Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SoA2064] SotA64's Top 10
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
So what do you think of them? Good? Bad? Hints at upcoming plots?

It might be interesting to hear some opinions.
mfb
i like the format, because it allows the introduction of a lot of material in a very short space. specific ones i liked:

killimanjaro. i'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about this. the corps put together their own GGD-level magical assault--that's news. where'd they get all the mages from? if the mages were all from different traditions, how'd they combine them? if not, where'd they find a bunch of mages from the same tradition? is this group of mages,
same tradition or not, still together? if so, who's got control of them?
if not, where'd they all go?

KAM. i've been wondering where she ended up. combining her with a Roxy update was cool.

chico-oroville. it's an army of runners. plus, Ritter.

flatline killer. almost as many questions here as at killimanjaro.
Adarael
Just as a note, does anyone from California else find the idea of an army of runners in Chico-Oroville absolutely hilarious?

I'm still pleased as punch that Captain Monday and that other T-Bird pirate had a running air battle for control of my home, directly over the office I'm typing this from.
mfb
most of the people from california i know think that chico-oroville is hilarious in and of itself. so, yeah.
Ecclesiastes
Yeah, seriously, you have my vote on that one.
Ancient History
I like the carnivorous cows in India. nyahnyah.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Ancient History)

I don't. *terrified*
RangerJoe
In India, hamburgers eat you
Siege
Cows With Guns

He was a scrawny calf, who looked rather woozy
No one suspected he was packing an Uzi
Cows with guns

-Siege
Jerry Rigg
QUOTE (Ancient History)

I'm just glad they don't weild halberds. Moo!
Synner
QUOTE (Ancient History)

You would. I just looked at the credits. wink.gif
Toa
Who doesn't love Genhis? nyahnyah.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 28 2004, 08:20 PM)

Point. By-the-by, I liked the Sports write-up too JW.
Deadeye
Damn. Toa beat me to the punch. I actually hopped on Dumpshock again after a long time away (back on the old board) just to point out pg. 32 of the Creatures of Barsaive book. I couldn't help it--I threw these nasty little buggers at my gaming group one time as part of an "experemental para-animals project" story-arc and totally messed with their heads, especially after I threw in some Preces (think the rabbit from Monty Python, in case you're unfamiliar eek.gif ) and from then on anytime they saw anything resembling a dumb/warm and fuzzy animal, they wanted to open up with the SMG's. Ahh, the good old days, back before real life took all my joy away...
JongWK
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 28 2004, 11:21 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 28 2004, 08:20 PM)

Point. By-the-by, I liked the Sports write-up too JW.

Aw, thanks. embarrassed.gif Yer cow was kewl, too.

I loved how the whole section turned out. There's so much goodness and opportunities in it that you can run a whole campaign with the Top 10s alone.

I'm wondering what do people think of a certain Amazonian character (and no, I'm not talking about Maravilha), or the hints at Latin America's situation.

JW

PS: Dammit, my glorious Red Sox idea... trashed because the RL team finally won! nyahnyah.gif

Blue eyes
I enjoyed the whole top 10 chapter, it's filled with great updates on current situations in the Sixth World, even in regards to issues in Shadows of Europe, like the ogre who would be king in Spain & the civil war in Poland - nice to see SK for once not siding with the "bad guys" even if it's purely for financial reasons... Great chapter with many great hooks, I hope it becomes a reoccurring thing in future SOTAs...

JongWK; which amazonian character are you talking about, ????
JongWK
I'll quote from the book:

9. Great Anaconda Corpse Missing

(snip)

> It’s been rumored that Hualpa’s right hand is a great anaconda called M’Boi. Like others of his kind, M’Boi is very secretive and only shows himself when absolutely necessary. The dead ’conda was probably retrieved to protect the species’ secrecy. If and when you come to South America, remember the name M’Boi. Hualpa might be the top dragon, but every person or thing with power manipulates its own personal pawns.
> Artemis

Blue eyes
Ups yeah missed that one....

Yeah sound very very interesting, with these giant intelligent snake species with there own leader, are they naturally awakened or do they posses "critter powers"? Great to see that it's not only feathered dragons that have the ear of Hualpa.

Cool to see another species more or less in the same category as the naga. I assume that there is quite are great number of nagas in Amazonia as well, who also have the ear of Huapla ?

I look forward to seing Huapla's courts of awakened characters described/explained in Shadow of Latin America.
Crimsondude 2.0
It was fine, except that I think 4 of the top ten most wanted being European--while not surprising--was a bit much.
Jon Szeto
QUOTE (JongWK)
PS: Dammit, my glorious Red Sox idea... trashed because the RL team finally won! nyahnyah.gif

When I was writing for Shadows of North America, I inserted a blurb about the Patriots winning the Super Bowl on the last play of the game. I should note that I wrote this during the 2000 season, when the Pats went 5-11 and Brady was still on the sidelines. If it weren't for a little delay like FASA closing, it would have come out before the NFL 2001 season, instead of after.

(Note to self: Insert something about the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup in the next assignment I get.)

Did I mention how bribeable we freelancers are? biggrin.gif
JongWK
Maybe I should try that with Uruguay and soccer... yes, that could be it! silly.gif

Jon: Where can I get that much famed freelancer crack? nyahnyah.gif
Artemus
Maybe I should try that with Uruguay and soccer... yes, that could be it!

Keep dreaming. wink.gif
Sepherim
Obviously, the Spanish entry. I hadn't thought that would be the way to resolve the situation, but I find it quite inspiring. smile.gif
tisoz
What's so scary about these cows in India eating other cows?

Or did you mean maneating instead of cannabal?
Crimsondude 2.0
They're maneaters.
Ancient History
Actually, they're just not finicky eaters.
Jon Szeto
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
They're maneaters.

Oh-h, here they come
Watch out boy, they'll chew you up.

biggrin.gif grinbig.gif biggrin.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
Wow. I actually laughed at that.
DrJest
AH did say carnivorous, not cannibal smile.gif

And Cows With Guns, I love that song. I have it on mp3, it was mislabelled as a Tom Lehrer number, but I kept it because it made me laugh myself silly smile.gif
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Are they the Genhis, or something different?
Paul
Considers bribing Jon Szeto for all sorts of things....

Where'd I put my wallet?

Say Jon how much does it take..... smile.gif
Jon Szeto
QUOTE (Paul)

Hang on a sec, let me get my tongue firmly set in cheek.... grinbig.gif

Patriots, Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics championship: FREE

Getting your name in shadowtalk: a drink.

Getting your name in shadowtalk that doesn't actually make you look like a dork: picking up the tab for GenCon.

University of Kentucky/University of Louisville NCAA championship: best offer, minimum bid $500

World Cup Championship:
- UCAS/CAS: $100
- Italy: $200
- China (any state): $300
- Any other nation: $500 (subject to odds)
- Germany: $1,000
- Argentina: $2,000
- Amazonia: $5,000

Olympic hockey championship:
- UCAS/CAS: FREE
- Other North American nation: $200
- European nation (except Germany & Russia): $250
- Germany: $500
- Russia: $1,000
- Canada: $10,000 (plus a pint of Adam's blood)

NHL Stanley Cup:*
- Bruins: FREE
- Other Northeastern Division team (except Montreal): $100 ($100,000 if the Bruins are still in contention)
- Other Eastern Conference team (except Montreal): $200 ($50,000 if the Bruins are still in contention)
- Western Conference team: $500 (unless they're playing the Bruins)
- Montreal: more than you can afford.

*NOTE: Any Canadian team is charged at twice the US/Canadian exchange rate. If this is a team Adam is rooting for, a pint of his blood is also required.

Jets, Dolphins, or Bills Super Bowl champs: $100,000

Any other NFL Super Bowl championship: $50,000 (adjusted for odds)

Browns, Cubs, Blackhawks, or Clippers championship: $666,000,000,000, one arm, one leg, a pint of blood, and your firstborn. Soul insurance is optional, but highly recommended.

Loss by the Yankees, Canadiens, or Harvard Crimson: FREE

A really humiliating loss by the Yankees, Canadiens, or Crimson: based on how evil and humiliating it is. devil.gif

CountZero
QUOTE (Jon Szeto)
QUOTE (Paul)

A really humiliating loss by the Yankees, Canadiens, or Crimson: based on how evil and humiliating it is. devil.gif

How about a 4 streight shut-outs in the World Series, against the Cubs... oh, wait, this is Shadowrun, the Cubs probably got forced to re-locate because of Bug City... smeg.
Crimsondude 2.0
Indeed. The KE FireWatch team that was most responsible for the whole fiasco took over Wrigley Dome (which, given past examples, had probably just been installed by that April).
Fortune
I think I recall something in canon about the Cubs being reinstated in '62(?).
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Jon Szeto)
Getting your name in shadowtalk that doesn't actually make you look like a dork: picking up the tab for GenCon.

So basically just beggar yourself? I've seen how much gets drunk at one of these things - and witnessed some very suspect dancing. *Looks at Jon and Mark* biggrin.gif

Olympic hockey championship:
- Canada:
$10,000 (plus a pint of Adam's blood)

Pint of blood you say? Can Adam spare that much? He hasn't exactly got that much mass to begin with. wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 10 2004, 08:00 PM)
I think I recall something in canon about the Cubs being reinstated in '62(?).

Probably in SOTA63, which is one of the few books I don't have.

Oh, but man would I love to add a Trojans reference to canon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012