Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blackjacks Shadowrun Page
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cable
This is for everybody. The veterans of SR who miss the man, the newbies who don't know him...and me who still checks his page looking and praying for an update. Where has the ultimate GM gone? I assume he doesn't play.

For anyone who doesn't know. BJ's SR page is the bible of GM advice. He has stories and essays all pertaining to good (but now slightly outdated) games and real life situations. Please visit his site and keep bitter gamemastering alive!!!

http://blackjack.dumpshock.com/

"Which option's best? If you guessed C, you get a cookie."
-Blackjacks Guide to Bitter Gamemastering 101
mrobviousjosh
I'm not an experienced veteran of SR like so many other games but I know Black Jack well. I have scoured the web to find GOOD advice that is more than merely mechanics to teach new players and to learn more myself and Black Jack's has consistently won. It's been a while since I've checked his page out, but I hope he comes back soon.
Large Mike

Everyone always bugged him for more content and more updates, and it was just his hobby, not his sacred duty, so he said 'screw all y'all' and dropped off the face of the planet, never to be heard from again.

He briefly tried a comeback, explaining the whys of the previous dissapearance, and the same thing happened again, so he decided he didn't want to be bothered about it *that* much and became a hermit again.

He's kinda like our own personal version of that guy who wrote Catcher in the Rye, except he put out good work,
Moon-Hawk
J.D. Salinger
Ancient History
"Which option's best? If you guessed C, you get a cookie."
-Blackjacks Guide to Bitter Gamemastering 101

I remember those days! Man, what a heady rush.
Feonyx
I too love Blackjacks guide as it covers the cornerstones of good GMing in SR.. heck GMing in general.

I wish he would come back and start to update too. Maybe now that fansites can generate some ad dollars it would be a more interesting passtime for him?

Feonyx
Mercer
Blackjack wrote Catcher in the Rye?

I mean, yeah, thats a good site. Its good particularly for inspiration, and I love the maps and Sat images that he's collected/created. Most of his columns/rants reminds me of the groups I played with when I first started out in SR. Good times.
Kagetenshi
I'm not so much a fan of a lot of his advice, but I want more Brumby: Troll Philosopher.

~J
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'm not so much a fan of a lot of his advice, but I want more Brumby: Troll Philosopher.

I didn't want to be the first one to say as much, but I agree whole heartedly. His Brumby stories were fantastic, but his style of GMing and game philosophy (especially about the cows) was... well... antithesis to my own.
DocMortand
Hey, I liked the cows. Was a bit over the top, perhaps...but effective. Of course, that's the whole reason it wasn't a guide to GMing, it was a guide to bitter GMing.

Haven't read the maps and Brumby section yet, I'm slogging my way through it. The char section is interesting tho, may start using some of them in my campaign (especially Crazy Eye the bus driver...that was classic)
LinaInverse
I've seen GMs do variants of the "Cows from Space" and it annoys me as a player every time (in fact, it's my number one issue that ticks me off).

If a GM has a problem with a player that goes beyond forgetting his southern accent (the example BJ used), then just take the player aside and talk to him. Most reasonable players will listen and adjust accordingly because most players ultimately want to succeed in their virtual lives. The heavy-handed approach just pisses people off and has ended more formerly-good campaigns than I want to think about.
DocMortand
Hey, I liked 'em as a concept. I would never use 'em tho - I'm more subtle.
LinaInverse
Wasn't talking about you Doc; I've had no issue with your game. I was talking about GMs I've played with (and walked from) in the past.
L.D
Talking is good, but sometimes the player wont listen and then all you have left is the cow.
Sabosect
No problems with me forgetting a Southern accent. I naturally have one.

Actually, I just got into his site and, well, am laughing my hoop off.
Adam
QUOTE (L.D)
Talking is good, but sometimes the player wont listen and then all you have left is the cow.

You can say "Sorry, if you're not planning on playing a game compatible with the rest of the players you may as well stay home." with a lot less effort and wasted time than dropping a cow on the player's character and hoping that gets the message across.
L.D
Disclaimer: I have never actually used a cow on any of my players. I have joking threatened players with it though.

Of course, telling the non-listening player to stop playing with the group is the easiest way, but circumstances can make it difficult to actually do that. And that assumes that s/he listens. wink.gif
Ol' Scratch
If you can't talk reasonably with your players and/or they refuse the wishes of you and your group, then dropping a cow on them is pointless itself. The only thing that ever accomplishes is pissing people off.
Fortune
I have to whole-heartedly agree with the Doc (and others) on the cow issue. Advocating the use of this kind of mechanism is my main gripe against Blackjack.
Feonyx
Yup the cow thing was my biggest 'beef' with Black Jack.. otherwise his imagination and his concepts were/are informative and funny.

I don't think a GM is a GM very long if he kills his characters off with flying bovine.

Feonyx
Cable
Hey, the man must have been doing something right. He posted for years and had comments on every edition of book up till '01. He's just an old school GM with old school problems. Of course it doesn't seem to help all his players were either newbies or munchins...its a two way street. Both the GM and players have to work at making a fun game for all.

Also, cows from space was just a figure of speech (mostly) he more avocated taking out problems that CANT be solved in any other way. Drop a plane, a god npc or hit the player with a semitruck. Not just cows...
Chance359
And who didn't love the month of chaos?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012