Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bounty On Toxic Shamans
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Otaku On Acid
I know the Draco Foundation has a 1000000 nuyen.gif bounty for a live toxic shamans, but does the UCAS have a general bounty for dead or alive toxics? I remember reading once somewhere they did, but I could be making stuff up. Also does anyone know about how much that bounty would be?
ES_Riddle
I doubt they have a bounty on dead toxics. Once a shaman is dead, she's just a pile of meat. Meat doesn't have an aura, so you can't assense it to make sure that it isn't just a bum in a toxic shaman costume.
Dashifen
True, but eye-witness accounts of the spirits summoned by the shaman and/or studies of the shaman's motivations could result in enough evidence to ascribe a bounty to those who bring in a dead shaman and claim it's toxic.

Thread Hijack: Anyone had a player go toxic? If so, how? I'm got a few people thinking about the Adversary Idol and I'd like to see if I could have them walking a fine line between "normal" shaman and toxicified bad-ass smile.gif Please answer Otaku on Acid's question either instead of or in conjunction with mine. He was first afterall.
Edward
The list of wanted criminals probably includes a few toxic shamans and they may well have individual bounties but the only reference I have seen to a general bounty was the draco foundation.

Edward
KillaJ
QUOTE (ES_Riddle)
a bum in a toxic shaman costume

I don't ever have worry about how I am going to explain a million bucks for a starting character again. cyber.gif

Kudos to you, sir.
Just Jonny
Adversary isn't really a toxic idol. As an idol of rebellion, a given Adversary shaman is probably more likely to go toxic, but that's most likely true of any conflict driven totem, like Shark, or Wolf, or whatever.
Kanada Ten
The UCAS government would not put a bounty on a class of metahumans, but specific criminals that are considered maged and dangerous would probably earn such from corps like Lone Star if just to save them some insurance money - which could rationally apply 10% of a staff magician's policy as the bounty. So around 100,000¥ for known and listed toxics? With the right connections one could have said toxic added to the list prior to bringing them in.
Espiritu
uh...I read somewhere in the books that bounties are not done on even Blood Ritual users. The reason is that governments didn't want people ganking every mage they saw on the basis of Blood Ritualists to get money.

Only bounties given on "identified" criminals were founded. Such as Joe Blow the Blood Ritualist or Billy Bob the Toxic shaman who's been personally declaired a criminal on bounty.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
The UCAS government would not put a bounty on a class of metahumans, but specific criminals that are considered maged and dangerous would probably earn such from corps like Lone Star if just to save them some insurance money - which could rationally apply 10% of a staff magician's policy as the bounty. So around 100,000¥ for known and listed toxics? With the right connections one could have said toxic added to the list prior to bringing them in.

You would think. But Shadowrun, at least while it was under FASA's rule, didn't seem to care about the law or even common sense. Dunkelzahn seemed to have no trouble including various highly illegal conditions in his will (like stripping someone of their SIN just so they could go on a blood hunt for him).
psykotisk_overlegen
But then again dragons seem to follow different rules than everyone else.
If I was a dragon I'd break any law I didn't much care for.
lorthazar
Actually if it was one of his corporations that issued the SIN then what he did was perfectly legal.
Ol' Scratch
Yeah, because publically stripping someone of their citizenship (not to mention all of his bank accounts, contracts, credsticks, and everything else) just so you can hunt them down is totally legal. Why Bush didn't bother to do that with Kerry before the election is beyond me!
Garland
Well, we don't have SINs yet, for one thing... nyahnyah.gif
lorthazar

Yeah, because publically stripping someone of their citizenship (not to mention all of his bank accounts, contracts, credsticks, and everything else) just so you can hunt them down is totally legal. Why Bush didn't bother to do that with Kerry before the election is beyond me!

If the company was extraterritorial you have no idea what is legal and what isn't so clam up. nyahnyah.gif
Ol' Scratch
Dunkelzahn only stripped away his SINs (regardless of their origins, mind you) as a minor aspect of all the other things he stripped away. His citzenships, finances, and history was wiped away just 'cause. And that's just one of the aspects of his will that was blatantly illegal.

lorthazar: If it were a Corporate SIN, and that was the only thing erradicated, you might be onto something. But since there was absolutely no mention of a Corporate SIN (which is not the same as a general SIN), and everything about him was erased not just his SIN (note the lack of the word "Corporate" there), then guess what... it's very bleeding doubtful that it was a Corporate SIN. Even if it was, he was still authorizing a frelling blood hunt on someone. Unless you also want to go on about some mindless blather about how Dunkelzahn reached from beyond the grave and trapped him on his corporate property, that alone makes that one entry illegal. Get a clue.
lorthazar
Okay

Point A: Mister Drekhead made a deal with a dragon. probably and eight hundred page contract that somewhere in it gave Dunklezhan power of attorney.

Point B: If the SIN was form a extraterritorial company any citizenship he had in any country was dependant on that SIN. SIN gone Citizenship gone.

Point C: Non SINners are not allowed bank accounts and are as far as the UCAS is concerned nonexsistant.

Thus completely legal. Just not by today's laws
Ol' Scratch
Oy.
Jason Farlander
Lets take a look at the entry of interest

For a period of ten days beginning on 14 February 2057, Lars J. Matthews will cease to possess any legal status. He will be stripped of all evidence of legal existence, including SIN, credsticks, DocWagon contract, bank accounts and so on. To the individual or group who ends Lars J. Matthews’ physical existence during those ten days, I leave all of Matthews’ assets and 1 million nuyen for a job well done. If Mr. Matthews survives and can prove his identity, his legal status and all possessions will be restored to him. Haven’t you heard? Never deal with a dragon, Lars.

Oh look at that, the legality of the entry is completely irrelevant, as the period of time specified for the elimination of his SIN occurred *before* the Big D's death. There was no one to arrest for the entry, and the fact that the entry could not be carried out meant that the Draco Foundation couldnt be brought up on charges for it.

I, personally, dont think it was even meant to be ever carried out. More of a warning.
Ol' Scratch
That or it was just a typo. But to each their own. If you like, I can point to a few other examples, but somehow I don't think anyone cares.

On a completely different note, I've actually used that entry as part of the background for a runner character of mine. Thought it was an interesting way to have a character become SINless and have little recourse other than to run the shadows since the rest of his life had been erradicated. (On a similar vein, he also goes by the alias Dragonslayer on the 'Trix. Though this is only in our games and hardly official.)
Garland
Where does it say that Dunk is setting this up? The way it's worded, it could just be a news report. It says "such and such will happen. If someone kills him, they get his stuff and more." It doesn't say "I want everyone to go shoot him after I take away his rights." Granted, that's almost certainly what it means. However, it could very well be set up legally; perhaps Lars' will specifies that his killers be given all his stuff. As someone said earlier, maybe Lars was dumb enough to give Dunk power of attorney at some point.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
That or it was just a typo.

That was what I thought at first, but its never been errata'd and it has been copied and reposted many, many times, including a version on the official site, whence I copied that quoted section. *shrugs* Like I've said in the past, usually my philosophy is to take the information presented and try to make it make sense for me, rather than allowing myself to be dismayed by the apparent unreasonableness. Sometimes (such as the force 20 sustaining focus having availability 2/48 hrs ) that just doesn't work, though.
Ol' Scratch
I don't think they ever bothered with errata for that book anyway, have they?
GaiasWrath8
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Thread Hijack: Anyone had a player go toxic? If so, how? I'm got a few people thinking about the Adversary Idol and I'd like to see if I could have them walking a fine line between "normal" shaman and toxicified bad-ass smile.gif Please answer Otaku on Acid's question either instead of or in conjunction with mine. He was first afterall.

I am sure I am way late on this subject but...

I had a player go toxic, it caused all hell. First the Shaman of the group wanted to kill him, one of the sams wanted to stick by him because he was a friend, the other two players took sides and in the end only the player who did not wanted any part of the toxic shaman or the fight survied. Thats right, they killed themselves in a bloody fight, one of the fighters survived long enough to make it down stairs and got shot by lones star for walking the streets with a weapons on display and for leaving a trail of blood on those clean side walks. Did I mention this all took place in an A zone?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012