Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pattern Matching/Picture Recognition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Birdy
Just how capabel are SR computers when given a camera feed off the average mall (Assume IR and normal light) and the following orders:

Find all Orcs/Elfs/Trolls/Dwarfs/Humans in the scene

Find a specific human (undisguised) in the scene

Find a specific human (disguised) in the scene

Identify "patterns" (i.e. one person standing at a position for a long time or returning to it very often)

Birdy
Tanka
Probably pretty good, as technology is quickly approaching the "insta-recognize" software already.

Granted, a lot of our tech is beyond SR history (we've already got a basic DNI, whereas SR's didn't come until after The Big Virus/The Crash, IIRC).
GrinderTheTroll
It's all software driven. The more "smart" you write the software the better decisions it can make. The more and varied types of input, I'd guess the better chance it would have of making an accurate prediction.
sidartha
For the find specific person options I would say that it takes the equivalent of a Frame sitting on the security host and running a rather large program (much more complicated version of Browse) to insta photograph everyone in the field of view then compare that to a known photo.
This is probably already developed tech(in 2064) but I would say it is also expensive so not every mall in the UCAS would have it.
Finding someone who is disguised would require even more computing power.
Of course YMMV.
Ol' Scratch
On a related note, the old Tir na n'Og sourcebook had some munchkin weapon that the Tir Ghosts used that relied on facial recognition or some such. It's been forever since I even thought about cracking that book open, though, but it has been talked about in a game mechanic way before. Might wanna check it out.
Kanada Ten
One could relate it to the new spell "Word Recognition" from SotA64 (I treat lie detectors like Analyze Truth at a force equal to rating only opposed by Charisma).
Critias
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
On a related note, the old Tir na n'Og sourcebook had some munchkin weapon that the Tir Ghosts used that relied on facial recognition or some such. It's been forever since I even thought about cracking that book open, though, but it has been talked about in a game mechanic way before. Might wanna check it out.

It was awful nice of those Irish elves to give their cool munchkin super-sniper rifles to the Tir Tairngire specops guys. wink.gif
Diesel
I think I read about it, doesn't it hit you so hard your ethnic heritage is eliminated? Like those little bubbles on Scantron forms, whatever you are, just BLAM, you're dead, the bubble is gone?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012