Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Bug Crisis...?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyrae
Still havn't baught the book, but I will when I get the money gathered.

Anyway, i've been reading it at my local gaming store, today I got all the way to Combat.

So far there hasn't been any talk about the whole 'Bug' thing. In the background chapter it mentionsChicago getting attacked by bugs or something and people moving in to take them out. but it doesn't really get into detail on what happend or what the 'bugs' are. Anyone help me out here?

Thanks...

Tyrae ~ Fallen Child of Magdalen
Frag-o Delux
They are spirits that take over people and are considered evil, but tht was years ago. We have a new evil to play with called Shedim.
Reth
The bugs are detailed in " Magic in the shadows ", but yeah the shedim are the new big baddies.
Ancient History
Could you tell me what book you're referring to?

Oh, yeah: Chicago got infested with insect spirits so they nuked the downtown (literally. Payload was less than a kiloton, but it was in the middle of a hive investing about 1,000 new insect spirits), then they quarantined it, as that didn't quite manage to kill all the bugs.
Doc Sportscar
Shedim? Apparently I missed this memo. I still have my runners chasing bugs.

Could someone be so kind as to give me a brief rundown and what titles I should look for to find out what's going on?
DV8
Burning Bright by Tom Dowd [Novel]
Details what happens in Chicago, a good read, from what I've heard.

Bug City [Sourcebook - OOP]
It's a "Target" sourcebook that describes the local of Chicagoland during the spirit infestation, and it's quarantine. Good fiction and plothooks.

Target: UCAS [Sourcebook - Available]
Parts of this book tell of how the spirit infestation was fought down, and the quarantine was lifted. It was glossed over too much, in my opinion, and it deserved a lot more airtime.

Universal Brotherhood [Adventures - OOP]
Talks about the rise and fall of the organisation that allowed the bug spirits to flourish.

Magic in the Shadows [Rulebook - Available]
This has the stats for bug spirits.

There are some more supplements and adventures that have snippets of information about bug spirits, but I think I've got the brunt of it here. I hope it helps.
kevyn668
ditto Doc Sportscar:

whats the deal w/ the shedim? from what you guys have been posting, they apparently come in "lesser", "greater", and "master" types. They possess dead bodies or something? Are they horrors or Horror-like? Is it in the sourcebook YotC with that SURGE thingy??

Etiquette question: did I just Hijack this thread or is this considered "acceptable thread drift/evolution?

(if I did "hijack" it, sorry.)
Ancient History
Shedim are spirits that were released when Ghostwalker broke through Dunkelzahn's Rift (obviously, ye need to read YotC). THey do indeed possess the dead...the fresher the better.

Also, it now appears they come in two varieties: regular Shedim and "Master" Shedim, who are more powerful (seee Threats 2)

Perfect for a good old-fashioned zombie-bash, or some more well-put-together plot.

No connections to the Horrors as of yet.
kevyn668
thank you smile.gif
Darkest Angel
Hey! Bugs are still around, in Threats 2, in the Betrayal chapter, it seems Ares are now using them in critters as guard animals. Our resident evil GM unleashed them on us - very unnerving - my Dwarf Sammie now has quite a fear of guard dogs biggrin.gif
Snow_Fox
Bugs are still around, but they are not the threat they once were. Basically FASA ran it into the ground, for a while Bugs were the big baddies and seemed to be in every official SB until we started to carry cans of raid out of habit.
Abstruse
I guess once you drop a nuclear bomb in the middle of a major metropolitan area to fight an enemy, it's about time to move on to something else. That something else was the Horrors I believe. However, we haven't had a big evil baddy recently in Shadowron. The Shedim are bad of course, but they aren't common enough for everyone to worry about. I think we need a new major threat to worry about...

The Abstruse One
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Could you tell me what book you're referring to?

He's referring to the SR3 core rules book (the BBB), if I'm not mistaken. I believe that he mentioned not owning any books in another thread.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
They are spirits that take over people and are considered evil, but tht was years ago.

Really? Just 'cause they nuked a few major metropolitan hives, doesn't mean there aren't more smaller, more discreet hives out there carrying it on. That's one of the joys of going into some backwater 'burb, is it the Shedim, bugs or just too much interbreeding that's making the people look that weird. wink.gif
Sepherim
Bug's have gone underground, which only makes them more dangerous. An enemy you can't see is an enemy you can't hit. As for Shedim, too obvious for me, only master shedims are really nice. biggrin.gif
Zeel De Mort
Well, just to further hijack the thread, although still on the topic of big baddies...

Which creatures in 2063 are Horrors? There are already some around, right? Like wraiths and so on, in Tehran etc. I don't have Threats 2 or MitS etc if they're covered in those, so what other Horrors are there out there for me to kill these days? smile.gif
D.Generate
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Shedim are spirits that were released when Ghostwalker broke through Dunkelzahn's Rift (obviously, ye need to read YotC). THey do indeed possess the dead...the fresher the better.

Also, it now appears they come in two varieties: regular Shedim and "Master" Shedim, who are more powerful (seee Threats 2)

Perfect for a good old-fashioned zombie-bash, or some more well-put-together plot.

No connections to the Horrors as of yet.

Actually i believe not only dead bodies but the bodies of Mages that are astrally projecting... basically anybody that is missing its "spirit". At least thats how i read all the rules on them. Haven't used them yet as the current group i'm running is starting even before the Shutdown. The last big news anyone in this group knows is that Dunk went dead....so i have all kinds of fun shiot to throw at them. grinbig.gif
Abstruse
Yep, astral projecting mages are actually easier to possess than a dead body for a shedim.

The Horrors aren't really covered in any core rulebook. As far as I can recall, the word "Horrors" to describe them hasn't even ever been used in any Shadowrun book. They're called "the enemy" by H and others, but never "Horrors". That term seems limited solely to Earthdawn. But it's obvious that's what the "enemy" is. Because they're so secretive, rare, and no one's spilling the beans that knows about them (the IEs and the dragons), we don't have any game stats for Horrors in Shadowrun except for wraiths and one of their constructs in Harlequin's Back.

Basically, Horrors are big evil daddy bad-ass spirits, so it's pretty easy to come up with stats for them if you must. But generally, Horrors that made it to our plane are going to be hiding in the shadows. For one thing, they don't want to warn the world about their impending arrival in a millenium or two and give us time to prepare like they did in the forth world. For another, they know that the IEs and dragons (who remember the Scourge) will pounce on the chance to both extract a little revenge for what they went through in the Scourge as well as making sure they don't have a chance to spread.

A Horror on this plane will generally be attempting two things. One, he'll be trying to spread misery, horror, fear, pain, and insanity as much as possible as this is what they feed on. Two, they'll be trying to increase the level of ambient magic to speed up the timetable for the return of their brothers still stuck on the metaplanes.

The Abstruse One
Ancient History
Hoors vary in size and power. Power is approximately equal to their state, in this order: physical only(least), Dual-natured(medium), Astral-only (hard), Dual-natured-that-can-astrally-project (hardest)
Curugul
I've long had a bunch of questions on bug spirits, if you know the answer to any I'd appreciate it smile.gif

First, are flesh form insect spirits protected by Immunity: Normal weapons? Secondly, are flesh forms by far the most common insect spirit you'll encounter in a hive (is it like 30 flesh forms, 3 true insect spirits)? If *not* how exactly did those Ares Firewatch teams operate? Were they ALL magically active? Assuming you use the rule that immunity counts as hardened armor, what's left for mundanes, using an 18D assault cannon? Very curious how Ares Firewatch operated.

Thanks

Curugul
Ancient History
1) No.

2) Flesh forms tend to be more common, becaue a shaman/Queen can control more of them.

3) Ares Firewatch teams combined Heavy Firepower with tactical magician use. So; most of 'em would be big gals and guys with big guns , while the rest would be Adepts and magicians...with Big Guns and Heavy Armor.

#) Here's a creepy thought: an Insect Shaman Channeling an insect spirit...creepy.
Abrojus
Just wondering, can a shedim posses a dead bug?
Frag-o Delux
I also think Bug spirits have a weakness of Pesticides. Which means raid could kill them in enough dosage.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Abstruse)
I guess once you drop a nuclear bomb in the middle of a major metropolitan area to fight an enemy, it's about time to move on to something else. That something else was the Horrors I believe. However, we haven't had a big evil baddy recently in Shadowron. The Shedim are bad of course, but they aren't common enough for everyone to worry about. I think we need a new major threat to worry about...

The Abstruse One

After the Ceremack blast you got the CZ and Project Hope. After that FASA dropped that metaplot and ran the horrors into the ground in the same way. I'm hoping the life designers got the clue and don't give us just one major big bad. Worryingly Dragons are sort of floating around, like there's osmething coming, but as long as it's kept nebulous it should be ok.
Ancient History
Project Hope was BEFORE the bomb dropped and the wall came up. Just so ya know.
kevyn668
Which creatures in 2063 are Horrors? There are already some around, right? Like wraiths and so on, in Tehran etc.

so Sirrung thrashed Tehran b/c it was Horror infested (marked?)? Not b/c of the jihad on metahumanity?
Ancient History
No, the Wraiths showed up when he reduced the local Ayatollah to slag (along with everyone else in the city). Lingering negative emotions and what-not.
kevyn668
gotchya. Thanks again! smile.gif
EVLTIM
Abstruse

A Horror on this plane will generally be attempting two things. One, he'll be trying to spread misery, horror, fear, pain, and insanity as much as possible as this is what they feed on. Two, they'll be trying to increase the level of ambient magic to speed up the timetable for the return of their brothers still stuck on the metaplanes.
Sounds distictly like one of the creatures out of PANA . I can't remeber the name , but they feed by causeing the host to comit homicdal mania.
Tiralee
You'd be refering to a Wraith? (Paranormal Animals of Europe)

Mentions confusion, influence, manifestation, oh and somehting else down the bottom:

"Kill these horrors whenever you can. They are Evil, if anything is. You cannot reason or bargin with these creatures. They exist only to feed. They are the future, if we do not stem this tide now." -H-

Well, I just re-read that and I _think_ that it might be a real good idea to stock up on some majorly heavy ju-ju, considering how much of a bastard our DM is.

Oh - "No Know Weaknesses."

Ok, maybe someone can figure out if they can enchant a Dikoted Katana? I think I'm going to need a dozen or so. And a nuke. It sorta worked in Bug City...
Abstruse
Yeah, wraiths are like mini-Horrors -- not exactly Horrors, but along the same lines as well as being a precursor to actual Horrors themselves, thus explaining why Laughing Man (using the name he posts under when he's being serious) pleaded the case for ending their existance.

The Abstruse One
D.o.d.d.
It says that they can possess pretty much any body as long as there is no spirit in it at the moment. So you probably could have a Shedim/Bug creature and really confuse your players. However, It would lose all powers of the creature.

This is of course what I say, without taking a look in Year of the Comet or Threats 2. I may be wrong.
EVLTIM
Nope I am talking about something else not Wraiths Or Shedim.
They where listed about half way thru PANA not PAOE.
Abstruse
The Wraiths are the only Horror-like creatures I know of (aside from actual Horrors) that are around in the Shadowrun world.

This brings up a nice question I'm going to ask in another topic so as not to hijack this one...

The Abstruse One
EVLTIM
Found it . Page 122. The Nomad.
Granted the knoledge I have of the horros comes from following AH posts like a lost puppy , but it seems to me to be spot on given it's description in the book .
Black Isis
Yes, the Nomad was also a type of horror -- I think the Will-o-wisp might be too (or maybe that is the Nomad and I am getting them confused).
EVLTIM
Do you mean Corpselight from page44?
Black Isis
Hrm....yeah, I think that's it. I'd have to look back at my books to make sure. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012