Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Updating
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fred
Hi,

My friends and I started playing SR since 1989. We spent several years in the Sixth World, moving from first to second edition. We bought a lot of sourcebooks and adventures, nad had a lot of fun. The last time we played was in early 1998. Now, we are back in the game and using third edition. Since I've grown to dislike dice pools systems, I converted everything to Unisystem. However, I still us ethe SR books for stats etc. Aside form the core book, which supplements shoudl we get? Man and Machine, Magic in the Shadows? We have Virtual Realities 2.0, Cybertechnology, Paranormals Animals of South America an a few others. We used to have Street Samurai Catalog, but it disappeared. Is there a third edition weapon book?

Anyway, thanks for any help you guys might give me. smile.gif

Tchau!
Kanada Ten
I don't understand why you want the weapons' book if you're converting it all to a different system (just use NSRCG to get all the gear). The books I'd think most useful to you are the fluff ones like Shadows of North America or even the State of the Art[s].

However: Man and Machine, Cannon Companion, Magic in the Shadows, Rigger 3 Revised, and Matrix are the primary rule books with the CC as the 3rd edition weapon expansion.

Stiggybaby has been recommended as a good source to buy books online.
Shadow
Hmm, I think you shopuld try 3rd ed again, but if you don't I recommend the State of the Art books, they have lots of good stuff in them you can use.

Wherever you go to buy, do not use FastForward, they kill you on the shipping.
Fred
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I don't understand why you want the weapons' book if you're converting it all to a different system (just use NSRCG to get all the gear).

So as to keep the feel and get the pictures. You know, so the players know what their weapons look like. Also, if I don't really have the stat, I can't convert it.

Thanks and tchau!
Fred
QUOTE (Shadow)
Hmm, I think you should try 3rd ed again

I thought about it, but some of my friends had really bad experiences with SR's dice pool system, like rolling 14 dice to beat a TN 6 and not scoring a single success. smile.gif

Tchau!
RedmondLarry
Kanada Ten has good suggestions on the books to use. I've used Stiggybaby and had good results.
Crimson Jack
Try using the d20 Modern rules and just write "Shadowrun" on the cover of the manual with a Sharpie marker.
Club
CC and the other 3rd ed. stuff is really short on pics of gear.
Kanada Ten
So as to keep the feel and get the pictures. You know, so the players know what their weapons look like. Also, if I don't really have the stat, I can't convert it.

Sadly, you'll not find many pictures of use in the CC. For stats, I think you could just use the Character Generator program found here as it has all the important stats. The fluff books are really good, IMO. Sprawl Survival Guide, Dragons of the Sixth World, Corporate Download, SoNA, and the State of the Atrs books (hell even New Seattle) were really better than the new rule books which don't detail much more than the rules... at all.

I thought about it, but some of my friends had really bad experiences with SR's dice pool system, like rolling 14 dice to beat a TN 6 and not scoring a single success.

And that's a bad thing?
Teulisch
Shadowrun Companion is good, as it has rules for point-based character generation, as well as lycanthropes, ghouls, SOTA, and edges & flaws.

as far as d20 modern goes, you can get the SRD online for free.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd

toturi
Infidel! Heretic! Pagan! Kill the D20!

biggrin.gif
Fred
For stats, I think you could just use the Character Generator program

Unfortunately, I use an iMac.

And that's a bad thing?

Yes, it resulted in a TPK. Good times...

TchaU!
Fred
Whya are people speaking of d20? I never mentioned it! In fact, I'm not very fond of it either. smile.gif I use Unisystem.

TchaU!
Stumps
Hey Fred, is there a place where you can order or get ahold of the Unisystem's core rules outside of one of their flavor-products?
As in, I don't want to buy Buffy just so I can see their mechanics.

So where do I get ahold of the rule sets without any fluff to them?
Fortune
QUOTE (Fred)
Paranormals Animals of South America

Where did you get this book? I want one!!! biggrin.gif
Fred
QUOTE (Stumps)
So where do I get ahold of the rule sets without any fluff to them?

Well, the fluff is still there, but the whole thing is free, so you might as well download it. smile.gif

This link will download the WitchCraft core book PDF (it's around 7 Mb). It's classic Unisystem, but in order to turn it into Cinematic, you just need a broader skill list (similar to SR 1st edition), fixed damage (the number between parenthesis in the damage codes), Drama points and a few streamlined rules, like combat. RPGnet has several threads comparing the two versions.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Tchau!
Fred
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 16 2004, 07:13 AM)
Where did you get this book? I want one!!! biggrin.gif

Sorry, that was a typo. biggrin.gif But a friend of mine and I did send a proposal for that book years ago. We never heard from Fasa though. Anyway, there's a few sample animals in my webpage (the link is in my sig). Now, you can have fun with the Headless Mule, the Giant Snake, the Ipupiara, the Lesser River Drake etc. There are also three Amazonian corporations for your delight. JUst so you can make sense of the write-ups, we assumed that the Amazonian coup took over most of Brazil down to Rio de Janeiro, but São Paulo state was defended by the massive concentration of corporate forces, thus creating the São Paulo Corporate State (SPCS). The three southern Brazilian states seceded, becoming a new country.

Let me add that such a thing as Metropole (I understand it's a Rio-São Paulo sprawl) would very difficult to have, considering there's a whole range of mountains between them.

TchaU!
Fortune
I figured it was a typo. wink.gif

You might think about touching base with the Shadows of Latin America crew.
Synner
QUOTE (Fred @ Nov 16 2004, 05:31 PM)
Let me add that such a thing as Metropole (I understand it's a Rio-São Paulo sprawl) would very difficult to have, considering there's a whole range of mountains between them.

Actually the range runs parallel to the coastline and though large stretches of the area are currently uninhabited it is entirely plausible that the urbanization you are seeing today along the two main highways linking Rio to São Paulo might link up (especially given the combined population of the two cities plus migration from overgrown areas of the Brazilian heartland). In fact I've been told it'll happen in the next ten years. Also, it is highly unlikely the Metropole sprawl is one single continuous densely populated urbanization, but rather contiguous urban nexi spreading along those highways between the two great cities interspersed with undeveloped areas, farming, and even wilderness areas (not unlike the way the Seattle sprawl includes Snohomish and Fort Lewis) - which is partially why Metropole is described as being bi-polar.

The other reason why it is bipolar is summed up in an old Carioca/Rio joke where two men, a hard-working Paulista (São Paulo) and an easy going Carioca (Rio), find a magic lamp, call up the genie and each gets a wish. The Paulista goes first and asks the genie to put up a huge wall around São Paolo to keep out the riff-raff, especially the Cariocas. Then the Carioca gets his go and asks the genie fill the wall with water. Nah, no love lost there... and yeah it sounds funnier in Portuguese.
Stumps
You know...speaking of SR in places they haven't made spawls for...
The Shadows of Alaska could be an extremely interesting SR atmosphere with all the metahumanity and magic comming back.
The Native Art and rituals up there (here, as it always remains home to me) are actually not really too different from that of the Washington brand.
And besides...who wants to see a meta-kodiak bear SR style grinbig.gif
*raises hand eagerly*

Where's Shadow?
DocMortand
QUOTE (Stumps)
You know...speaking of SR in places they haven't made spawls for...
The Shadows of Alaska could be an extremely interesting SR atmosphere with all the metahumanity and magic comming back.
The Native Art and rituals up there (here, as it always remains home to me) are actually not really too different from that of the Washington brand.
And besides...who wants to see a meta-kodiak bear SR style grinbig.gif
*raises hand eagerly*

Where's Shadow?

I believe it is covered in Shadows of North America - Alaska is split into Trans-Aleut Polar and Athabaska, I believe.
Stumps
hmm...I'll need to grab that and disect it.
I'm betting my nuyen that it's off kilter.
Most often times that non-residents of AK attempt to do things refering to AK, they end up wide left.
I will give automatic props for the proper reference to Aleuts though.
Most often, you get eskimos for some off the wall reason.

But really...there are quite a number of tribes up in AK...and boy...they didn't all really like eachother all that much...in fact...they still don't among some of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012