Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving and TNs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SubMatrix
When a character moves they suffer penalties to their target number(s) (+1 for walking and +4 for running I believe). These penalties also apply in some cases to opponents attacking them (+2 TN to hit a running target). My question is, for what time frame do these penalties apply? Is it for that initiative pass only, or from the point that that character acts until the beginning of their next initiative pass (assuming they have another one)?
The White Dwarf
Sequence goes, roll initiative. Once a character's action comes up, and they move at all, theyre considered moving until the next initiative roll (ie, next combat turn) even if they dont move on subsequent actions. Basically, every set of rolled initiative, a character is again stationary until he moves at all, and then hes moving until next initiative set.
SubMatrix
So if in a combat turn I have 4 actions, I could spend my first 3 actions shooting a weapon and taking no movement penalities, and then my last action, move 2 meters walking (assuming I have an 8 quickness), and take another shot with a +1 TN.

Whereas if I walked forward 2 meters on my first action and shot, and then walked no more but shot every action, I would still have a +1 TN to all my attacks?
Zeel De Mort
Yep, which is a bit daft eh?

In real life, even for a fairly regular person, three seconds is long enough to move, stop, and take an aimed shot. I think carrying the modifiers over the whole turn is too much, and especially so when you're getting four or five phases per turn!

Some GMs might ask you to let them know if you'll be moving at all during the turn, but how are you supposed to know at the start?

The way we do it is just to break it down per phase. So you count as moving if you move that phase, and your enemies count you as moving until your next phase. It's not ideal either, and does allow you to sprint for about 0.7 seconds and then stop and fire for another 0.7 with no modifiers, but I still prefer it to applying them to the entire combat turn.
GrinderTheTroll
We handle the movement penalties from Combat Phase to Combat Phase.
The White Dwarf
Yea, except if youre NOT moving, youre counted as Stationary. Check the TN mod for being a stationary target and get back to me about your leet avoiding the +1 modifier plan. Basically youre walking unless youre running, and unless you really need to haul you try not to run.
RedmondLarry
In our game, we only count the Stationary TN modifier if a character is unconscious or unaware of the battle. We apply no penalty for target not moving or for target walking. That's just our choice.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (The White Dwarf)
Yea, except if youre NOT moving, youre counted as Stationary.  Check the TN mod for being a stationary target and get back to me about your leet avoiding the +1 modifier plan.  Basically youre walking unless youre running, and unless you really need to haul you try not to run.

I'll assume this comment is for me.

In essence, we handle movement modifiers based on what was done this Phase or the prior one to address the scenario of "shoot-walk, run, shoot-walk" that would bypass the penalties from Phase-to-Phase.

This condenses down to: whatever movement you did before you are taking your action is what you use for the penalty.

So "shoot-walk, run, shoot-walk" assuming it's the start of combat would be:

Shoot (no penalty)-walk, run, Shoot (+4 for running)-walk.

In this case the next initiative for this chummer he's be at the walking penalty if he decided to shoot first.
mfb
sigh. not the 'stationary target' argument again.
GrinderTheTroll
Not an argument, just how we choose to do it.
The White Dwarf
It wasnt for you grinder, was for the threads author. Posts asking simple stuff explained in the BBB get on my nerves. Also threads where people look for borderline cheese get on my nerves. Maybe if I didnt play sams so often I wouldnt have so many, darn wired reflexes.
GrinderTheTroll
LOL, fair enough. I guess I am just too paranoid. eek.gif
Critias
QUOTE (The White Dwarf)
Yea, except if youre NOT moving, youre counted as Stationary. Check the TN mod for being a stationary target and get back to me about your leet avoiding the +1 modifier plan. Basically youre walking unless youre running, and unless you really need to haul you try not to run.

Really? Huh.

Hey, where's that in the BBB? The part where it says if you aren't moving, you're completely and totally stationary. That part. Where's it say "if you aren't taking a movement penalty and moving at a rate based at least partially upon your Quickness score, you are holding absolute stock still, and are presenting an easier target of yourself, to the tune of a -1 to TNs to shoot you."

I'm curious. Where's that part? What page?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012