Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral ammo
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Toxic_Waste
There just seems to be something wrong with having the astral affect the physical and not the other way around.

Since we know there are several physical items that affect the astral, from that funky plant that block out astral bodies to magic weapons, there must be a way to create astral ammo. Disrupting an astral presence can be achieve with a enchanted weapon, why not with ammo?

Assuming the astral body is indeed a "body", magically active items should damage it. Ruling out flat out enchanting bullets, can anyone come up with a way to make bullets astrally active?

ES_Riddle
If you're playing in third ed, the astral can't affect the physical (except for dual-natured beings). From what I've gathered it only could in limited situations in earlier editions, too.
Ol' Scratch
What do you mean? Anything purely astral is exactly that; mundanes are completely safe from them. Even astrally projecting magicians have no way to affect the physical world unless they possess someone, order a previously summoned spirit to materialize and do their bidding, or other tactics along those lines.
Toxic_Waste
Spirits was what I had in mind, yes. They smack around even the most tooled up sammy, leaving you at the mercy of the team's mage. Who may or may not be competent.

Astral perception would be a must to pull any of this off, of course. Which rules out sammies. Still...
Ol' Scratch
If the spirit is smacking you around, it's materialized. You can attack them just fine, assuming you get past their armor.
Toxic_Waste
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
If the spirit is smacking you around, it's materialized. You can attack them just fine, assuming you get past their armor.

Which you can't, unless you're packing a Panther around. So, shoot them before they materialize. There must be a workaround...
Ol' Scratch
A Shotgun with EX Explosive ammo will take down any spirit up to Force 5. If you're up against Force 6 or higher, you're fighting some kind of serious magical opposition, so you're stupid to go in without a mage or two with you to back you up. And even in those cases, you can attack them with your Charisma and Willpower... you'll probably fail if you're a munchkiny-type of sammy, but it's still an option.

Failing that, get a weapon with an elemental effect. A shotgun with rocksalt, a laser pistol, a taser, and a water cannon all punch right through a spirit's Immunity to Normal Weapons even if they're an elemental of that type.
Shockwave_IIc
Yeah be a real determined SOAB with a curtain rail.....

Or strength 8 with dual Spurs...
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Toxic_Waste)
There must be a workaround...

Engage them in melee. Even if your Willpower is an unimpressive 4, using a weapon that grants a reach bonus can ruin a force 6 spirit's day (with reach 2), or at least provide an even playing field (with reach 1).
Apathy
Which you can't, unless you're packing a Panther around

The AZ-150 Stun Baton is only availability 3, and 1500 nuyen.gif ; every runner should have one. It does 8S electrical damage and gives +1 reach, enabling any street sam the ability to go toe to toe with a Force 7 spirit (which is the most any starting mage can conjure without giving himself physical damage).

Alternatively, anyone with decent willpower and charisma scores can whack them in a contest of wills.

[edit] and munchy sams often have insanely high strength. Coupled with a spear (+4L damage, +2 Reach) they can pop any spirit even a high-level initiate could come up with.
Toxic_Waste
Or both. How about some dikoted spurs, lightly sautéed with alcohol and lit? Some fire proof gloves, similar to an old wolverine uniform...

Would that be considered elemental damage? The blades are on fire... grinbig.gif
mfb
the fire would be elemental damage, yes. not the blades.
Apathy
varies based on GM; I'd probably say no. The most damage that your rubbing alcohol fire is doing is maybe 2L, but you could roll that as a separate damage code.

Effective mundane attacks vs spirits:
  • attacks with high power level (spears on strong chars, etc)
  • fire extinguishers/water cannons
  • flamethrowers/incindery grenades/molotov cocktails
  • tasers/stun batons
  • blast effects (explosives or grenades; subject to GM approval)
  • Lasers
  • Contests of will
  • attack the conjurer
I like the last one the best. Take the mage guarded by a full complement of elementals; if he goes unconscious, odds are at least one of the spirits will kill him themselves.

[edit] ... can't believe I forgot FAB! If you want to make a rules change that hoses mages, just decrease the cost and availability of FAB Strain 3. Have security teams walking around with aerosol cans of the stuff.
Shockwave_IIc
I personally believe strain 3 is WAY too dangerous for that kind of use......
JavaLamp
Toxic, what you need is dual natured ammunition! just get some of this dual natured organic stuff, give it enough nutrients to last a bit inside a bullet until you shoot it!
vagranttimelord
One thing I would like to state is that elemental effects do not completely get around the Immunity to normal weapons they only half the "armor rating" the power provides.... a force 6 spirit would still have 6 ballistic and impact armor....considered hardened.
Ancient History
Well, provided you come across an astral construct of a gun and astral construct of a bullet that said gun can fire, you could conceivably kill a magician's astral form.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
A shotgun with rocksalt

o really?

more info plz kthnx
tjn
QUOTE (Javalamp)
Toxic, what you need is dual natured ammunition! just get some of this dual natured organic stuff, give it enough nutrients to last a bit inside a bullet until you shoot it!

The Astral Plane does not follow Newtonian physics. There is no momentum, no inertia, no equal and opposite reaction. If two astral objects collide in the astral, they do no damage to each other no matter how fast the speed of thought is.

About the best yer gonna do, is somehow force a dual natured object into Astral Combat an unmanifested spirit. But enless the bullet's force is anywhere near the spirit's, the spirit is just going to slap it away like it was a gnat. And then get angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.
Apathy
One thing I would like to state is that elemental effects do not completely get around the Immunity to normal weapons they only half the "armor rating" the power provides.... a force 6 spirit would still have 6 ballistic and impact armor....considered hardened.

But is then still vulnerable to an 8S electrical shock, and if your GM allows you to use staging on these effects (varies by GM) then you can raise the power of the damage code once it stages to deadly. Even without staging up the power, the spirit would have to get 6 successes on a Body(2) soak test to eliminate the base damage, and on average a spirit with 6 dice will only get 5 successes. It's not real efficient, but can work in a pinch.

Toxic_Waste
QUOTE (tjn)
The Astral Plane does not follow Newtonian physics. There is no momentum, no inertia, no equal and opposite reaction. If two astral objects collide in the astral, they do no damage to each other no matter how fast the speed of thought is.

About the best yer gonna do, is somehow force a dual natured object into Astral Combat an unmanifested spirit. But enless the bullet's force is anywhere near the spirit's, the spirit is just going to slap it away like it was a gnat. And then get angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

Well...which is it then? Two astral objects can collide in the astral without damage to each other, but a dual natured objected CAN damage an unmanifested spirit? 2 astrals can, or 2 astrals can't?

Well, assuming burst or full auto, unless it's a force 14 spirit I'm sure I could drill some holes in him... Now all that is needed is the ammo.

Couldn't a FAB derivative be used? Just a light coating of microbes or whatnot over the bullets, to make them "alive"? The whole "astral disruption" bit is what's got me stumped... not enough information.

PS: I don't like him when he's happy either nyahnyah.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
Astral combat can be forced, but usually requires the one forcing it to be living. The example in the books is a dual natured person in an elevator, the ward remains stationary, while the person is forced into a conflict with it by the movement of the elevator pushing him through the ward.

Against spirits, you need the entity to be cornered between multiple ward equivalent items so that they cannot simply side-step the slow moving projectile.
DrJest
Having been the GM for one player who went toe-to-toe with a spirit armed with nothing else but a cougar fineblade and a whole mess of attitude (it slices, it dices, it mooshes, it squooshes - truly a dream machine!) and played alongside another who killed a truly impressive fire elemental with his compound bow, I tend to think that getting a mage to banish a spirit is actually the painful way of doing it.
BitBasher
Well, assuming burst or full auto, unless it's a force 14 spirit I'm sure I could drill some holes in him... Now all that is needed is the ammo.
Does burst or full auto even work for penetrating Immunity to Normal Weapons?
tjn
QUOTE (Toxic_Waste)
Well...which is it then? Two astral objects can collide in the astral without damage to each other, but a dual natured objected CAN damage an unmanifested spirit? 2 astrals can, or 2 astrals can't?

Your assumption that Astral Combat and two astral objects colliding are the same thing is incorrect. Things can bump into each other without initating Astral Combat, but Astral Combat is only used when a) an entity chooses to engage or b) when it is forced to (see Herald's post).

Second mistake is assuming the power of the ammo has any relevance to the Astral Combat. Only the force of the material matters. Burst or Autofire doesn't matter one whit.

Couldn't a FAB derivative be used? Just a light coating of microbes or whatnot over the bullets, to make them "alive"? The whole "astral disruption" bit is what's got me stumped... not enough information.

Strain 1 FAB isn't dual natured. Strain 2 FAB has no effect on astral forms in it's airborne form other then preventing Fast Movement and giving a +2 perception modifier. Strain 3... well, it kills Astral entities fine on it's own.

So what's left? Gaurdian vines can't be uprooted. Biofiber is grown in large, flat sheets which is non-condusive to making into a bullet (remember they have to stay alive to stay dual natured, and the fact that MitS repeatedly hits the reader over the head with how fragile they are).

So... Strain 2, in a nutrient suspension housed in a capsule round is quite likely the best bet.

But the availability on the suckers is 12/2 weeks for a force 6 (which is strong enough to have a good shot) or 20/2 weeks to have the best shot possible.

And given the fact you'd only get one "encased nutrient colony" per roll, it would take anyone but the uber-face some time to acquire a clip.

So, we have our capsule round full of FAB-2 that took some doing to get, and not only do we have to hit the target (and without Astral Perception, yer firing blind with a +8 to hit), but the unmanifested spirit has to be unable to dodge the incoming projectile (through wards, aerosol FAB-2, or something).

And then, after all that work, the spirit could still beat the FAB in Astral Combat.
Arethusa
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Does burst or full auto even work for penetrating Immunity to Normal Weapons?

I'm pretty certain it's power unmodified by automatic fire.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Nov 19 2004, 07:46 PM)
A shotgun with rocksalt

o really?

more info plz kthnx

Rock salt could be considered an "Earth" attack attack and is in that case an elemental attack. It sounds feasible since an elemental attack is only thus IF the material is PURE.

By "pure" I mean a natural non--refined material like wodden stakes/arrows, rock salt etc. The problem all this makes is what exactly constitutes as an elemental attack?

For example, big D's temper shells create a fiery effect, incendiary grenades, even tracer rounds contains flammable material, not to mention shock gloves. What if you add a small piece of wood to the tip of a bullet? Would it be concidered natural?

Bottom line, many good ideas but too me it feels a little like a can of worms.

talker.gif talker.gif talker.gif
John Campbell
QUOTE (tjn)

So... Strain 2, in a nutrient suspension housed in a capsule round is quite likely the best bet.

But the availability on the suckers is 12/2 weeks for a force 6 (which is strong enough to have a good shot) or 20/2 weeks to have the best shot possible.

And given the fact you'd only get one "encased nutrient colony" per roll, it would take anyone but the uber-face some time to acquire a clip.

So, we have our capsule round full of FAB-2 that took some doing to get, and not only do we have to hit the target (and without Astral Perception, yer firing blind with a +8 to hit), but the unmanifested spirit has to be unable to dodge the incoming projectile (through wards, aerosol FAB-2, or something).

And then, after all that work, the spirit could still beat the FAB in Astral Combat.

And within those same use restrictions, it'd be much faster, cheaper, and easier to simply get your friendly neighborhood mage to put some wards on bullets for you.
Fortune
QUOTE (DrJest)
Having been the GM for one player who went toe-to-toe with a spirit armed with nothing else but a cougar fineblade and a whole mess of attitude (it slices, it dices, it mooshes, it squooshes - truly a dream machine!) and played alongside another who killed a truly impressive fire elemental with his compound bow, I tend to think that getting a mage to banish a spirit is actually the painful way of doing it.

Who said anything about Banishing? A well placed Manabolt, or even Stunbolt usually does the trick in getting rid of Spirits. For that pesky horde, there is always Spiritblast. At least two of these are staples in almost any mage or shaman's repertoire.

Banishing sucks! Banishing bad! Say NO to Banishing!
Edward
Theoretically you could produce an astray active bullet.

There are 2 ways to do this.

Enchant it (bad idea as it would be a material link to you)

Build it out of something astraly active (or make it hollow and fill with same).

I did once have a character toy with using a large calibre round with a large hollow point packed with bio fibre or FAB 2. His experiments didn’t get very far because he discovered enchanting and lost interest. Obviously the shelf life would be limited because the bio mater won’t live long packed into a bullet.

I’m not certain wether such a round would bypass a spirits immunity to normal weapons. I would think it would.

Can you put a ward on a bullet. I thought that would not be possible. Also it leaves his astral imprint all over your murder weapon so I wouldn’t be in a big hury to make them if I could

Edward
Ol' Scratch
FAB-2 (and anything else along those lines) lives just as long in a bullet as it does in any other container. It has the same ratio of nutrients relative to the amount of bacteria whether it's a thimble or a vat.
hyzmarca
Enchanting won't work because the bullet has to be in physical contact with with a living person to be astraly active, perferably one who has bonded it.

Although, you could use monowire tether subsonic bullets to a gun and enchant the whole thing. You'd just have to re-enchant every time you reload.
Stumps
Just have your Cleric bless your bullets.

What?...huh?...speak up...oh. Really? But I thought...no?. Well...damn.

Sorry, wrong game. I was thinking of AD&D again.
DrJest
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Nov 20 2004, 12:20 AM)
FAB-2 (and anything else along those lines) lives just as long in a bullet as it does in any other container.  It has the same ratio of nutrients relative to the amount of bacteria whether it's a thimble or a vat.

Images of Underworld pop into my head for some reason...

Whilst I'm not sure I personally would go down this route at this point, I can see something along these lines becoming a R&D priority as the mana levels continue to rise and the Second Scourge becomes an issue and the need for magical solutions useable by mundane agents grows. Hmm... perhaps I ought to look at this if I ever run my Second Scourge campaign again.

EDIT: I just had a thought - what about the Ares Squirt II, or the Cascade Rifle? Or better yet the ELD-AR? (Corporate Security Handbook pp. 67-69) Both of these are custom-designed liquid delivery weapons, perfect for slapping something with FAB.

EDIT (again): I can't believe I forgot this one - the Bacteritech FAB-NG netgun (Corporate Security Handbook p. 70).
Cochise
QUOTE (Arethusa)

And I'm pretty sure that that's only what the FAQ says. The text of immunity uses the wording "power of the attack" ... which includes PN rise due to bursts or full-auto. It even includes ammospecific rises of PN, but the power alos says that all forms of armor piercing ammo are treated as being "standard" against this power. It's up to you which ammotypes you like to consider as "armor piercing", since any rise of the PN for ammotypes can be considered as "armor piercing" within the abstract nature of the damage system ...
Edward
There are many ways to get FAB on something but it really doesn’t do you much good. If you can get the impact to occur at speed then you can damage the target rather than just slowing it down for a moment.

Edward
DrJest
Hence the ELD-AR, which is basically a paintball rifle capable of full-auto fire smile.gif
Apathy
(Arethusa)

And I'm pretty sure that that's only what the FAQ says. The text of immunity uses the wording "power of the attack" ... which includes PN rise due to bursts or full-auto. It even includes ammospecific rises of PN, but the power alos says that all forms of armor piercing ammo are treated as being "standard" against this power. It's up to you which ammotypes you like to consider as "armor piercing", since any rise of the PN for ammotypes can be considered as "armor piercing" within the abstract nature of the damage system ...

When SR3 explains hardened armor, it specifically states that the power comparison is calculated before staging due to autofire or successes. Is there any precedent to think that comparing power to immunity is any different?
Ol' Scratch
Immunity to Normal Weapons is never described as hardened armor. In fact, Hardened Armor is a completely differen power, and it specifically mentions "unmodified by burst fire or anything else" whereas Immunity does not.
Cochise
QUOTE (Apathy)
When SR3 explains hardened armor, it specifically states that the power comparison is calculated before staging due to autofire or successes. Is there any precedent to think that comparing power to immunity is any different?

The fact that it has a different wording?

There are two types of armor that are discribed as "hardened"

1. MilSpec Armor
2. the Critter Power "Hardened Armor" (which happens to exist as a seperate entry!)

Both explicitly state that the base power of the attack has to exceed the hardened armor rating in order to take effect.
The immunity power however only references "power of the attack". The power of an attack however consists of base power + burst mods ... And as Doc F correctly said: The immunity power nowhere uses the term "hardened".
So although this power shares one property of hardened armor (no effect if the power doesn't exceed it's rating) it's still not "hardened armor" in game terms. It's just what it's called: Immunity (normal weapons).

There's yet another form of armor that exibits "hardened" traits, but still is something different: Vehicle Armor. And even that armor type explicitly states that burst modifiers do not count.

So my my precedent is the fact that Immunity does not make such restrictions in its wording, the fact that "hardened armor" exists as a separate power and that another armor type that works like "hardened armor" also explicitly states that burst / full-auto modifiers don't count.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Edward)
Can you put a ward on a bullet. I thought that would not be possible.

I don't see why not. If your GM insists that the ward boundaries have to be a container of some sort (which isn't required by the rules), you can always use capsule rounds or the like.

Also it leaves his astral imprint all over your murder weapon so I wouldn’t be in a big hury to make them if I could

Forensics get interesting here, because, if you're shooting at a purely astral target (if you're not, why aren't you just using regular bullets?), the body, if there's one at all, probably won't be anywhere near where your bullet ends up. The ward may provide a nice trail back to the mage that created it, but in order to pick up that trail, any investigators may have to find the link between an unmarked corpse in one location and a bullet embedded in a wall on completely the other side of town...
Kanada Ten
Unless there is something restricting a purely astral target, a warded bullet will have no effect because it will not force an intersection. Instead the astral form will be pushed aside. Only if the astral barrier encircles the astral form, or if the form is restricted in some other way, will warded bullets (should your GM allow them) harm a purely astral target. And other than the total dumbness of them, they should be mildly effective against manifested spirits and dual natured beings at a minimum cost of 100¥ each or so.
KarmaInferno
Shove a dual-natured critter into a shotgun barrel. (devil rat? Some wierd hampster? Dunno.)

Hope it lives just long enough to impact the spirit.

biggrin.gif

Well, a furious demon rat will have the option of astrally attcking any spirit near its flight path. That one actually has potential. (it'll be suicidal, but does have potential)
KarmaInferno
Maybe use a modified net launcher so the bugger isn't killed by the initial launch.

Dose the rat with Hyper and you're good to go!

Plus, it lets you use the enraged rat at a distance to minimise danger to yourself!

Loading the gun would be a bitch, though.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
Loading the gun would be a bitch, though.

Narco-DMSO squirtgun, mage with stunbolt, and melee competant with a stun baton. The rat shouldn't be able to take out all three before it gets netted.

Once you have one (deeply drugged), you can give it a teensy bit of cyberware that makes reloading easier. Remote controlled autoinjector. Or if you have too much money for your own good, 3 remote controlled (somehow) chemical glands.
Apathy
Shove a dual-natured critter into a shotgun barrel

Heavy duty slingshot, maybe? I love the image of some runner with an armored glove reaching into his sack of devil rats and slingshoting them at folks. Works for both mundanes and astrals, and is good clean fun for the whole family...
DarkShade
what is the speed of an astral entity in sr3? I seem to remember that it was magic rating x 1000 or something similar in sr2, way too fast to target with any bullets..

anyway, spirits are easy enough to kill, esp in sr3 where initiative has been nerfed, even the high power ones go down without posing too much trouble as long as you do your homework..

DS
Herald of Verjigorm
Anything up to Intelligence * 1000 kph. But there is a lower threshhold on speed with detail of your surroundings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012