Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The New Seattle Intelligencer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Synner
As the old timers among you may recall, way back in the red and dun prehistory of Dumpshock I started a little community project called the "Seattle Intelligencer". This was an IC character newsfax that was compiled from the posts of anyone wishing to contribute. A thread was opened on the Runs and Run Ideas forum and every month I would compile the "newsitems" and format the whole thing into a pdf which could then be downloaded and even customized for use in anyone's campaign.

News items were only limited by the constraints of canon, so as to be universally usable (so no killing Lofwyr off in a news piece), and writer's imaginations. They were written as fictional newsitems in the Seattle Intelligencer newsfax (made famous in the backpages of several 1st Edition adventures). With 7-8 people contributing regularly the Seattle Intelligencer ran for about a year (with the odd hiccup) but eventually stalled when the regulars moved on or just left Dumpshock. Unable to do a full issue myself due to other commitments I let the project stagnate. If anyone's interested the old issues are still available (mail me).

However, recently there's been a lot of interest around the project and I've been getting several mails asking about the status. Consequently I am considering reviving it as an "unofficial" counterpart to the forthcoming official FanPro Screamsheet.

Right now I just want to know if there's enough interest and if people are willing to collaborate on this. Post your names if you are interested and if I see enough people I'll start off the regular thread on the Runs and Run Ideas forum.
Kidst3alth
Synner, I would love to see this up and running again. Id like to be able to say that I am willing to contribute regularly, but I am finding it hard enough right now to "contribute" time to running my own game. register my vote as one to "would like to help and will if time allows".

Cheers,

KS
JACK THE CHIPPER
I'd love to see that. Could you send me available copies to 2jack@web.de?
I'd also be interested in contributing if the project is revived.
Talia Invierno
Ditto Kidst3alth, almost exactly.
Synner
Note that contributions can be as little as 250-word articles, once every couple of weeks, it isn't necessary that every post be a huge piece of in depth investigative reporting. Most articles were between 200 to 300 words in the SI's previous incarnation.
CloneAdam
FanPro's upcoming screamsheet will also be taking similar public submissions, as Synner mentioned, although likely leaning towards being less than 250 words.

More details announced when the first issue goes up.
Synner
Please note any eventual Seattle Intelligencer should be seen as a complement to the Screamsheet rather than any true competition.

I would much prefer it if it were possible to publish everything that's worth publishing in the Screamsheet, and I suppose most of you would much prefer to contribute in this fashion to the SR Universe. However given that the Screamsheet will necessarily have size limitations, the SI would work as an alternative forum to post your articles if they don't make the cut.

JongWK
Count me in. I loved ye olde SI.

Where can I find the old ones? I think I once saw one a looooong time ago, but it could be a different thing.
The Question Man
that sounds grat , could you set up a kind of format so we can make it look good too . biggrin.gif
Velocity
Ditto Talia! smile.gif
Adam
You can grab the old issues at http://matrix.dumpshock.com/seattleintelligencer/
Shadowrunner13
Love to see the SI back again. I can't guarantee that I'd be a regular contributor, but I might contribute from time to time, when I can come up with something semi-interesting.

SR13
Kurukami
I'm interested, and I'd certainly like to try contributing to it. I'll have to take a look at those older issues, though, to get a good sense of what kind of details you're looking for... smile.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Adam)
You can grab the old issues at http://matrix.dumpshock.com/seattleintelligencer/

Thanks Adam. I really should get a site up...
Fortune
Is that all of the past issues in the link above? If so, then please feel free to ignore my email Synner. smile.gif
Synner
There was at least one more that wasn't "published" before Adam revamped the TSS page and I never got round to sending him, and another that's only partially completed. I'll take this opportunity to say I'm sorry for the editing job in some of the early issues. Let's just say I compiled rather than edited them.
Fortune
Well then, I'd be interested in those 'unpublished' issues as well, so don't ignore my email after all. smile.gif
Sepherim
Contributed once, and I'll try to do it once more now. But I'm into several projects at the moment (you're into most of them, so what am I gonna tell you) and studying, so I don't think I'll be able to send anything this month. Plus, I already told Adam I'd help him with the screamsheet, so I'll have to send a couple news articles to him before, but I'll do the best I can to help on both if possible.
Boondocker
I know I mentioned contributing before, Synner, but over 250 words is too much. I was hoping for blurbs and article lead-ins as appear in the magazines, not full articles. smile.gif

Still be interested in reading it, though.
Synner
Boondocker - Just to make it clear 250 words is about the average size of the posts you saw on the old DSForums thread. To give you a general idea a typical blurb on the back of an SR novel is about 125-150 words long. A short news article just covering the who, when, where, what, how and why of any given situation often clocks in between 150 and 200 words and is perfectly acceptable.

I suggested the 250-300 count mainly for those people who'll want to contribute less but do something more indepth instead.
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Synner)
Right now I just want to know if there's enough interest and if people are willing to collaborate on this. Post your names if you are interested and if I see enough people I'll start off the regular thread on the Runs and Run Ideas forum.

I'm not sure how much I can contribute, but I'm definitely interested.
Boondocker
Ah. I see. So there's an option for less... well, I won't promise anything, as school's starting again. Bad time to be making commitments. wink.gif
Kagemusha
It's been awhile since I've been to this board, BRING IT BACK!!!! It was very entertaining as well as informative.
grendel
I'd be willing to contribute to both the ScreamSheets and the SI, Synner. How soon would you like the articles?
Synner
Okay, the interest here and over mail has sold me on making yet another attempt at the SI. Please find the relevant SI threads here (IC posting) and here (OOC posting).

Please read the OOC thread first for some general guidelines and to clear up any doubts. After that feel free to post on the IC thread.
Synner
* bump *
Paul
Always love more!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012