Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Austraila? Down under the weather?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GaiasWrath8
OK, so I got this game going and the team ends up down under.The GM is telling us how hot it is bla bla bla. Then one of the players pipes in "I thought it was the middle of summer back home" the GM said yes, thats why its so hot. Then he said "But down under the season are backwards. Out winter is there summer. So right now, it should be damn cold!

Is there truth to this?
Herald of Verjigorm
I thought relative seasons were taught in elementary school. (note, some terms may not be optimal)

Seasons are defined by the relative angle of the earth in regards to the sun. The tilt of the poles provides this angle. While the northern hemisphere is most angled for direct sunlight, the southern hemisphere is most angled for atmospheric interference.

So when it's summer in the northern temperate regions, it's winter in the southern temperate regions.

There's also a little detail in regards to the perigee and apogee of the earth's orbit, that might make southern seasons a little more severe than the equivalent northern season, but a whole lot of more local variable will have a stronger influence.
RangerJoe
Yep. Contrary to whatever you've read in in-flight magazines (the magazine aboard a flight I took from KL to Australia warned that by heading South, we were heading closer to the sun, and thus, needed to be sure to pack sunblock) the angular relationship between the sun and the poles is the chief driver of seasonal temperature variations (in other words, obliquity is the main driver, with other orbital parameters having some weight, such as eccentricicty, etc.) Right now Antarctica is heading into summer, as we head into winter here in the northlands.

PS-- New Year's in Sydney is amazing--think giant outdoor festival with fireworks. Sure beats huddling around a stove in the northern hemisphere.
GaiasWrath8
Well, thanks for the great news. I thought the player was crazy.

Wonder if the people down under ever wish for a white x-mas.
Large Mike

A buddy I once had was a Kiwi, and every time any of his family came to visit at the right time of year, they all went crazy-go-nuts over the snow. "Seriously? Is that snow? Right in front of me like that?" "Yes." "I wanna touch it. I wanna bring some home." "You don't wanna touch it, it's cold. And you're forgetting that it will melt and you'll look like an idiot with a tupperware container full of water."
GaiasWrath8
Damn, thats bad. LOL

I was born in CT, USA. I am done with snow and cold. wink.gif

Feonyx
QUOTE (Large Mike)
A buddy I once had was a Kiwi, and every time any of his family came to visit at the right time of year, they all went crazy-go-nuts over the snow. "Seriously? Is that snow? Right in front of me like that?" "Yes." "I wanna touch it. I wanna bring some home." "You don't wanna touch it, it's cold. And you're forgetting that it will melt and you'll look like an idiot with a tupperware container full of water."

The guy was either an idiot or had not done much traveling around his own country. Mt. Cook has snow on it all year round and in the South of the South Island near Invercagil it gets as cold and as snowy as Scotland which is why so many down there are from Scotland.

He must not get out much... smile.gif

One Year I went skiing on Mount Cook and then hours later I was surfing in warm sea water... Every year poor bastage Mall Santas pass out from heat exhaustion since they still do the beard and the red coat thing in 90 degree weather.

Feonyx
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8 @ Oct 28 2004, 02:45 PM)
Well, thanks for the great news. I thought the player was crazy.

Depends. Do you ever wish for a christmas barbeque on the beach with a nice swim afterwards?

Oh, and Connecticut? You’re practically Southern, lad.

~J
Whizbang
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
Damn, thats bad. LOL

I was born in CT, USA. I am done with snow and cold. wink.gif

I know the feeling...I'm originally from New York, up by the Canadian border. I've seen enough snow...I don't see why my sisters are so excited about it when we go up north to visit family, or why everything in Alabama will close down at even a chance of snow.
GaiasWrath8
LOL, ya the snow was nice..for a year or two. Then I got over it. Now I live is CA. smile.gif I hate Los Angeles, but at least it does not snow.
Ecclesiastes
Then move down to the OC, cause yeah, living in LA blows.
The_Dood
I live in Australia, which has been in a drought for as long as I remember (read: years), so hot pretty much sums it up regardless of the season.
GaiasWrath8
I was going to move to the OC but the jobs for insurance adjsuters are better up here. smile.gif
Kremlin KOA
BW8 you want life down under? welcome come to Perth, we could always use a few more SR players here (can never have too many)
Tal
So...yeah. Long story short, our water runs the opposite direction, our seasons are for the most part opposite, and Victoria's weather is screwy.
Da9iel
YOUR WATER RUNS UPHILL!!! COOL!!! grinbig.gif

ps I think more upsidedown smileys grinbig.gif would be appropriate. grinbig.gif
grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
Tal
Yes. Yes it does. We have mastered the art of ignoring gravity. We just get the water really, really drunk.
Da9iel
Nice! rotfl.gif
Uberjoel
The weather in Victoria is screwy 'cause we got it all fucked up on cheap speed. Gotta throw the shit somewhere.
Tal
Yeah, but it's really nasty watching it hung-over the morning after.
DocMortand
Oh, you mean when the sky is green? I thought that meant it was tornado weather? wobble.gif
Kremlin KOA
ah yes water that runs inland, I still think an angel got drunk on the job when designing my homeland
Crusher Bob
The 'water spirals the other way' thins is a myth.

Due to winds (and other stuff) caused by the rotatin of the Earth, storms and other similar large systems do rotate in opposite directions, however in the smaller scale, these forces are insignificant compared to other considerations (like imperfections in your toilet bowl). So in short, small water systems: toilets, etc rotate whichever way, while large water systems (typhoons, hurricanes, etc) do rotate the opposite direction.
Kagetenshi
No, the water-rotating thing is not a myth. Water, if left standing and undisturbed for about a day or more, will rotate a given direction overwhelmingly.

~J
Crusher Bob
And, the direction of that rotation, if the water is placed in a mathematically perfect container and the container is perfectly insulated from 'local' influences (distant noise, tectonic activity, etc, this direction will be derived from the Coriolis effect...

Since such environements do not exist in the real world, the rotation of water being 'reversed' in opposite hemispheres is a myth. The rotation of water is effectd by 'local' influences much more that Coriolis forces. Only in large systems are Coriolis forces noticable (see: rotational pattern of storms).

RangerJoe
But this has never stopped the Australian toilet & bathtub industry from designing commodes and tubs which funnel water in a direction specified to confound northern visitors and amuse locals.
Crusher Bob
Yep, I've always found toilets that spit water at other people to be amusing...

Or better yet, that dis-embodied voices that promise death and ruin (what are the odds of that?)
GaiasWrath8
Damn, after Crusher Bobs little teachers lechure I am unsure if the water does go the other way or not.... Can you just keep it simple for us little people?

Feonyx
http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.htm
bit_buckethead
OK. So after reading the article Feonyx sited, I want to know what is the modifier for shooting north and south in SR. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
+1 every full 3 seconds your projectile will be in flight.
Austere Emancipator
+1 per full kilometer for subsonic missiles and rockets?
Kagetenshi
Missiles shouldn't get a penalty unless they're seriously not doing their job.

~J
RangerJoe
I think it's all accounted for in the skill being used. No one is going to be using shipboard gun systems (which are about the scale at which the coriolis "force" becomes a big deal... oooh there's funny stories about that....) without a knowledge of the effect on their shells. On a lighter note, Troy Aikman (sp?) once said that he accounted for the rotation of the Earth when he threw long passes on the football field (hence, covered by the throwing/non-aerodynamic skill). Um, yeah... right. Good call, Troy.
Kagetenshi
Hey, it's perfectly reasonable to do that. Just throw the ball a few what, micrometers to one side? smile.gif

~J
Edward
As an Australian I will state that winter dose not always mean cold.

In the northern parts you have a tropical climate.

In the centre you have a typical desert. It’s hot during the day and cold during the night. In summer the days are longer in winter the nights are longer but it will still be hot in the day and clot at night.

I would like to see proper snow throw some snowballs an run around. I think it would be a enjoyable experience for a few hours if properly clothed but after spending hours standing in rain and hail I know how un-fun cold can be. And there is something very fine about water skiing on boxing day

When I was in New Zealand on a scout ture we saw a glacier and one of the scouts filled a bottle with glacier ice intending to take it home, the general opinion was it tasted good If a bit flowery.

Edward
Fortune
QUOTE (Edward)
I would like to see proper snow throw some snowballs an run around. I think it would be a enjoyable experience for a few hours if properly clothed but after spending hours standing in rain and hail I know how un-fun cold can be.

Go to Thredbo, or one of the other ski resorts in the Snowy Mountains (really just glorified hills) during the Oz winter. There's enough snow, with the added bonus that you can leave it behind at a moment's notice. smile.gif
Lycanthropic Dreaming
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)

A couple of summers ago (I'm Brisbane based), it was one of those nasty 40 degree celcius days with high 90 percent humidity. Hot enough to fry an egg in the shade. Too damn hot to even sit inside the well ventilated house.

The entire extended family grabbed blankets and sat outside in the eastern shade cast by the house. We sat, and sweated. It was too damn hot to do anyything else. The kind of day where certain non-Aussie trees have started wilting by midday, and need a spray of water if you want them to see next summer.

A white X-mas? Not necessarilly. Just one that isn't so damn blearghh!!.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012