Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MIT&T and other Thaumaturgial Programs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sorcerer

Magic in its various forms over the past thirty or so years has been accepted within the halls of the ivory tower of academia. I can think of quite a few times when the massachusets inistitute of Technology and Thaumaturgy has been synomyous with the pursuit of magic as a field of higher education. That said, surely there are more!

I am looking for a list of any and all magical study programs, be they corporate, collegiate, private, or national.

Adarael
Mitsuhama's got a very hard-core magical research program, as a feeder for Division 7, or whatever it's called.

Universities with decent magical research departments:
University of Tir Tairngire
Texas A & M, now A, M & T because of the thaumaturgy.
University of California: Berkeley. Also, the games that I run, University of California: Santa Barbara. But that's because I go there.
I imagine University of Washington, being in the Sea-Tac area, SHOULD have a decent one.
NYU's mentioned a couple of times.
audun
What about taking a look in SOTA2064? Grimoire II also details some info on this, at least more than MiTS does.
Sorcerer

Thank you for the list Adarael, I appreciate it. Can anyone else add to this? I will definately place an order for Grimoire II, but in the meantime I am grateful for the info.
FlakJacket
IIRC we've got some well respected ones down at Oxford or Cambridge here in the UK.
RangerJoe
University of Chicago has/had an excellent program in Hermetic thaumatology as I recall. Nothing like elementals by the lake.
the_dunner
The UoC reference is from NAGNA, IIRC. I seem to remember a bit about the "Little Earth" campus out on a small island on Lake Michigan where there was extensive study of free Spirits associated with the Great Lakes.
Backgammon
I remember reading something in SoNA about some sort of university with a free spirit teacher? Uh, memory is really blurry on this one, might be making that up.
Spark
Speaking of free spirit teachers; what about dragons or other such orgs? Ones like the REd lotus perhaps?
Crimsondude 2.0

Oh, wait. Wrong site. I had to lecture someone about this recently.

Aside from the list in SOTA64 which is generally pretty eurocentric, we have as canon degree-granting universities...

fUCLA (First TH.D. program in the world) (CFS)
USC (CFS)
CalTech & every other U in the L.A. metro area (CFS)
People's U of Berkeley/ U of California (CP)
NYU (UCAS)
Columbia (UCAS)
U of Chicago (UCAS)
MIT&M (UCAS)
Harvard (UCAS)
Boston U & every other U in the Boston metro area (UCAS)
Texas A&M&M (CAS)
Georgia Tech (CAS)
U of Washington (UCAS)
Seattle U (moreso than U-Dub) (UCAS)
Georgetown & every other U in the Washington metro area (UCAS)
Oxford (UK)
U of Cheyenne (Sioux)
Lakehead U had the free spirit professor (AMC)

I'd also almost expect Cornell just because of a certain freelancer who's very proud of his alma mater.

One of the members of the DIMR is from Loyola, although that could mean damn near anywhere given the sheer number of schools with the name. I've never really thought too much about it, but I would assume either the one in Maryland, Chicago or New Orleans. Given the circumstances, I'd go with NOLA.

QUOTE (the_dunner)
The UoC reference is from NAGNA, IIRC.  I seem to remember a bit about the "Little Earth" campus out on a small island on Lake Michigan where there was extensive study of free Spirits associated with the Great Lakes.

Elemental Hall. It's an extension of the University out into Lake Michigan, but it's not separated from the mainland. It's more of a pier than an island.

Generally, the thing about MIT&M is that it's near the headquarters of the DIMR, it's currently one of, if not, the most prestigious technical university on Earth and it's reputation would carry across to Thaumaturgical Studies, it's in a major population center of the UCAS with plenty of accompanying magical activity, and because Steve Kenson--FASA/FanPro's resident magic author (until recently, it seems) after Paul Hume (who I liked infinitely more than SK)--is from New England.
RangerJoe
I always imagined Elemental Hall being "The Point" which is a park near the UofC campus that sticks out into the lake. It's a popular spot for free city spirits, I mean, hobos, to hand around.
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, Elemental Hall is half a kilometer out on the lake.
Namer18
A second Navy Pier. Hopefully UofC can get exciting bathrooms into theirs as well.
Demonseed Elite
As a Cornell alumnus, in my game I mentioned that Cornell University has an unusual magic theory department that puts more weight in shamanism than most university programs do. This fit well with Cornell being among some very natural surroundings in upstate NY, and also the fact that it sits in the middle of former Iroquois tribal lands and has an expansive American Indian Program (I spent the first two years of school there living in the Native American program house.
Crimsondude 2.0
Heh. I forgot about that, and that was one of the reasons I almost went there.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (Adarael)
Mitsuhama's got a very hard-core magical research program, as a feeder for Division 7, or whatever it's called.

Universities with decent magical research departments:
University of Tir Tairngire
Texas A & M, now A, M & T because of the thaumaturgy.

I still do not and will not believe that Texas A&M would EVER be the first and foremost in thaumaturgical research in Texas. Need heavy duty block and tackle to suspend the disbelief on that one.

If anything UT wold be the far more likely candidate to have a thaumaturgical research lab and a highly rated one at that.

At best I can see A&M being one of the top paranormal animal researchers, easily. But not sorcery and especially not conjuring.
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah, but UT is in the middle of a DMZ.
Fortune
Besides, what's wrong with Texas S&M? biggrin.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
I prefer chains to rope.

Besides... Texas sucks.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Fortune)
Besides, what's wrong with Texas S&M? biggrin.gif

The Texans? biggrin.gif
Fortune
I dunno about that. I have nothing but good mam ... er memories of my visits to that particular campus. Things may have changed since then, but they sure used to know how to host a party. biggrin.gif
Thistledown
QUOTE (Spark)
Speaking of free spirit teachers; what about dragons or other such orgs? Ones like the REd lotus perhaps?

There's a european great dragon mentioned in DotSW that teaches in dwarf form in Europe. Don't remember his name though.
toturi
Teaches in Prague, mentioned in SoE, the one the only... Schwartzkopf.

Charles University.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012