Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do physad powers show on the astral?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
McSass
I was trying to remember if physad powers show up on the astral, and I seem to recall they do, but only powers that need to activate. Is this wrong?

Also, how would the new adept power facial sculpt work? Would the adept "shine" or whatever you wish the effect to look like only while changing their features, or would they be active the entire time they are mimicing a different face?
Wounded Ronin
I think that someone looking at you in the astral, if you're not an initiate with masking, would simply be able to tell that you're a physad. And, like, the number of successes they got would let them know less or more about your powers.
mfb
actually, you can't tell from assensing whether or not someone is a mage, physad, or whatever. you can only tell if they're Awakened or not, and what their Essence, Magic, and Force are.
Ol' Scratch
Well, save that a single success will tell you the general class of a magical subject (with power focus, fire elemental, and manipulation spells as the given examples). I'm pretty sure that would include telling if they were a hermetic mage, an adept, or a shaman at the very least, too.

But then again, the assensing rules are poorly written all around, so... whatever. smile.gif
mfb
hm. possibly. i'd always assumed that they didn't include an example like "shaman", "hermetic mage", or whatever, on purpose.
Nikoli
Shaman's and their adept types are easy to spot (including path of shaman phys-ads) by their Shamanic Mask, otherwise I'd imagine it's rather tough to know for certain.
I could see a Magic Background test for complimentary dice on a perception test to try and pick up on habits and tell-tales after acertaining if target is awakened or not.

Things like maybe most (not all) hermetics use a particular type of jargon, due to the structured view of magic where shamans use a more free form and so on and so forth.
McSass
So it seems that the powers themselves don't show up? I just wonder because if you are using facial sculpt, and you get assensed, if they see your face glowing, then it kinda ruins the fun...
Nikoli
no more so than spending a few hundres thousand nuyen on a ruthenium polymer suit and imaging scanners to have it rendered useless by a free ability for a low-power mage guard.
Synner
Any Awakened type without active Masking should be identifiable as such on the astral at a glance. Any sustained spell, spirit present or active adept power is also d
Ol' Scratch
Uhm, no, sorry Synner but you're mistaking again. You need at least one success on an Assensing Test just to tell anything at all about a subject, including if he's just Awakened or not.
mfb
identifiable as such, as long as you've got 3 spare seconds and can get at least 1 success on Int against TN 4. "a glance" works, for a description of that.
Ol' Scratch
I suppose. Point is, you can't tell anything about a subject until you scrutinize it with an Assensing Test.
Synner
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Oct 20 2004, 08:47 PM)
Uhm, no, sorry Synner but you're mistaking again.  You need at least one success on an Assensing Test just to tell anything at all about a subject, including if he's just Awakened or not.

Apologies, Funkenstein is correct I didn't make it clear that the Assensing Test was integral - IMHO the Test itself should be automatic if a character says he's looking at something on the Astral. My post should read:

"Any Awakened type without active Masking should be identifiable as such on the astral at a glance - requiring a single success in an Assensing Test. Any sustained spell, spirit present or active adept power should also be detectable as active magic use. This means is that looking at a line up an astrally percieving character will pick up an unMasked magician or adept from his mundane companions and know he has a spell or power active with one success.

IMHO it requires more than one success to identify exactly what type of power is being used, just as it requires more than one success to get the exact spell and force a sorcerer is sustaining."
Cochise
With the notable exception for Adepts that you get insight on powers of the Adept from the second success on the assensing test (somewhere in MitS) while you'll never be able to tell the spell list of a mage ... even with 5+ successes ...
Herr Nebel
The rule for assensing adept powers is on page 21 (MitS).

QUOTE (MitS on page 21)
An aura reader who scores 2 or more successes on an Aura Reading Test studying a adept's aura gains some insight  into what powers the adept has, and at what levels. Each success above 2 reveals one power, or the exact level of one power, the adept possesses.
Canid13
Okay, so lemme get this straight, an adept with Increased Strength doesn't show up as using a power while another adept using Boosted Strength does?

How about someone with Improved Sense? Or Improved Ability?

Some powers I don't see as being detectable.... you may be able to tell the person is Awakened, or that he's an adept, but whether he's actively using magic would surely depend on the power.

Else it makes Masking an absolute must for anything you want to ever concieve of doing on the astral and magic related in general. I think things are getting a little too stacked in favour of the initiates out there.
toturi
No, as long as the Aura Reader has a certain number of successes he knows what power the adept has and at what level. It does not differentiate whether he is using it or not.
Canid13
Phew. That's much better.
Bane
QUOTE (Herr Nebel)
The rule for assensing adept powers is on page 21 (MitS).

QUOTE (MitS on page 21)
An aura reader who scores 2 or more successes on an Aura Reading Test studying a adept's aura gains some insight  into what powers the adept has, and at what levels. Each success above 2 reveals one power, or the exact level of one power, the adept possesses.

So this would imply that one success does, in fact, identify whether or not a character is Awakened, and if so, what "kind" of Awakened (adept, shaman, and by process of elimination, hermetic) he is?
mfb
one success explicity does identify whether a character is Awakened. the rule on page 21 of MitS could be read to imply that one success is also enough to identify adept/mage/shaman, yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012