Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much :nuyen: does a host cost?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Da9iel
I'm trying to get a feel for how much money it costs to build and maintain various systems in order to better gauge what kind of host to give various businesses and corporations. I'm thinking on the order of Security Rating * Access * Control * Index * Files * Slave * (1 for blue, 2 for green, 3 for orange, and 4 for red).
That comes out to 590 k for a typical green easy and 34.5 M for a typical red hard (according to the random tables in SR3). Then maybe 5% annual maintenance costs on top of that. Is that too expensive? Too cheap? Of course the size and memory etc will play a role, but I'm looking for guidelines based on security.
Mr. Man
This has been brought up a few times before:
Da9iel
Oops. Always search first. Bad human. frown.gif
Thanks. You da man.
Kagetenshi
For what it's worth, 34.5 mill seems cheap for a Red-Hard.

~J
Jason Farlander
I would also say that 590 K seems pricey for a Green-Easy. Remember, the basic telecom found in every modern household, at the bare minimum, is a Blue-4 8/8/6/6/6. If such a thing cost 55k nuyen.gif I don't think they'd be quite so ubiquitous.
mfb
especially since SR3 lists them at (Mp*20*1.5).
Necro Tech
The host is not the big deal, try pricing out that IC.
Da9iel
OK, how much memory for a typical telecom? If it's got 1000 mp to fit "standard data cartridges" (SR3 p. 288, under Data Display Systems), then my formula is not that far off for a blue system. Divide by half (27.6 k is close to 30 k). If red needs to cost more, then change the formula to

½ * rating * A * C * I * F * S * (1 for blue, 4 for green, 9 for orange, 16 for red)

A standard blue 4 telecom would then be 27.6 k. Green easy would be 590 k. Red hard would be around 69.1 M.

If that's not steep enough, we progress the color values by their cube (1,8,27,64). That would double the sample green easy and put red hard to 276 M.

Again, how much mp in a telecom anyway? Much more than a pocket sec (100 mp) I hope. frown.gif Thanks for your help.
GrinderTheTroll
I had DL'd a great web-site that someone had taken alot of time to come up with some information on just this, but I can't locate my files on it. dead.gif
Mr. Man
This was linked in the April thread.

Kagetenshi
And is written by someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. Mainframes are larger than a Troll can reasonably shift. I'm looking at the specs for a mid-range IBM mainframe, and it has a listed minimum weight of 674 kilos.

~J
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
This was linked in the April thread.

I seem to remember one a bit more verbose, maybe it was an older itteration, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012