Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RPG Costs in Oz
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Azrael
Those of us in Oz seem to get the raw deal when it comes to the cost of Shadowrun products. I decided to go out today and price up expanding from the core set of books to things like MJLBB etc and these are the Oz prices - can someone tell we roughly what they go for in the states?

Year of the comet : $57
Threats 2: $41.25
Sprawl survival guide: $57
MJLBB: $50
Third edition: $66
Slacker
Most sourcebooks retail for $19.99 or $24.99. The third ed core retails for $29.99.
Kanada Ten
1 US dollar = 1.3344 Oz dollars

So SR3 should cost only $40.02 Oz.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
1 US dollar = 1.3344 Oz dollars

So SR3 should cost only $40.02 Oz.

Until you consider things like shipping costs, import taxes, etc. Amittedly, though, those probably don't amount to $25 per book.
Kanada Ten
Until you consider things like shipping costs, import taxes, etc. Amittedly, though, those probably don't amount to $25 per book.

It doesn't seem to affect the price of the UK books that much either, or does it?
FlakJacket
Yeah but we're getting about a dollar eighty to the pound at the moment so that kinda helps somewhat.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Azrael)

Year of the comet : $57
Threats 2: $41.25
Sprawl survival guide: $57
MJLBB: $50
Third edition: $66

the joy on your players' faces as the team finally stops that master shedim: Priceless biggrin.gif
BIG BAD BEESTE
Also I don't think we have to pay VAT on books here in the UK either. Thats the reason things like GM screens and boxed sets cost more, they're not classified as "books".
Adam
The high costs of RPGs in Australia have nothing to do with the manufacturers, and everything to do with increased shipping costs, exchange rate, and other import/distribution fees.
Azrael
30% of the price in shipping and crap? Seems a bit ludicrous. But, I know there is nothing much I can do about it, just nice to know how much worse off we really are.

Thanks for the info guys.
Edward
The size of the industry in Australia is also a contributing factor.

Since Valhalla closed as far as I know tactics is the only remaining true gaming store in Perth (ok there are some that do mostly board games and have a shelf for RPG and2 branches of games workshop but they don’t have much general RPG resources)

Edward
Link
I just got SOTA64 through mailorder (closest gaming store is 1600 km I believe) from Melbourne for $50. $A50 - GST is A45.45.

SRP is A33.34 (or US24.99)

A quick search reveals the following prices (US then AUS $)
21.95 29.29
19.99 26.67
17.49 23.34 - Stiggybaby's

How much is international mail? We should do a bulk shipment to Oz for new books.
ZorbaTHut
I recently sent a 17lb package from San Francisco to Germany. $150. The FedEx site claims that the same package would cost $170 to Melbourne (assuming 3004 is a reasonable Australian postal code, which I have no idea about, but it's what I found.)

On the other hand, it's worth pointing out that amazon.com sells SR3 for $21 (and SOTA64 for $14). And according to their Australia shipping info they'll charge $12 for shipping, or $7+$5/item. Which admittedly is US$, not A$.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012