Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Translations?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shev
ok, the films here seem to be fairly well made. However, I don't know what the heck they're saying, and none of my German speaking friends speak Shadowrun wink.gif

Has anyone done/can do translations for these movies?
RangerJoe
These are surreal. The begining of "Illusions" where the gamers are gatheirng to play must be just like non-gamers feel when the stumble in on a group of gamers in action-- they see books, and dice, and such, but can't understand a word of what's going on.

I also like the transtion from the "Shadowrun" book to "Real Life." Then again, that fits with my "Gamer Shaman" ethos.
Krieger
I'm downloading them now. I have 3 years of high school German experience from 2 years ago, so I'll do my best. Later.
Shev
Not to belittle you Krieger, but the people I had try to translate these were college Junior German majors, and they could only pick out a few words. It's very conversational German, and it's hard to hear in some bits because they mutter. Moreover, the terminology they use is highly shadowrunized, and I doubt you learned much of that in high school German nyahnyah.gif You're welcome to try, but I was thinking a native-speaking German SR person would have to give it a go...
Krieger
Quite.

The few words I could hear I couldn't really understand (the muttering), and the only words I managed to pick out that sounded familiar were things such as "Das" and other marginally important words. I didn't figure I could do anything toward the cause; I guess my first post wasn't sarcastic enough in the "I'll do what I can." smile.gif
Shev
Are there any native German speakers here?
Cochise
There are most definitely more than enough native speakers around wink.gif
I however do lack
  • the time provide a full translation
  • motivation to do so, since I actually found them horrible
  • technical ability to create a synchronized or subtitled version, even if the previous two points were an non-issue to me ...
RangerJoe
Besides, just looking at one (Illusions), you can pretty much tell what each of the characters are, and the plot is pretty self-explanatory. This ain't no "Usual Suspects."
Shev
They may not have the most intricate plotlines, but I would like to know the basic reasoning behind the missions on some, and know what the idea is behind the action.

Cochise, I don't pretend to be an expert on movies, but I really don't see how they could be that horrible. What, you were expecting "Matrix"? wink.gif Since it seems they were operating on a college student budget (i.e. a camcorder, $4.55 in loose change, and some 10-odd half eaten pizzas), I think they handled it rather well. In "Illusions" especially, I think they did decent special effects. The adept Great leap was decent and the hand-to-hand was passable with a few "hey, that's kinda cool" moments. The shaman's spell wasn't that flashy, but SR magic is generally described as not appearing to look like much to the mundane eye. The smartlink scene was particular clever, and the flamethrower spell was well done(although you ould actually still see a bit of what they were actually using for flame). My biggest beef was that the adept died in a melodramic "both combantants kill each opther at the same time!!!!" way and the decking bit was a little unshadowrun like to me.

But that's just my opinion smile.gif
Kagetenshi
What format are the videos again? If it's anything Final Cut Pro will open, I'd be willing to add subtitles in my own amateurish fashion. Afraid I can't help with translation, though.

~J
Shev
They seem to be available in both .rar and .wmv
Herald of Verjigorm
rar is a compression type, and the links didn't seem to work when I tried to confirm that they have wmv types inside.
Kagetenshi
Well, I haven't tried it, but if there would be anything FCP wouldn't open, Windows Media would be it.

~J
Cochise
QUOTE (Shev)
Cochise, I don't pretend to be an expert on movies, but I really don't see how they could be that horrible.

I'm not talking about technique or FX .. I'm actually talking about story and how convincing actors are (I wouldn't cast a single one of them for one of those really cheesy soap operas *no I'm not talking about things like Guiding Light or General Hospital. Think lower*) ...

But that's just my opinion smile.gif

And that's just mine wink.gif
dandy
ok, i am native german and live in germany for about 18 years or so. can't download the movies, so i cna't help you with a translation ...
Tanka
QUOTE (Shev)
[...]Since it seems they were operating on a college student budget (i.e. a camcorder, $4.55 in loose change, and some 10-odd half eaten pizzas)[...]

What kind of college students are those? Wasting good pizza, pah!

I watched them a while ago... Not bad, but not incredible either. Though, I must admit the fight scenes were far less than stellar.
Eismann
There is a new movie online called "Body Park".
Toa
And it's not a tad better than the ones before.
Eismann
Yepp, it's well done too.
gfen

Y'know, my coworker tried to make me watch one of these, once.

Its crap like those that make me ashamed to admit to people that I roleplay on the occasional weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012