Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linked Att.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lindt
Yeah, strange concept, but I cant for the life of me figure out what Bull Riding would be linked to. Suggestions?
toturi
Reaction?
Dashifen
Intelligence -- the lower your intelligence the more willing you are to try it? grinbig.gif
Solstice
I would say it's more reaction than strength but str definitly plays a big part.
I've tried it a few times.... eek.gif
littlesean
Wouldn't it follow the same rules as any specialization of Athletics?
Ol' Scratch
I'd place it as a Knowledge Skill. It's a hobby that has little to do with actual running, just like Scrounging, Sculpting, and several other established Knowledge Skills.
RangerJoe
Definitely a specializaiton of athletics (by sport) --> body. (High body means the ability to shout YEE-HAW!!! really loudly)
Kagetenshi
Depends on where you are. For instance, if you do at lot of shadowrunning in Spain during certain festivals, it'd qualify as Active grinbig.gif

~J
Ezra
So now I am wondering....how did the question come up at all?

(My Two cents worth....linked attribute is body.)
Lindt
Yeah, Im really torn between reaction and body.

I have strange PCs... and a honest to ghost cowboy was a concept that just said 'hey, pick me, pick me!'

Dr. Funk, Im going to disagree with you. Its most defintly an active skill, in the same way that sculpting is active. Sculputre is passive (knowlage).
Kagetenshi
Nope, sculpting is knowledge. Sculpture is, too. So is Chemistry, despite all the fun things you can do with it.

On the other hand, everything musical or performance-related (give or take) is Active because of Shadowbeat. If you don't use the rules therein, making them Knowledge would be a good houserule, though.

~J
Ol' Scratch
Oy. To each their own.
Ol' Scratch
No, Shadowbeat is a 1st Edition product in which Knowledge Skills were non-existant. And even then it was a "Special Skill" much like other skills that are now Knowledge Skills. That said, NSRCG is not a valid reference for the rules. MitS, on the other hand, is a valid reference and they're fairly clear that most linked Centering skills -- including Dancing, Singing, and other performance skills -- are Knowledge Skills.
Lindt
Prehaps this is where I heavly disagree with the cannon, or am misintruperting it. The act of picking up a hammer and chisel and banging on a lump of rock is an active skill. Picking up a pistol and shooting fleas off dogs is just as active. Sculpture (being able to say "Yeah, thats ____ by ____ and it was carved out of ____ in 1655" ) is knowlage. Or would that be BG:Sculpture?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
NSRCG is not a valid reference for the rules.

This is unlikely to ever be a problem for me. I don't use NSRCG, it isn't even written for my platform of choice.

However, I did not know that Knowledge skills did not exist in first ed, which would explain my confusion.

~J
Ol' Scratch
Sorry. Just a pet peeve. One of many, apparently.
Lindt
Meh, it happens. So assuming that Bull Riding is an ACTIVE skill. Any other input?
Ol' Scratch
If you insist on making it Active, it's definitely a specialization of Athletics. Though I feel horrible making it one -- I'd clump it in with the Gymnastics specialization.
JaronK
Two possibilities that I see.

1) Bull riding is a sport, thus it's a specialization of athletics. Body is the linked attribute.

2) Bull riding is riding something... just like riding a motorcycle. It's a drive skill on it's own (or perhaps Drive: Animals) and it's linked skill is reaction (so you can default from other driving skills like drive: motorcycle.

JaronK
Ol' Scratch
No, those are Vehicle Skills, as in piloting those vehicles. Sitting in the passenger seat of a car does not require the Car skill.
bit_buckethead
Just for reference, MJLBB shows dancing as a specialization of Athletics and as such is an active skill. (Page 43)

As for bullriding I would say specialization of Athletics also.
RangerJoe
Given that vehicle skills tend to involve manipulation of control devices/panels/electronics (sailboat would be a good example where this is not the case, but it's the exception which proves the rule), I would disqualify Bull from being a vehicle skill (linked to reaction).

If Bicycling can be better considered a specialization of athletics (by sport), then bull-riding should be too (and thus, body-linked)
Req
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
Given that vehicle skills tend to involve manipulation of control devices/panels/electronics (sailboat would be a good example where this is not the case, but it's the exception which proves the rule), I would disqualify Bull from being a vehicle skill (linked to reaction).

Well, I guess that depends on the size of the sailboat, anyway. smile.gif

http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200310101...wmirabella.html
Kagetenshi
Nitpick: in the case of the expression "the exception that proves the rule", "prove" means "tests and finds wanting" or "invalidates". Like "begging the question", it's an expression derived from archaic or oddly translated uses of the language.

~J
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (bit_buckethead)
Just for reference, MJLBB shows dancing as a specialization of Athletics and as such is an active skill. (Page 43)

Oy. Just another example of poor research and understanding of their own rules on part of the current freelancers and design team(s). They seem hell-bent on making as many narrowly-defined Active Skills as possible judging by SOTA:2063 and other recent sourcebooks. It's okay to have a broad skill like Electronics or Athletics, but Lock Picking apparently needs its own specific Active Skill. Feh. While my faith in the direction the game (emphasis on the word "game") has been taking was dwindling but still marginal earlier, it is now all but nil.

Hell, this is evenly a poorly thought-out fubar. Now, Centering can be used with a nearly vital Active Skill that many runners typically take (Athletics) rather than having to take an otherwise useless (mechanically) Knowledge Skill instead. I'm sure adepts in particular are ecstatic about it.
Alareth
Why would anyone want to ride an orc decker?
Eyeless Blond
Well you see, when a mommy orc decker and a daddy orc decker love each other very much...
Lindt
Ouch... my brian... damm you for that mental image...
I dig the specilization of athletics, I think it makes more sence. And it linked to body. Fine by me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012