Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Broken?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aidley
I don't know if it's possible to be more broken than my first character, Xian.

I am not really sure what went on here. The GM gave me the core sourcebook and said 'does anything interest you?' I said 'well, I like cats and .... ooooh you can have shapeshifters?'

He wrote up the above character sheet for me.

What do you think was going on in his mind? Personally I think he was trying to get rid of the 'my boyfriend plays and I don't want to give up our saturdays together' girlfriend.

What amazes me is how very broken the character is. It is utterly unplayable, and should not have been given to a first-time gamer. I'm going to try and fix it - as a first-level character. Wish me luck.

Fygg Nuuton
decently broken. if you want help making a character yourself you can IM me on AIM (fyggnuuton).

because a first time player is a terrible thing to waste
Crusher Bob
IIRC specializations are limited to twice the base skill so atheletics (running) 5(12) is out...

What do you find broken about the character (speaking of only the stats, and not the writeup)?

If looks like you have a reasonable collections of skills and abilities, though you''ll need a lot more gear to really get far in the shadows.

The main problem I see with this character is that it dosen't seem to fit into a particular role on a team. You aren't quite a face, and you aren't quite a combat character, and you aren't magical support, and you aren't quite an infiltrator...

Edward
that has to be the werdst writup i have ever seen and i av seen a justification for taking 3 half race templates in D&D

Edward
hyzmarca
The character appears to be written using first edition rules, unless the 9S3 damage code is a mistake.
Aidley
decently broken. if you want help making a character yourself you can IM me on AIM (fyggnuuton).

because a first time player is a terrible thing to waste

I've been playing for a few years now. thanks to nsrcg I have character making down to a fine art. the trick now is to not get too involved in the character making, since I tend to play with friends who build really stupid characters who do everything in their power to get my hand-crafted girls killed. wink.gif

The character appears to be written using first edition rules, unless the 9S3 damage code is a mistake.

I think you could be right. well, it was created 10 years ago in Australia, so do the math there.

I still think he wanted to discourage me from turning up again. After all, I would have been perfectly happy playing a cat shaman, much more in my depth and a lot more realistically able to get involved in the team..... plus, for some reason, he ran it like a d&d hack & slash quest, and he had a really nasty thing against metas.... which really upset me then and even moreso now, considering i almost have a fetish for playing trolls.... wink.gif
Ol' Scratch
I wouldn't say it's "broken." Sure, there are clear violations of the rules in places, but other than a few too-high skill ratings, it's not that remarkable of a character. I have a few legitimate starting characters that could probably take it down with minimal fuss.

What I would say is that it's just... lame. Especially the whole "born in an evil temple" storyline. Blargh!

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
If looks like you have a reasonable collections of skills and abilities, though you''ll need a lot more gear to really get far in the shadows.

'Shifters only have 5,000 nuyen to work with, at most. No contacts allowed. (How I hate those stupid rules.)
RedmondLarry
I allow Shapeshifters to have contacts in my game. (House Rules)

For example, a frog and a duck make good contacts.

I also allow full Knowledge Skill allotment (House Rules), but half must be for animal things. For example:
Watering Holes 4
Male Fox Hangouts 5
Hunting Rabbits 6
Azryl
I also allow full Knowledge Skill allotment (House Rules), but half must be for animal things. For example:
Watering Holes 4
Male Fox Hangouts 5
Hunting Rabbits 6

Well you can't blanket it like that. You have to narrow to animal type.

Bear Shapeshifter would have:

Picnic Baskets: 5
Ranger Schedule: 4
Leadership: 3
(s) Young short bears: 5
Dashifen
QUOTE (Azryl)
Watering Holes 4
Male Fox Hangouts 5
Hunting Rabbits 6

Well you can't blanket it like that. You have to narrow to animal type.

Bear Shapeshifter would have:

Picnic Baskets: 5
Ranger Schedule: 4
Leadership: 3
(s) Young short bears: 5

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Grimtooth
looks like somebody used central casting for the background write up.

AND they used the one for fantasy characters not future characters.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (OurTeam)
I allow Shapeshifters to have contacts in my game. (House Rules)

For example, a frog and a duck make good contacts.

Watering Holes 4
Male Fox Hangouts 5
Hunting Rabbits 6

That is both righteously awesome and potentially helpful.
Kagetenshi
Bunnyrun: a Bunnies and Burrows/Shadowrun crossover, coming to a FLGS near you.

~J
Kremlin KOA
shouldn't that be bunny hop?
Req
Shadowhop or bunnyrun, your call. smile.gif
Joe Outside
I can tell you part of the problem--he rolled up a character background using the Heroes Now! (© Central Casting) book. I recognized the layout of the background pretty much immediately there. The central casting books are neat tools, but when used uncontrolled, everything comes out sounding like a bad D&D campaign. That also explains the weird skill bonuses, if he used the suggested skill system, by the way...
iPad
That character sheet left me dazed, confused and a little afraid.

Ive help make shapeshifter characters and that one looks fairly impossible without like 40-80 karma. Magic 9????

Starting character - I recon generic runner, light street sam.
Aidley
I've fixed her up - and she's actually playable now, including a much more credible bio. I'll have the new, improved Xian(Feral) cs lined up soon, so you guys can laugh for yourselves.

She's currently in the middle of a stuffa shack stuff-up... it's fun, to say the least. My GM has been threatening to write this one up....

anyway, new sheet will be up within a few days... once i've cobbled together all the sheets into one nice, big jpg...
Aidley
Okay, well, I've got her up a little quicker than I thought I would. That's okay, it happens to the best of us.

I used the points system to create her (thankyou NSRCG) and used the original as a loose base to work from. This time I incorporated things I originally wanted to do with her, such as magic, (which I wasn't allowed the first time, because the party was already 'magic heavy' with two, yes, that's right, two whole magic users of any description in a group of six. That really pisses me off considering that I made Aidley into a nice big magic-using meat shield quite happily.) realistic abilities and skills and a much more believable bio.

Without further ado, let me introduce to you Feral, the shifter formerly known as Xian.
Kagetenshi
Two magic-users out of six isn't too bad, but three in seven would be quite heavy.

Not counting Physads, of course.

~J
Aidley
Two magic-users out of six isn't too bad, but three in seven would be quite heavy.

Not counting Physads, of course.

You think? With the way you can modify characters, I don't think that it's that big of a deal to have a magic-heavy party any more than it is to have a sammy-heavy party. I'd rather build a character to suit my playing needs, than to fit some pre-determined set of rules about party structure. Especially when one of the two said magic users didn't bother with magic at all, and the second didn't do squat except cower behind the rigger screaming if anyone came close. Better to be "over magicked" than to be dead-set useless, I think. wink.gif

Let's just say I have issues with my first SR group and leave it at that, shall we? wink.gif
Fygg Nuuton
QUOTE (Req)
Shadowhop or bunnyrun, your call. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
I am so making rules for that someday.

~J
Fygg Nuuton
"for the love of hippity-hop don't cut the blue wire!!!"
Aidley
Changing title of thread to 'how broken(is the damn thread)' wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012