Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternate Flaws Idea
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moonstone Spider
I saw somebody else presenting this idea on another forum and wondered what other people think.

His ideas for flaws is that you get no build points for taking a flaw. Instead, you get bonus karma every time your flaw impedes your progress, with more karma for more severe problems. Example:

Mr. Shank takes the flaw "Allergy, mild, sunlight." Under the normal system he'd get two build points. Munchkin bob takes "Allergy, Extreme, Dust from Halley's comet." Under the normal system Munchkin Bob would either get 5 build points or else get slapped with a trout and them proceed to whine and mope about the mean GM that won't let him play the flaw he wants.

Under the new system, whenever Mr. Shank has to go outside and deal with sunlight during a run, he gets an extra karma point for that run. Since Munchkin bob never runs into halley's comet, he gets nothing. On the off chance that they do, of course, he'd get more karma than Mr. Shank since his allergy is more severe, but he will run into halley's comet so rarely Mr. Shank's more common allergy will net more Karma.

I see tons of benefits here. Blindness, for instance, would be viable for a street samurai. Since it's so debilitating for a gunbunny he would probably get a per-battle karma bonus instead of per-run, and if he decided it was just too much and got cybereyes good news, instead of a fight over it he just never collects any Karma again for blindness.
Herald of Verjigorm
One detail: your flaw math is off, unless sunlight is a rarity and haley's comet dust is everywhere. Sunlight may be a 3 point, and comet dust will be 4.

As for the idea, it has merit, but will probably just lead to a lot of munchkinny PCs with mild allergies and phobias who arrange their legwork to make one of them useless at each stage, thus netting extra karma. The only balancing factor in suc a pattern would be the "kill the weak and loot them" impulse that each of the munchkinny PCs would have to resist to actually get anything done.
Deadeye
Hmmph. Interesting idea. In theory I like it, and my gut reaction is pretty much the same. I'm going to have to think on it some more and try to punch holes in it. So far, though, I dig it.
Wounded Ronin
I think that getting a lot of karma is far more potent than abusing Edges and Flaws. Too much karma dice really makes the game stop being fun. No one cares too much if you took 20 points of High Pain Tolerance. But few things are more frustrating than the karmic invulnerability brigade.
Toxic_Waste
It would stop (some) character building munchkinism, but then you'd have a whole new class : the "in-game munchkin", who deliberately goes out into the sunlight, even if he has no reason to do so. Except to gain extra karma.
Wounded Ronin
I can see it now. I take an allergy (mild) to krill bars.

Then on my inventory sheet I put down 100 krill bars.

I stuff my pockets with them every time I go out. Whenever I have a peaceful moment, I eat one to get a point of karma.

Anyway, someone getting 6s for all their attributes because they abused Hung Out To Dry is such a miniscule problem compared to the issue of building up a lot of karma. Personally, I literally stop having fun when the PCs get too much karma.
Moonstone Spider
Actually I can't see how the Krill Bar or deliberate sunlight munchkin could work. After all, the flaw only counts if you've had to deal with it in-game. Just as blindness would only count as a flaw if you had a modifier on a test because you were blind, krill-bars would only count as a flaw if it wound up giving you a posititve modifier on a test at some point, not because you deliberately ate krill-bars and it had no real effect.
Herald of Verjigorm
Simple. Each run, let the combat munchkin eat a krill bar while trying to negotiate something. After he pitifully fails, the social munchkin deals with the pathetic +2 TN modifier resulting in a test of only 19 dice vs. a 3 instead of the optimal. During the fights, the social munchkin chows on a bar and shoots wildly in the general direction of the enemy.
Ol' Scratch
Considering you can only take five edges and five flaws whose total doesn't exceed +/-6 Build Points, I really don't see the problem... especially if it's in a game run by a real GM (as opposed to a wimp who can't say "no"). As others have already pointed out, this karma house rule bit is way more abusable.

Honestly, I've never understood why so many people seem to whine about them. I love seeing flaws on a character sheet, and I love taking them. They add a lot of life and color to a character. Ditto for edges.
Moonstone Spider
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Simple. Each run, let the combat munchkin eat a krill bar while trying to negotiate something. After he pitifully fails, the social munchkin deals with the pathetic +2 TN modifier resulting in a test of only 19 dice vs. a 3 instead of the optimal. During the fights, the social munchkin chows on a bar and shoots wildly in the general direction of the enemy.

Interesting, interesting.

So in your games you allow somebody else to show up and negotiate after a deal is closed? I've never heard of such a thing. Mr. Johnson is really going to agree, after 20 minutes of haggling and managing to get the runners to agree to a price of 50 nuyen each, to renegotiate with the adept?

As for combat, that +2 will be applying to all the tests. Oh darn, your face's TN for a dodge test just went from a 4 to a 6. Good luck dodging a shot that has more than 2 successes behind it, and pray nobody fires a burst or full-auto fire giving you and even higher modifier.

And let's look at the long-term effects of this "Munchkinning." At the end of the run, face and samurai get 1 bonus karma each. Most people suggest build-points are equal to 5-10 karma. Given the +2-3 value for a mild allergy, your players are looking at 10-30 runs before they make up the karma value they could have gotten on their skills and atributes right from the start. How horrifying. Why, after a measly 20 successful runs your elven face is going to have a whole extra karma pool die!
Herald of Verjigorm
First, I never said the gun-abomination should be negotiating the pay, just have him try to buy something military grade each time. Actually, have him try to buy many military grade things, then let the adept of social omnipotence call in half an hour later for whichever of those items are actually useful.

For dodge, no competant non-combat munchkin would let themselves be in a position where dodging is neccessary. Blindly firing can include a 3 inch mirror, and a non-standard grip extension so that the weapon is in a firing position, with horrible TN modifiers, while the socialite is fully hidden by the arlmor 47 drone that the rigger munchkin lets him cower in (in exchange for getting all the drones for a total cost of 300 nuyen).
Ol' Scratch
Note that this would be a more desireable abuse for karma whores like magicians rather than mundanes. Likewise, there are plenty of flaws that can be used on a run that have no bearing on the success or failure of the actual run itself. Computer Illiterate while using a pocket secretary or transciever, Incompetence (English) whenever you talk to someone, Oblivious (compensated for with implants or powers) whenever you make a Perception Test, etc.
Moonstone Spider
Ah, I see. That's a remarkably strange set of scenarios, however. For instance, what is the contact going to think of such behavior? Mightn't the contact wonder if there isn't a major run on these items since he's getting twice as many calls from the team, raising prices?

Yes, that's not a standard rule. I don't recall rules for 3 inch mirrors and nonstandard grip extensions either. In fact the rules clearly say if you've got 100% cover, you cannot fire at the enemy.

In my experience plenty of non-combat characters need to dodge. In fact unless you've got plenty of body dodging is all you can do to survive many attacks.

Lastly you haven't answered my point about how little karma they will actually be getting in these farfetched scenarios, in comparision with what you'd normally get for the run.
Kagetenshi
If the characters are the only people buying, then yeah, he's going to be getting twice as many calls.

He's also going to be out of business. Same if he learns about runs on items by watching a single customer's patterns.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
You ask for ways it can be abused (otherwise, no benefit of posting an idea here), then you blatantly state that a simple method, made with little analysis of the possibilities is inconsequential because they are not getting double the normal karma each run. We haven't even approached the full amnesia cyber-beast who gets 8 extra karma every run because someone asked what is name is, or where he was last Thursday, or if he knew how to hotwire a car.
Kagetenshi
Or a paraplegic, who would by this system be racking up extra karma every time it would be useful for them to be able to walk.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
Mage type with spirit bane: watchers. 2 karma every time it tries to give orders to a watcher spirit, and the mage will always have to fall back on some other type of spirit to actually do the work (often a type that is actually capable of doing the work).
Ol' Scratch
Actually, no, the Watcher will still do its command. They're too stupid to even try and scheme.
Herald of Verjigorm
They'll do it even more poorly than usual, almost always resulting in failure and the need to use a spirit that actually has attributes.
Ol' Scratch
What? Even Force 1 watchers have attributes. Spirit Bane represents other spirits you encounter anyway and has no bearing on any services of spirits under your direct (and iron fisted, which is probably why they hate you) control. Now if you ask it to do a favor as opposed to using a service (which watchers don't have; all commands are effectively services), they'll probably decline. But that's about the extent of the flaw.
Moonstone Spider
Herald, when I asked for ways to circumvent the system I was hoping for something a bit more realistic than some insane plan to rig rube goldberg devices of mirrors, sticks, and drones. Anybody who can seriously set up something like that and still fire at least once before the gunbunny has already killed all the enemies (Or else is dead in which case it's a shame you're going to die now too without him) deserves some karma.

I would also note, Herald, that you'e completely misread the nature of the flaw system by claiming a karma bonus for every time the flaw appears rather than once per run. I suggested that if a flaw is very debilitating, such as a gunbunny who seriously tries to fight while blind, then it might counter for each battle but normal flaws would be on a per-run basis. Nowhere did I even suggest a per-event basis as you'd have us believe with your watcher spirit trick.
Herald of Verjigorm
Watchers don't have an attribute list (in contrast to all other recorded types of spirits), just a force. Unless I've been missing a page in MitS all this time.

On re-rereading the flaw, yes it says nothing about messing with conjured spirits of your own command. So the only danger is that when other mages use the watcher swarm, they will all be trying to hit the specific mage. That's only really a danger if he's astrally active at the time, and even then a stunball will fry them. There's also the completely house-ruled danger from the force 6 great form free watcher, but that's almost as blatant as OBB.
Ol' Scratch
MitS p. 101, Characteristics of Watchers: A watcher's Attribute Ratings are equal to its Force.

I'm greatly saddened that you actually had to have that pointed out to you. It's a default "duh" for all spirits, and stat blocks only apply when they materialize since, while astral, their Physical Attributes are equal to their Mental Attributes just like anyone else.
Stumps
Nice idea.
Wrong game.

This would work better if it were in AD&D, but this is SR where Karma pulls MAJOR weight and a run is dealt with 4 Good Karma as an average, "you did alright", and my old GM really only dealt out 1 Karma for every 10 Good Karma that we got (that was his way of tallying it up).

Under this rule, I would be a mage and take as many flaws as I could that were extreme that could get in my way during magical acts, then I would rake in the extra Karma that I would get way ahead of the time I'd reach 10 Good Karma that I would normaly have to reach to get my 1 Karma point.

I'd have around 6 Karma for each run easy under this rule, and do believe that I could do it easily.
There are magical flaws.

Let's say each session of play we only did one run.
Each week we only did one session
(about my old groups average actually)
If I got 4 Good Karma per run, it would take me 3 runs to get 1 Karma point
That would be 3 weeks.

In three weeks with this rule, having my mage guy with 6 extreme flaws for magic, I could earn 6 Karma for each run.
If I got 6 Karma for each run, plus my 1 Karma for every 10 Good karma (as my old group did it) then I would have 19 Karma after my 3rd run in three weeks.

Hell, I wouldn't even take edges as a mage if this rule were used. I could make up for my flaws with Karma points.

Ubermuncher, AWAY!
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
Ah, I see. That's a remarkably strange set of scenarios, however. For instance, what is the contact going to think of such behavior? Mightn't the contact wonder if there isn't a major run on these items since he's getting twice as many calls from the team, raising prices?

Yes, that's not a standard rule. I don't recall rules for 3 inch mirrors and nonstandard grip extensions either. In fact the rules clearly say if you've got 100% cover, you cannot fire at the enemy.

In my experience plenty of non-combat characters need to dodge. In fact unless you've got plenty of body dodging is all you can do to survive many attacks.

Lastly you haven't answered my point about how little karma they will actually be getting in these farfetched scenarios, in comparision with what you'd normally get for the run.

Firstly, if you *know* you are combat incapable, especially after breaking out in hives since you just ate a krill bar, I think you would use this nifty thing called full cover. Like, lie and cower on the floor of the car and toss the odd flashbang out a window from a position of full cover so that technically you are participating in combat. You wouldn't be effective, but as long as the party has flare comp you'd still just be cashing in on extra karma without being destructive.

Secondly, you obviously can fire at the enemy if you have 100% cover because there are rules for firing through and blind fire. If I try to shoot through a wall at you and neither of us can see each other at all, that's clearly a situation where we both have 100% cover from the other. Similarly, the rules never say you can't just blindly lob grenades in the general suspected direction of enemies. In fact, that's one use for them in real life. You can bank them around corners or toss them through windows to avoid exposing yourself. Use flashbangs or something pointless if you don't want the +2 TN to make you accidentally kill the party.

Thirdly, I already think that karma dice can become too powerful. Even one more karma dice is a pretty big asset. The last thing I want to do is add an extra rule that speeds up the rate at which people acquire karma dice, even if it is a marginal increase.

toturi
I think most people around here have already pointed out the more obvious flaws of your Flaw system. So I'll just put in some observations: your rule is not solving the problem at the root. Unless somehow you are going to say,"This is how I run my games and and creativity that doesn't match my idea of the game universe is not going to work, any evil ideas except mine aren't going to succeed," I don't see how you are going to solve the problem with your house rule.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider @ Nov 19 2004, 05:01 PM)

I would also note, Herald, that you'e completely misread the nature of the flaw system by claiming a karma bonus for every time the flaw appears rather than once per run.  I suggested that if a flaw is very debilitating, such as a gunbunny who seriously tries to fight while blind, then it might counter for each battle but normal flaws would be on a per-run basis.  Nowhere did I even suggest a per-event basis as you'd have us believe with your watcher spirit trick.

That's great. So I can't pump 1 flaw 3 times, but I can pump 3 flaws one time each every single session.

Personally, when I GM these days, each adventure usually takes exactly 1 session to complete. I used to have long story arcs but found those less flexible than neat 1 session adventures.

So if someone GMs like me, then that would result in getting several extra karma points per game, effectively doubling or possibly even tripling the karma reap from each session.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (toturi @ Nov 19 2004, 06:34 PM)
I think most people around here have already pointed out the more obvious flaws of your Flaw system. So I'll just put in some observations: your rule is not solving the problem at the root. Unless somehow you are going to say,"This is how I run my games and and creativity that doesn't match my idea of the game universe is not going to work, any evil ideas except mine aren't going to succeed," I don't see how you are going to solve the problem with your house rule.

Exactly. This is exactly it. You're effectively saying, "No one can get karma from this house rule unless they think exactly like I do. Unless they go about trying to get the karma in a me-approved way, I'll tell them that what they did retrospectively didn't count. Because I want to make sure everyone has fun, and people like being told their ideas don't count."

Because if you don't say that, this house rule wouldn't be effective anyway.
toturi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Exactly. This is exactly it. You're effectively saying, "No one can get karma from this house rule unless they think exactly like I do. Unless they go about trying to get the karma in a me-approved way, I'll tell them that what they did retrospectively didn't count. Because I want to make sure everyone has fun, and people like being told their ideas don't count."

Because if you don't say that, this house rule wouldn't be effective anyway.

And when you do that, you are not running an RPG, you are writing a novel.
Stumps
Moonstone Spider:

I really am not attacking you here but you need to hear this.

When making a rule, if you find yourself defending the validity of the rule based on whether a player would do something rather than if they can(according to rules) do something, then your rule is broken.

No one can make a rule that counts on players acting a certain way. Players will act as they want. It's an RPG. You can't expect anyone to just simply not do something. You have to make rules with the objective eye looking at it with the intent of abusing it to make sure that it can't be or to minimize it's ability to be abused.

saying things like
So in your games you allow somebody else to...

Ah, I see. That's a remarkably strange set of scenarios, however....

For instance, what is the contact going to think of such behavior?

Things like that are asking the players and GM to keep the rule in check from being off balance rather than making sure the rule isn't off balance first.

No one is saying an alternative to the present flaw point system is a bad idea.
And no one is really saying that changing it to Karma rewards is a bad thing either.
What they are saying, however, is that they present way that the rule is written is not going to work.
They are telling you that it needs to be revised.

Don't get upset. Just go back and re-hash it out again into a new version and toss it back out here.

I'm assuming that if you post a rule here that you are asking for opinions on it's functionality and strength if employed into the system.
In doing so, you are asking people to tell you if you need to re-work the rule.
They have basically, in a very loud continual voice, said "yes, you need to re-work this rule."
So go re-work it, then bring it back. Don't get hurt about it. Just try and find a way that it does what you are aiming for it to do and also appeases the population that you care about appeasing with it.

And if you don't care about appeasing the DSF population, then you really shouldn't post it here for review unless you just want to argue pointlessly about it because the DSF population is among a collection of some of the most hard-headed people known to the internet, so I'll just hope that you actually want their opinions and are trying to target the DSF population for this rule rather than an alternative that makes you seem silly to me for just posting so you can argue with a bunch of stuborn people.

I'm sure you can find a way to re-work the rule, so go back, look at it again. Re-work it as I'm sure you will be able to do, and bring it back.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider @ Nov 19 2004, 05:01 PM)
Herald, when I asked for ways to circumvent the system I was hoping for something a bit more realistic than some insane plan to rig rube goldberg devices of mirrors, sticks, and drones.  Anybody who can seriously set up something like that and still fire at least once before the gunbunny has already killed all the enemies (Or else is dead in which case it's a shame you're going to die now too without him) deserves some karma.

While the mirror idea is silly, it is quite possible to get the same effects much more reliably using a guncam with a datajack port and an image link. The US army is experimenting with that very system now, although with an LCD monocle instead of cyber implants. You can accurately shoot around corners exposing nothing but your hand, that's not 100% cover, but 99% is close enough.
I'm suprised such a system isn't used more often in Shadowrun.
tisoz
This rule reminds me of a rule from 7th Sea. You pay some points at character creation to be able to take a flaw (game hook.) When it comes into play in game you get points.
Mercer
If the argument is: Players will abuse blatantly abuse flaws at character creation vs. Players will blatantly abuse flaws to get more karma during play, then the problem isn't which system you use, its that the players are blatantly abusing it. Its generally easier to fix the problem at the player end than it is at the rule end.
Wounded Ronin
Or at least, don't claim to have invented a rule that "eliminates" munchkining when it clearly is anything but a watertight rule.
Modesitt
Cthulu highly approves of any rule that encourages you to screw your fellow players over.

Face: "...Ok, everyone, I'm going to try to negotiate them up. I do all of the talking. You guys just sit there and pass any questions to me on slips of paper."
Munchkin: "No! Let me negotiate!"
Face: "The hell? I'm the face! I have 6 Negotiation, assloads of edges, and you have no negotiation and Uncouth! I'm negotiating!"
Munchkin: "But I took Uncouth! I need to try to negotiate for us to get my karma!"
Face: *BANG*
Mercer
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Or at least, don't claim to have invented a rule that "eliminates" munchkining when it clearly is anything but a watertight rule.

Not to be contrary, but I doubt anoy of us will live to see the day when anyone publishes "munchkin-proof" rules.
Crusher Bob
I seem to recall a Mr. Newton publishing some pretty good rules a while back...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
I seem to recall a Mr. Newton publishing some pretty good rules a while back...

They're good, but they're certainly not munchkin proof. If just requires some heavy number-crunching. If you use recent eratta and SOTA you can do some things that are downright insane. Although, Newton wasn't involved with the additions they're still canon.
Kagetenshi
Damn, there are loopholes in that stuff a mile wide. If you can get to the speed of light you can get infinite mass, and if you stand near a wall you've got a chance of suddenly being on the other side of the wall. If you throw out the supplements, you can't use the nuclear weapons expansion.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012