Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SubMatrix
Ok, I have just recently started this system for the 4th time (though how well familiar I am with the rules would suggest it is my 1st) and we have been comming across quite a few questions. Rather than make a post for each question I figured I would ask a bunch of the short ones here to save time and space.

1. With language skills, at what point is a character considered "fluent"? When characters begin with their language, at what rating is it?

2. On page 122 on step 2 of melee combat it says to roll the defender's base Combat Skill dice. What if the defending character has no melee weapon or has a pistol in hand?

Hmm... I swear we had more questions than this, next time I will write them down as we come up with them to give you guys more to answer. Thanks for any help that anyone can offer and I'm sure I'll be back later with more newbie questions.
Kagetenshi
For question 1, generally 3 to 4 is probably considered fluent. You start with Intelligence*1.5 language skill points, so for someone with Int 3 they can have English 4, or they can have English 1, French 1, German 1, and Dutch 1, so it isn't really possible to say "you start with your language at X rating".

For 2, if you've got no weapon you use unarmed, if you've got a pistol you use either unarmed or Clubs.

~J
SubMatrix
Wow, that was fast. If a character does not have the unarmed skill can they default to their strength? And if not would they just not get to roll?
Kagetenshi
Yes, they default to their strength. If their pre-default-modifier TN is 8 or over, though, they don't get a roll anymore.

~J
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
For question 1, generally 3 to 4 is probably considered fluent. You start with Intelligence*1.5 language skill points, so for someone with Int 3 they can have English 4

No they can't. They'd have to have one more Skill point to do that since they need two points to go from 3 to 4 since their Intelligence is 3. What they could do is English 3 (Read/Write 2).
Kagetenshi
Oops, you're right. Thanks.

~J
iPad
There is a page in the rule book that describes what skill ratings mean, ie. professional, expert etc. A rating of 4 for English would be about average as to someone who doesnt speak english we are experts having had quite a few years of experience...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012