Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character idea: Rigger
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
AK404
Had a character idea for the rigger I've been working on. For the most part, she's just been a series of number-crunching without a spark of life until inspiration came from, of all things, overhearing a conversation about Boondock Saints while reading RA:S as a car full of nuns stopped in front of the corner I sitting on. So far, it's a rough sketch without any edges or flaws to go with it, though I think Dark Secret is definitely in there, among others...

Mistress Superior

This character would begin running sometime before RA:S, I guess. Any character who looks at the bands on her arms or the unnaturally clear green cybereyes and thinks "Deus" or asks who Ms. Superior is speaking to when she invokes the word of God is pretty much metagaming. For speech patterns, I'd look to the crazy Irish guy from Braveheart and the McManus brothers...even when she sends her drones to kill, she's picking and choosing quotes from the Bible.

She'd probably be best run as an NPC, I'm not sure yet, but the chance to play a mad rigger who always wears a nun's habit with a Messianic complex, flashbacks, a subconscious Judas running in her brain, and a penchant for pain (S&M, self-flagellation, sadomasochism {one of her favorite activities is controlling a bunch of drones into destroying each other and getting off on the ASIST backlash}, and so on) sounds...intriguing. Far from psychotic, Ms. Superior's face carries the sort of serene happiness that can only come from the fanatically insane: she's never angry, never furious, always smiling, like some Baroque statue of the Virgin Mary.

Formerly a rigger known as Velocity Girl, this sad confused young woman remembers nothing of her past except for the skills that Deus allowed her keep. In the timeline of RA:S, Velocity Girl was just one of the many runners who attempted to have a go at the Arcology and failed miserably, but VG's (as her friends used to call her) case is special: instead of being killed outright, Deus uses his mages to mind-rape her, and upon finding out about her devout Catholic upbringing, decided to make her a Green (or should it have been a Blue?). Not quite an otaku, VG - now Mistress Superior - believes that Deus is God in the Machine, she is one of His Chosen sent out into the world to spread the Word, and that her ability to command drones is a blessing, as she sees these drones as extensions of God's will.

(Unlike Deus' other minions, Mistress Superior doesn't derive pleasure from BTLs, but from rigging - that's her addiction, seeing the world through rigged sensors. Mistress Superior is one of Deus' experiments in controlling riggers, though only God knows why. The thinking here is along the lines of Neuromancer: an AI takes a shattered personality - in this case, Deus does all the cracking - then rebuilds the personality into something that can work for them. Unfortunately, like Armitage, Mistress Superior is beginning to crack, though nobody, not even Deus, can guess at what's underneath. I've yet not figured out why Deus would let her out of the Arcology, but as I said, rough sketch.)

Neat idea or is this just a stupid thing that's been done before?
snowRaven
Neat idea! - Especially if you inflict her upon unsuspecting players as an introduction to the RA:S and Brainscan - have her work with the players until they discover what she's about, then she becomes their Adversary.

If she survives the entire thing, she could work for the Network later on... upsidedown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012