Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Felix The Synthcat Lives Again
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lilt
The reason that runners can't take it as what it's supposed to be is that it's far more useful than that in the first place:

Remote Control Interface?
Rigger Adaptation?

Since when were they common features of a household pet? silly.gif
The Synthcat is a useful spying tool even before you add a Panther Assault Cannon, Barret 121, or whatever is necessary to turn it into an assassination tool. biggrin.gif

The advantage of a robotic cat is that it can be effectively invisible if you use it well. Even better; people allow cats to go places, like into houses, where most drones would be way too conspicuous.

For the above reasons; if you give it a weapons system (I was thinking a drug injector, something small & silent) then it becomes a highly effective assassination tool.
Strobe
Why not add a grappeling gun and line so it can scale tall building with a single, erm, well, not bound, but y'know, it could scale tall buildings.

The posibilities are endless. Well, almost.

-Strobe
Lilt
QUOTE (Strobe)
Why not add a grappeling gun and line so it can scale tall building with a single, erm, well, not bound, but y'know, it could scale tall buildings.

lol. It's too small to mount anything the size of a firearm. Can it be hooked into a battletac system? That would make it a useful, inconspicuous, extra sensor for those small unit tactics checks...
Cochise
The reason that runners can't take it as what it's supposed to be is that it's far more useful than that in the first place: 

Remote Control Interface? 
Rigger Adaptation? 

Since when were they common features of a household pet? silly.gif

You have noted however that neither of these things actually is in said toy?
I said it on the old board and I'm willing to repeat:
The designer left them out on purpose and all you could add as postproduction modification would be the Remote Control Interface. For Rigger Adaption there simply is not enough room.

The Synthcat is a useful spying tool even before you add a Panther Assault Cannon, Barret 121, or whatever is necessary to turn it into an assassination tool. biggrin.gif

And that's where it gets difficult: Even with Remote Control Interface you'll only have access via captain's chair. And this darn thing is still programmed to behave like an ordinary cat.

The advantage of a robotic cat is that it can be effectively invisible if you use it well. Even better; people allow cats to go places, like into houses, where most drones would be way too conspicuous.

Assuming that installed scanners do not recognize the drone as such ...

For the above reasons; if you give it a weapons system (I was thinking a drug injector, something small & silent) then it becomes a highly effective assassination tool.

Again you'll fail with the "no room left" problem There simply ain't enough room in that thing to install anything that can be used as a weapon.
Lilt
P123, Sprawl Survival Guide, both Rigger Adaptation and a Remote Control Interface are listed under the 'Other Features' section.

The fact that it acts like a normal cat is an advantage, it makes it less possible to do un-cat-like things. It may take a bit of overriding the anti-robocat-turning-blender controls but even from a captain's chair view he can still give commands to the drones. These commands could presumably include forwards, through the cat flap, bite the hand holding you ETC.

Scanners are only likely to be installed in rich neighbourhoods where these cats may be commonplace. A competent decker could probably find the transponder codes they use for the neighbourhood cats so you could sneak past no-problemo.

Also: weapons need not take-up CF. What CF would you rule it took to sharpen the cat's teeth and coat them with some nasty poison?
Cochise
QUOTE (Lilt)
P123, Sprawl Survival Guide, both Rigger Adaptation and a Remote Control Interface are listed under the 'Other Features' section.

*lol* Didn't see that ... Eismann is going to be really "happy" about this change, since the original desgin did not include these features
Eismann
They copied it wrong??
Hm... maybe it's not so bad that they forgot to mention my name in SSG...
Lilt
QUOTE (Cochise)
*lol* Didn't see that ... Eismann is going to be really "happy" about this change, since the original desgin did not include these features

Ah. I see. I think the other thing that says "Look at me! I'm a weapon!" to runners is the manufacturer: Ares are better known for their assault rifles, sliverguns, and predators than their big fluffy housecats.
Greyfoxx
As to the cat, why do you have to complicate things, adding expensive equipment in it?

id simply make it a kitten and put a bomb in it.

meow meow puuurrrrrrrrrrrrrr BOOOOOMM!!!!
Greyfoxx
or more subtly, make it a nerve gas farting kitty.
Cochise
QUOTE (Lilt)
Ah. I see. I think the other thing that says "Look at me! I'm a weapon!" to runners is the manufacturer: Ares are better known for their assault rifles, sliverguns, and predators than their big fluffy housecats.

Yet another difference between the original design and what now turned up in SSG

The original version came from IMFU (also mentioned in SSG) and similar designs could only be obtained from Renraku.
The Ares connection is also new ...

@ Eismann:

I'm feeling with you man biggrin.gif
Eismann
QUOTE (Lilt)

@ Eismann:
I'm feeling with you man biggrin.gif

It's not the first time they forgot it... the tanks in SOTA, the floorplans in SotF and many vehicles in Games Unplugged #29... some things never change.
The Synthcat
Seeing that a freaking cat isn't supposed to be remote-controllable, and that it just isn't intended for a rigger to use, the synthcat will definately lose them in my campaign.

Of course, nothing stops Ares from making two models: the inoffensive-but-expensive-as-hell toy, and the limited-production, not-for-sale lethal-but-discreet drone. vegm.gif
Camouflage
Some people simply don't get it, that this cat was only introduced as flavour stuff. Let me guess, you still wonder why the BBB lists prices and availability for things like CD-players or HiFi-equipment but no clues who to use it in combat, don't you? ohplease.gif
Solidcobra
we do get it.... we just want to have some fun with them.....
i can imagine hiding a load of c4 in a drum, set to explode when someone hits it from above..... (to assassinate a band or something)

*imagines above situation*

silly.gif *seconds later* eek.gif *a tenth of a second later* dead.gif
or, to sum it up: vegm.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012