Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dice Pools
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GaiasWrath8
Any one remeber a Social Pool?

In second edition I remeber some optional dice pools, any one remeber them and know if any of the third edition books have reprinted them?
Catsnightmare
The only Pools I know of in 3rd Edition are Combat, Astral, Karma, Control, Task and Hacking Pools. No other optional pools are mentioned unless I missed something in SOTA 2064 or MJLBB that I haven't read yet.
Ol' Scratch
The old Shadowrun Companion had the variant pools. No, they haven't resurfaced in 3rd Edition because, while good in concept, the mechanics they modified weren't designed with pools in mind.
mrobviousjosh
What's the task pool used for again? I can never seem to find it because I never use it but my Encephalon tells me I get extra dice for it (how do we determine dice for it again and where is it found as well)? Thanks.
Crimson Jack
We have a house rule for a Social Pool. Rather than using the Karma Pool for assistance in social situations, players use their SP (Charisma divided by 2, rounded down). We went this way because we all felt that it seemed a bit more realistic that those in the group with a higher Charisma should have more sway in a social situation than those who had a 1 in the Attribute. I don't remember how the old pool description read.
GaiasWrath8
Well at least I was not missing it. I usto love the social pool, made all the diference when trying to get a little extra money out of a Johnson. smile.gif
Morphling The Pretender
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
...Combat, Astral, Karma, Control, Task and Hacking Pools...

Don't forget Spell pool and Astral Combat pool.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (mrobviousjosh)
What's the task pool used for again? I can never seem to find it because I never use it but my Encephalon tells me I get extra dice for it (how do we determine dice for it again and where is it found as well)? Thanks.

See M&M p. 48 for details. It's also a convulted mess of a pool with different rules depending on the source. In general, however, they can be used with any Intelligence-linked Technical, Build/Repair, Knowledge, or Language Skill.

Sources include the Cerebral Booster, Chipjack Expert Driver, and Encephelon. There may be a few other sources, but those are the three main ones that I know of. All three are detailed in M&M as well.
Wireknight
Ah, the Social pool. I miss that almost as much as I miss the Athletics pool.

Social pool was applicable to all Social Skill tests, and had a value equal to (Intelligence + Charisma)/2.

Athletics pool was applicable only to Athletics tests, and had a value equal to (Quickness + Strength)/2.
BitBasher
The only canon reference to a social pool was in a previous edition where as an option to reduce karma pool sizes the karma pool must be spilt between specialties, and only karma pool in the appropriate group could be used for those tasks. The examples were a Dodge Pool and Social pool. These didn't add any dice, but was a further limit to karma pool accumulation.

Does anyone have a canon reference to these other dice pools that I have never officially seen in a book?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012