remote control deck, why go to all the trouble of lugging my Cyberdeck around with all these extra goodies?

Basically, I want to be a decker with a side dabbling in Rigging the odd drone, via captain's chair mode. I'm happy to put a decent pilot or robot brain into it, I just don't feel like getting kitted out with a full rigging setup i.e. VCR and Full RC deck, so what is my best option. and more importantly, what books do I find this info in?
mfb
these are all very good questions that aren't really answered by the books. here is how i would handle it: do an Electronics B/R (5) test on a radio uplink for a cyberdeck. this is enough, in my opinion and experience, to alter the radio uplink to transmit on the frequencies used for remote-control stuff. this becomes your wireless link to your drone. QED.

a wirless link is any link that--whoah!--doesn't use wires. you could do the same thing by welding a satellite dish onto your drone, and connecting to it via satellite uplink, or sticking an IR reciever onto the drone and connecting via point-to-point laser, etcetera.
Necro Tech
Actually my decker is starting that very thing. The wireless links are all found in Matrix. Equip your deck with one, the drone with its counterpart (radio or cellphone being logical) and you are good to go. Its good and bad. Your drones have to have good pilot and sensor ratings (other wise they can't send you good intel) but no one can miji you as you lack a true rigger network. However damn near any jammer will lock you out of your drones. Also, being a decker allows you to take advantage of the rules in rigger 3 about programming command sets for your drones which allows you to make up some of the flexibility lost by not having a VCR. Don't try combat this way, you'll just piss away money that is better spent on your deck, but a few micro drones and a condor or two is fabulous if your party lacks a rigger, like mine.
mfb
according to R3 page 41, rigger networks use a protocol called MSST (mobile subscriber simsense technology), as well as "specialized hardware and software components" that, according to the book, cannot be imported into regular radios or cyberdeck.

...right, that's crap.

i, personally, would rule that as long as you're using a powerful enough radio--anything over, say, rating 3, so that you've got two radio frequencies per remote control channel--you've got the makings of a viable remote-control network. like i said, you should have to monkey with the transeivers, popping in MSST encoder/decoders at each end. other than that, i honestly can't imagine what magical super-technology a remote-control network could possibly require, to set it apart from a regular old radio network.
Jerry Rigg
Wow, you really can make a decker-rigger-mage.
Ol' Scratch
Conjurer Riggers are amazingly affective characters.
mfb
now you know the true power of the dark side.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (mfb)
according to R3 page 41, rigger networks use a protocol called MSST (mobile subscriber simsense technology), as well as "specialized hardware and software components" that, according to the book, cannot be imported into regular radios or cyberdeck.

...right, that's crap.

i, personally, would rule that as long as you're using a powerful enough radio--anything over, say, rating 3, so that you've got two radio frequencies per remote control channel--you've got the makings of a viable remote-control network. like i said, you should have to monkey with the transeivers, popping in MSST encoder/decoders at each end. other than that, i honestly can't imagine what magical super-technology a remote-control network could possibly require, to set it apart from a regular old radio network.

Well, see, the problem here is bandwidth. Riggers basically have to transmit and receive a full simsense signal to and from their drones, something that deckers with their compression and shortcuts (read: ASIST) don't have to. Just to give you a sense of the scope of the difference between radio bandwidth and simsense bandwidth, FM radio can, in theory, transmit about 100 megabits per second, at maximum. That's not bad, but it's far far below what you'd need to actually transmit the complete simsense signal that a rigger would need. I don't find it hard to believe at all that you need some sort of special voodoo/techno-magic device to transmit that kind of data through the air.
mfb
eh? riggers have MSST, deckers have ASIST. i'll agree that riggers might need a bit more, since they've got more connections, but you can only run rull simsense to one drone at a time--same as ASIST. 600 mbps (the minimum i require) should be plenty.
Tal
Deckers don't actually recieve the full simsense signal anyway, from what I understood of it. They can only use captain's chair mode, which would I assume, be limited to only the most basic simsense feeds.
Eyeless Blond
Ah, right. Objection withdrawn then. I thought people were advocating that a decker should be allowed to jump into a vehicle and control it like a rigger does. My bad.
Tal
Gawd, I'd hope not. That'd just be wierd...
Plastic Rat
Ok, so on the electronic warfare front, would a decker with the electronic warfare skill and whatever setup he was using be able to MIJI other rigger networks and take controll of their drones?
Tal
If he can figure out the frequency, presumeably so. Unless the rigger has a clever little trick up his sleeve like a dead man's lever.
mfb
indeed. he'd need a decent-rated transciever within range of the drone or network he wanted to MIJI.
Edward
My interpretation is that the Remote Control Utility will cover for your VCR (without allowing you to jump in or have a control pool). If you have a radio link in your deck you can captains chare 1 drone. If you want more you need to plug into a RCD. Logically a single unit CD/RCD could be created but it would have a lower conceivability than ether individuality. Cost and target number to create would be a matter of GM discretion. They are probably not available except as custom jobs or more likely DIY)

As to combat find a shadow mechanic and invest in a steal lynx with an extra 8 points of vehicle armor (it can carry it) and the usual refinements.

Remember as a Decker even more than as rigger. Autosofts are your friends.

Bandwidth is not an issue to riggers using Decker wireless links. Baseline simsense before post production is only 1mp/sec. Transfer rates on the slowest wireless links are much hire than that before you affect trace speed.

There are references saying you can’t deck threw a cell phone ether. I don’t have matrix hear but most of the wireless links in there won’t work due to the mobility of a drone (you going to loose LOS or point the receiver in the wrong direction. Radio and celphone should work. Radio is what riders use all the time, cell phone would be good but do you really want to give a rigger global access. One of there limiting factors has always been effective range. Of cause the bandwidth on a normal cell phone or radio coms unit will but be close to what you need for rigging or decking.

If a Decker wants to conduct MIJI he would need a rating for an RCD. Thus he would need an RCD but by plugging his CD into his data jack and his RCD with an RCU he can do without the VCR. ouch

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012