Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chatbots
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Solidcobra
Okay, this is basically what i thought up from nowhere during a game session... Chatbots.
Imagine Smarterchild on steroids and a whole load of streetdrugs, that's a chatbot.
Basically, they are limited to simple functions, speech, playing games, doing functions in the home and such. They are made to be as human-like as possible. Basically, you install it, pick a voice and a look for them, and they'll show up on the walls in the house (walls that have that chameleon paint on them as described in the SSG) and talk to you.
Of course, they can't limit you from doing anything (so no "Sorry Dave, i can't let you do that" moments), but they can keep secrets and recognize voice patterns, basically they are either nifty toys or something close to a companion, depending on who you are. Downloading additions to them are possible (IE: Medical knowledge or the ability to play go or mahjong or whatnot), but most non-fanmade cost nyen to download, they also have access to the matrix to do searches for you.
They can also learn from past experience, so they'll know how you like your coffee just from your slight comments, not from direct commands. This easily gives them a "human" feeling. Rumors of them to be semi-autonomous knowbots seem to be unfounded.
I more or less made it up myself, if it's out there already, sorry.
comments? price range for them? etc?
Kanada Ten
That's almost exactly how I imagine telecoms to be (basically, advanced pocket secretaries), though the chameleon paint idea is pretty neat. And they would most definitely have to power to override you in many circumstances (since your health care provider, landlord, and company HR director all get a hand in the programming).

[edit] Actually, that's what my .sig is all about

And imagine the poor burglar that forgets to disable the unit...

Crook: "Ultra, I'm in..."
Tele: "I wasn't informed we'd have visitors."
Crook: "Frag, I forgot to disable the telecom."
Tele: "Disable me? I'm afraid I can't let you do that."
<all the lights and walls begin to strobe in a mind bending frequency>
Tele: "I have informed the police of this incident. You are to remain where you are."
Cray74
QUOTE (Solidcobra)
Okay, this is basically what i thought up from nowhere during a game session... Chatbots.

See: Pocket Secretary and the home telecom.

I figure most computers can have this level of brains as parting of their operating system. If not, add a utility for language and etiquette. Autosofts with skills shouldn't be limited to cars.

, but they can keep secrets and recognize voice patterns,

I believe Matrix or Target: Matrix discusses security software for cyberdecks. This should translate to other computers. Alternately, just add a voice recognition security system to the home and say it's part of the telecomm.

Rumors of them to be semi-autonomous knowbots seem to be unfounded.
I more or less made it up myself, if it's out there already, sorry.
comments? price range for them? etc?

I'd use smart frames and agents to model the really clever "chatbots." They supposedly have the brainpower of "robots," the really smart drones discussed in Rigger 3. A rating-4 agent should therefore be about as intelligent as a well-trained company man. Translating to Chatbots, that'd mean the chatbot is a really good butler or other house manager type.
Dashifen
And your corporation:

Me: I'd like to see that new line of Vashon Island clothing.
Wall: I'm sorry, sir, that line of clothing is not available through this wall.
Me: Damn!
Wall: You have been reported for violating the loyalty clause of your corporate contract.
Me: Damn!
Wall: Have a nice day!
Me: Frag off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012