Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3rd Ed Archtypes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
twofalls
Hey guys, I need a bunch of ready made characters to make my life easier. I did a search for Archtypes and the Dumpshock search engine... well it dumped. No response. Anyone have any pet sites they use when they need a quick NPC?
Kanada Ten
OurTeam has a section of archtypes from the books embedded into printready sheets.

TSS has a bunch of charactets about the various issues. Seven Samurai, NonRunners, and those in the adventure "Infected Greetings" along with some here and there in the Places to Go, People to Meet sections.
twofalls
This is great, thanks!
twofalls
Oh, its just the base book archtypes. frown.gif I was hoping for more variety.
kevyn668
I kinda like the 7 Sams thing for ideas but as with the BBB arch's I'd never use one unless it was tourney play or something.

Here's a few questions:

Why does the Sub Sam in the 7 Sams have a stepped reflex trigger? He only has Wired 1...What gives? Did I miss something?

Why do they all pack caseless guns? Submitor preference, I assume but I could have missed something.

Again with the Sub Sam, why no Colt Water Carbine? I've never had a reason to use that bizzar hunk of crap, but I couldn't think a better arch.

Anyone got any thoughts?
Tanka
QUOTE (kevyn668)
I kinda like the 7 Sams thing for ideas but as with the BBB arch's I'd never use one unless it was tourney play or something.

Here's a few questions:

Why does the Sub Sam in the 7 Sams have a stepped reflex trigger? He only has Wired 1...What gives? Did I miss something?

Why do they all pack caseless guns? Submitor preference, I assume but I could have missed something.

Again with the Sub Sam, why no Colt Water Carbine? I've never had a reason to use that bizzar hunk of crap, but I couldn't think a better arch.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Because Stepped Reflexes are cooler. cool.gif

Caseless means no tracing it back to you by the case. D'uh. nyahnyah.gif

Colt Water Carbine is good underwater. If the character isn't going underwater, why buy a gun that is only truly good underwater?
kevyn668
Caseless means no tracing it back to you by the case. D'uh.

Well, yeah, there's that...smartass biggrin.gif

Colt Water Carbine is good underwater. If the character isn't going underwater, why buy a gun that is only truly good underwater?

He's a Sub Sam. smile.gif

I don't care how cool the Stepped Trigger is. Putting one on Wire 1 is like putting tits on bull (Gosh, I've always wanted to say that)
Tanka
Sub as in underwater or Sub as in SMG?

*hasn't read 7 Samurai. Is lazy.*
kevyn668
Shame on you. Clicking that link was just too much, huh? nyahnyah.gif

I assumed Sub as in "-marine." He's got the cybergill, cyberfins, and the Diving skill.
Kanada Ten
Sub Samurai
Concept: An elf samurai, built for underwater action.
Tanka
Ah, then he should have the Carbine. Maybe he just likes being silly.
kevyn668
Fair enough.
Edward
He doesn’t have a single underwater weapon.

Giro jet pistol
Spear gun
Water carbine

Take one.

Edward
iPad
Theyre all a bit boring on paper anyway. Something few touch on it seems is doing a generic runner, but looking into actual roleplayed characters, not the bits of paper and backgrounds.
Apathy
Characters built using bastardized rules and some out of date stuff, but decent flavor...link
kevyn668
QUOTE (Apathy)
Characters built using bastardized rules and some out of date stuff, but decent flavor...link

OMG!! Are those SR1?!? eek.gif

Pretty much all archetypes will rub you the wrong way. That's why we all like SR. It let us be a little more unique.smile.gif
Tanka
kevyn: Either 1st or 2nd. Can't tell at the moment. (It'd be an easy-shot if they posted stats for the weapons.)
Apathy
According to the first page, it's SR2. But it's also pasked with gobs of house rules that seem to pile on the muchkins. (Psychic rules, rules for stacking on more than 6 points of cyber, anime-type cyber).
Method
Not to mention the assault cannon w/ sound suppressor.... sarcastic.gif
Zeel De Mort
QUOTE (kevyn668)

The stepped reflex trigger will still allow him to turn the system on and off. So say he wants to fit in (slightly) better in a social situation, he could engage that and would look a bit less twitchy, mow down innocent people a little less often, etc.

I think one of the 2nd Ed books said caseless was actually much more common than cased in the future, but don't quote me on that. Do quote the books though, if you have them. smile.gif
Fortune
No, a Reflex Trigger allows the Wired Reflexes to be shut off and turned on. A Stepped Trigger has the added feature of allowing Wired Reflexes to be used at a lower level (i.e Wired Reflexes 2 can be turned down to 1), and would be superfluous with Wired 1.
kevyn668
Opps. Fortune beat me to it.
Zeel De Mort
Oops.

Oh well, maybe they made the same mistake I did then, except in reverse. biggrin.gif
Glyph
Eh, it's just a little mistake. If you use it, change it to a normal reflex trigger. I've made those kind of mistakes a lot, because I've made revisions to characters and forgotten to do things like re-calculate Combat Pool or change the flavor text referring to something in the original configuration.

@iPad: Archetypes generally are generic and unfleshed-out. They are meant to be a generic "type" such as bounty hunter, break-in decker, ex-corporate assassin, etc. They are ready to play, but the player still needs to fill in the details of description and background. I like to see a bit of flavor text with an archetype, though. A description of the character's role helps, but a first-person monologue and a few quotes are even better. I liked that about the old first and second edition archetypes.

@twofalls: I have a few archetypes that I have done. I may post them here later (with spoilers, so they won't take up too much room for people scrolling down the thread). Here's one of them, a former Lone Star sorcerer:

[ Spoiler ]

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012