Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Seattle Intelligencer OOC thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Synner
Okay, as you've noticed by now the SI thread is back up and running. Everyone is free to post on the IC thread as long as they follow the format and avoid blatant violations of canon information (no news saying Dunkie is still President or announcing the arrival of Aliens with the Comet in 2061). At the end of the month I will compile all the posts in the thread into a "newsfax format" pdf and will place them on a site to download.

News items, reviews and indepth reports should all be done in character and should include the following style guidesline:

title in bold [ie. 10 Dead In Fire on Everett Waterfront]
jornalist name [ie. IC character name for whoever posted the report to the SI newsfeed]
location [ie. List district, city (country)]
---empty line---
main text [paragraphs separated by empty lines if possible]

I've already posted a couple of newsitems in the thread for you to use as guidelines. Take a look before you post.

Also try to make sure your news report covers the big questions every jornalist should ask: Who? Where? When? How? and Why? This not only rounds out the post better but it also covers most of the basics an enterprising GM needs to turn a particular article into a plothook wink.gif.

Obviously this doesn't apply if you're doing a restaurante or nightclub review but even so, the more details you add the more "usable" the material becomes to others readers.

So what are you waiting for? Let's get this rolling.

(Anyone interested in older issues please try here)
Street Wyze
Synner, I was wondering if you would allow me to create an advice column for the Seattle Intelligencer. I was thinking of calling it Ask Tully people would write in with questions and they would be answered by Tully, an Intelligence 3 troll...I'm thinking maybe even a former shadowrunner. I just think it would be funny to have someone like that answering questions about love, or raising children, y'know, the usual drek people write to columns of that sort. I just wanted to ask permission before I added something a little silly to the real thread...which is really cool IMHO.

Get back to me, Thanks. spin.gif
phelious fogg
Shouldnt it be Brunby the Troll Philosopher?
Street Wyze
QUOTE (phelious fogg)
Shouldnt it be Brunby the Troll Philosopher?

Sorry, don't know the reference you're making. Is this something that has been done before?
Synner
The advice column is an interesting idea and I'm willing to give it a shot. However I'd prefer you make it all one post, a single "column" if you will, rather than intersperse it among the other articles.
Kanada Ten
Synner, you need to fix the name of the second or last writer: Roy or Ray, not both, too crazy.

And also, Los Angeles is part of the PCC as of 2062, IICR.
Synner
Thanks. Don't know how that slipped.

BTW- Nice one grendel.
Shadowrunner13
Hey. I added an article. I hope you don't mind me doing a type of foreign correspondant type thing...

SR13
Synner
No problem at all. In fact several of the pieces I have planned will be "foreign" news. The Seattle Intelligencer includes an "International desk" for just this kind of news.
Tiralee
As a newb, I'd like to float a question ot some of the older hands regarding the SI.

I was thinking off adding an article regarding the napalm attack on the Spikes (Ie, the Spike wheels.) on the I 90 which left more than a few "unaccounted".

I was worried that this may unbalance some of the ganger ecosystem, but could tone the damage down.

BTW: it wasn't my guys, they were looking into running a monowire across the highway, but someone hit the Spikes before they got their plan into operation. (Thank all the gods!)

It's just nice when you can legally blow a plan because someone beat them to the punch and the paypacket.

Also some other related news regarding gangs and political connections (nothing shattering, just over-supplied humanis gangs and sudden, messy deaths.)
Synner
This is okay. As long as you don't wipe out the gang (hard since the Spikes should be pretty big and have at least a hundred members) or do long term irreperable damage then go for it. Remember the more details you provide (without giving too much away) the easier you'll make it for other people to get as much enjoyment from the news as your players do when they hear about it.
Tiralee
Actually, was wondering what month, year - I mean, I think the SI "column" was in January? This would be a winter-hit. Lots of troll-body heat, easy target...

And of course I wouldn't kill off the Spikes - they are as much of Seattle as the Anchients and I think I'd be accused of extreme munkinism if I even suggested that.

I'd just like to know if the other monthy contributions had another forum page, or do you simply throw in another date?

Thanks.

Synner
There will be one new SI Thread per month. I arbitrarily chose January 2063 for the first one. At the end of the month the thread will be "closed" and I will compile the news (and some extras) into a downloadable newsfax pdf file. Next month's will be February 2063 for instance. The pdf should be "unlocked" and so customizable. All you have to do is change the dates to suit your campaign and print it out as a handout.

Note - To be honest this wasn't entirely arbitrary. I actually have a major timeline event I want to do a piece on in the current issue and the canon SR timeline is currently in May 2063 (as of SSG).
Sepherim
A txt, doc or htlm version would also be nice for those of us who use the news separated in between and don't have the Acrobat Writer to change the format. It would, obviously, require the format to dissapear, or else it'd be way too much work.
Synner
Anyone interested in that post here and I will send you the edited Word version in either doc or rtf format.
Synner
Nice Dingus, very nice.
Shadowrunner13
QUOTE (Synner)
Anyone interested in that post here and I will send you the edited Word version in either doc or rtf format.

I'd prefer a doc format version of the SI, if you don't mind.

SR13
Kidst3alth
Id like a copy of it.. I believe my email is hidden badly in my .sig still...

Id prefer the formatted PDF format as I have acrobat (v5)
Synner
Granite - Nice to see you back old friend.

KidSt3alth - I'll mail everyone once the first issue is complete.
JongWK
Just posted my first one, hope you guys like it.
Kanada Ten
JongWK, I really liked the reporter tag, very Shadowrun with an ad inside everything. The article "tone" was very appropriate as well.

That's the other thing. What's the SI's real agenda? What articles would they censor or alter? Who is their backer?

And Synner, it's your turn. nyahnyah.gif
JongWK
Thanks, K10. The funny thing about the article is to play "spot-the-shadowrun". I figured that most runs never make it into the headlines, or if the do, the truth differs from what is reported.
Synner
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Oct 3 2003, 11:30 PM)
That's the other thing. What's the SI's real agenda? What articles would they censor or alter? Who is their backer?

Well, the SI is an independent newsfax that just lost its major corporate backing (INN) after a protracted legal battle with Lone Star about some reports done by one of the SI's jornalists from the site of the Halloween Parade Riots of '61. The SI won the case, but INN decided it wanted to remain on the best of terms with the Star in the future and cut the paper loose. A group of employees bought it up so they're now struggling to keep the paper. Their policy is to keep up with all the muck that the big corp owned papers don't...
JongWK
Synner, I'd also like to have the file as soon as you compile it, please.

Someday you'll all learn about the impact advertising has in the media. dead.gif sarcastic.gif
Wonazer
Synner, is SI the same company as the old Seattle Post-Intelligencer?
Synner
Assume the SI is what the SP-Intelligencer will become in 60 years time, after it's changed hands a few times and been run by a multinational news corp for a while.
Wonazer
Thank you. I live in Seattle and have found many things that I expected to see in an SR product not there.

If you ever need a Seattle 'consultant' let me know. =)
Synner
QUOTE (Nindaru)
I live in Seattle and have found many things that I expected to see in an SR product not there.

Sorry, I've been very ill recently and have been unable to come by the thread. Would you care to clarify the comment above?
Wonazer
I just meant that I have a few issues with canon Seattle and I run things a little differently.
Synner
Apologies for the relative absence. Been busy with other stuff. I'd like to wrap the current issue up and get it edited into shape soon, but first I need an Urban Brawl game review from someone to match the comment in the Editorial, while I finish off the article on European OC mentioned in the Editorial too.
Shadow
Who was Montreals opponet?
Synner
Feel free to pick one you like. It could be the Screamers or it could be anyone of the other big teams.
Nephyte
Business Section stuff cool?

Even if it involves Non-Canon corporations?
Synner
Everything is cool. Just avoid rocking the canon status quo too much (which means avoid making your corp a Triple A or one of the top AAs if at all possible).
Synner
Anyone? I just need that Urban Brawl review to close up the January issue and kick off the next one.
JongWK
I'm flooded with tests this week, so no compromises, but I could try have something for the weekend. wobble.gif

Of course, if somebody else comes up with an Urban Brawl article, go ahead and make Synner (and us!) happy.

Also: minor typo correction to my SSC-Tsimshian note.
Shadow
There you go, I don't know a lot about the game so I improvised and was as generic as possible. If anyone has asome specific sugesttions or changes that have to be made let me know and I can edit the post.
Synner
Thanks Shadow, that will do nicely. And that as they say is a wrap. I'll start off the February issue this weekend and begin editing this one into a print/handout version.
JongWK
There you go, a new one for February's edition. smile.gif
Req
I'm curious if the NSI would be into a "Billboard Top 10" or something of the sort, best-selling albums for the month or whatever? Making up band names is always fun. smile.gif
Shadow
Can we clean up the IC thread a little. How about eveyone go in and remove their signatures and make sure the heading is identical. If we get giant headings it really disrupts the flow of the paper. We should also try and keep our stories grouped in paragraphs and looking as much like a newspaper as possible.

Just my 2 nuyen.gif
JongWK
You mean the title size I used? It's standard for a newspaper.
Shadow
Yeah it is, but it isn't the same size as all the other reports. The size Synner asked us all to use. So when your reading it really breaks up the flow.

Again, just a sugestion.
Synner
I agree with Shadow on this. If possible keep to the standard format for ease of reading and disable sigs whenever you can (I know I keep forgetting to).
JongWK
Ok. Will do.

Edit: Done. Also changed the title to fit the one line style.
Synner
QUOTE (Req)
I'm curious if the NSI would be into a "Billboard Top 10" or something of the sort, best-selling albums for the month or whatever? Making up band names is always fun. smile.gif

Req - The printed edition of the NSI has always had some bonus features including Sim, Music and Ebook salescharts (as well as Sports results for the Seattle teams); feel free to PM or mail me suggestions or alternatively post here.
JongWK
Another one, this time from the NSI's agencies. devil.gif
Synner
BTW Shadow been meaning to ask you to revise the Urban Brawl result in the last post of Issue 1. Games rarely go over the 10 point mark and a more appropriate final result would be a 4-5 or a 4-6.
Shadow
Only if you tell me who is speaking in the quote:

"Did you really drop kick a rhino across the grand canyon?"

"No, but I did it with an old man who annoyed me."
Kanada Ten
eek.gif 898 words. Is that too much?

Anyway. I made a parallel monorail to the Ressah Maglev, not found in canon. But I did nuke it, so the maglev is the only one... again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012