Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Botched Quickdraw video
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jason Farlander
As some of you might remember, a while back someone posted a link to a video of a failed attempt to rob a convenience store, in which the would-be robber accidentally tossed his gun across the counter, and then ran off when the clerk grabbed it. Unfortunately, the dumpshock search function hates me.

If someone could repost the link, or a link to that thread, I'd appreciate it greatly.
Kanada Ten
Was that on the old forum? I'm looking here, but there's nobody home.
Arethusa
I'm pretty sure it was on this iteration of the forum, but I can't remember where. Austere probably has a link still about.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Austere probably has a link still about.

Sorry? I know I've seen the clip a few times before, but I've no idea where you might find it on the net. I don't even remember in what context it appeared on the forum.
Ol' Scratch
I remember the thread. It was one in which someone was demonstrating the Rule-of-One in action. There was much debate over it.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Austere probably has a link still about.

Sorry? I know I've seen the clip a few times before, but I've no idea where you might find it on the net. I don't even remember in what context it appeared on the forum.

Damn. Man, if you don't remember, no one does.
Shockwave_IIc
I remember it (no link though) didn't the store owner almost fumble picking it up of the counter??
Fresno Bob
If that were to happen to you, and you caught the gun or somesuch, would it be a crime to make the mugger give you all his money?
Ol' Scratch
Yes.
Fresno Bob
That sucks.
Ol' Scratch
Doesn't mean I wouldn't do it if the opportunity arose, then donated the money to an anti-crime charity or something. smile.gif
Luke Hardison
Jason --

I saved a copy of it on my hard drive. PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send it to you.
Jason Farlander
Cool, thanks Luke!

PM sent.
Mr. Man
Here is the original thread.
Jason Farlander
Gah! Why the hell didnt searching for 'quick' and 'draw' find that thread? Both words appear in the second fraggind post!
Kanada Ten
It does if you add the "-" to quick-draw.
Austere Emancipator
Because you would have had to search for "quick-draw" without the quotes. I tried "Quick Draw" and "Quickdraw", neither of which appear in the thread. Similarly I tried searching for "Rule-of-One" and "Rule-of-Ones", and the same without the hyphens, none of which appear in the thread either.
Stumps
frown.gif
The link in that old thread links to another thread that links to the video, but the link to the video is broken.*sniffle*
Hasaku
0wned
psykotisk_overlegen
I've never seen the clip before.
It's great, how do criminals that are so bad at their "job" keep themselves fed?
It'd be a nice trick with a booby-trapped toygun though.
BaronJ
that would be classified as a "D'oh" moment.

Come to think of it.. I had a character do something very similar recently... Something about jumping up and going "Drek! Ninja!", fumbling the gun, and getting one's arm cut off.

At least It gave me a reason to get a cyberarm!
Tanka
QUOTE (BaronJ)
that would be classified as a "D'oh" moment.

Come to think of it.. I had a character do something very similar recently... Something about jumping up and going "Drek! Ninja!", fumbling the gun, and getting one's arm cut off.

At least It gave me a reason to get a cyberarm!

Ew.

Get a clone-replacement.

Cyberarms, as per canon rules, are useless save for storing lots of stuff.
psykotisk_overlegen
Cyberarms are a very good option when you've lost your arm. When you still have both attached however, it's not a very good option. Unless of course you have a few million nuyen to spare and don't mind losing your essence.
Ol' Scratch
Nope. Cloned arms are significantly cheaper than cyberarms, and they come at your natural Attribute rating -- cyberarms do not, and you have to pay out the yin-yang in both Essence and nuyen to raise them up if you're a significantly strong or fast individual.
psykotisk_overlegen
Assuming of course that you have High strength and quickness atributes. It is cheaper and easier to improve a cyberarms strength or quickness.
Besides, cloned parts requires you to give someone DNA-samples. Someone getting their hands on your DNA could very well happen during a cybersurgery as well, but it is not required.
Stumps
Ok, just saw that video.
First impression. What a dumbass.

Then I watched it over and over and over and over and over and...you get the idea.

Second impresson?
This was completely staged.

1) Watch the thief pull the gun out. It comes OUT upside down in his hand as if it were put IN his coat that way.

2) Watch the thiefs hand that's holding the gun right before he "drops" it.
His hand lunges forward as one does when you are tossing something, and then repels back like you would if you didn't like something you were holding.

3)After the thief has thrown the gun he continues up to the counter until his pelvis is flush up against it. Here he waits and watches the store clerk grab the weapon and holds his hands up as if already aprehended rather than scrambling for the weapon.

4)Watch how long it takes for the thief to run out. He makes several double checks back at the clerk who at an earlier point, during the thiefs flight, hasn't even gotten the gun nearly in his control yet.

5)[and this is probably the biggest give away] The clerk NEVER looked up until the end when he pointed the gun at the thief. He wasn't even a BIT surprised by the event. He was looking down at a magazine, then he had a gun on the counter and he mildly and slowly grabs the gun and takes his time getting it up and pointed at the thief. The gun landed right into his hands that were already on the counter. It landed RIGHT in the middle of them.

To me...these guys wanted to get their footage on these kinds of shows.

But hey...that's just me.

Still funny though.
Mr. Man
I always thought the video was a little fishy, but never took the time to frame-by-frame it or anything.

"Back, and to the left..."

Even fake, it's still a good example of the rule of ones. smile.gif
Stumps
I must say I'm sorry...I've been watching CSI ALOT lately.
CSI Miami: finished entire season 1
CSI Vegas: almost done with season 1

(Hey...I've been couped up in my room with nothing really to do as my knee heals.)

So I might be a little over kill on analysing things like this.
Again...sorry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012