Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: United Nations anyone?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Trashman
Ever since SR took a leap up the ladder and left the confines of Seattle (and the gruesome inside illustrations of 80s type rockers brandishing guitars and far too small guns, remember those?) it's been a question somewhere at the back of my head. Probably somewhere near the skillsoft slots...
Whatever happened to the United Nations?
It could be that they or the organization's demise were mentioned in passing somewhere or other.
But obviously, SR does not include Michael Moore's recent suggestion (Stupid White Men) that the UN should invade the US to save the people from the politicians.
So whatever happened to them?
Going back to 1st ed. SR material there is a lot to suggest they self-destructed sometime between 2011 and 2029. There's this sort-of pronounced anti-internationalist tone here and there...
Now, times have changed (just look at SR Companion and its entry on sex and gender!).

I don't want to suggest your local runner group try to blow that particular Tower in New York to smithereens or hunt down unarmed Indian UN observers during some Desert wars trial just for fun and relaxation.
This is more of a serious background question.
Could one include a functioning UN in SR? It might be better than today or it might be as bad as today. But surely a UN mission of peacemaking/peacekeeping appears a very interesting backdrop for the odd (no: very odd) overseas run.

Your thoughts?
L.D
The UN is alive and kicking. At least according to SoE. Although iirc it has changed a bit in shape and is sponsored by the corps.
Trashman
Sponsored by the corps???!!!

Blimey! Can't have that. Bad for the morale of the troops. Rather have them being sponsored by the Dragons...

Ah, well, another page to be torn out of that sourcebook... Two more queries and I will have nothing left but the cover of SoE... biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
They just keep it around to ease the pressure, like Tir and the Star Chamber. It's a convenient place to point at and say, "Leave your compliants with them."
Crimson Jack
Mmm, Star Chamber. Cool movie. Great shadowrun idea too. cool.gif
DrJest
Now wouldn't it be cool for there to be a covert movement within the UN dedicated to reigning in the excesses of the corps and actually providing a stable world government? Of course, they'd need plenty of black ops done... mucho shadowrunner fodder... or heck, even an alternative SR campaign type, similar to the government spook idea but truly international wink.gif
Kanada Ten
First you have to convience all the nations to actually give the UN some money... Then you have to axe all the corporate lackies... That just might be fun.
Synner
Ahem... Methinks someone needs to be muzzled.
Ol' Scratch
???

What?
Kanada Ten
I'm guessing either it's a freelancer warning to a n00b33 freelancer, or it's an IC comment. My vote is for the latter.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Shadowrun Timeline)
2005 - At 7:20 A.M. on August 12, In New York City, New York, U.S.A., the city is struck with a major earthquake that goes 5.8 on the Richter Scale. This results in over 200,000 deaths and 20 million dollars worth of damage. The only Manhattan building of any size that does not collapse is the Empire State Building. Effects of the quake are felt as far as Boston Massachusetts. As a result of the quake the East Coast Stock Exchange is moved to Boston and the United Nations is moved to Geneva. (Shadowrun Third Edition)

2005 - On December 10, in West Africa, several small earthquakes strike the region. As a result alluvial gold and diamond deposits are uncovered in the Black Volta river. Cote d’Ivoire president Karel Bettencourt tries to gain control of the new resources by seizing the entire river. Ghana’s president Duah Fosu, afraid of a full scale invasion, asks the United Nations for aid while building an army of his own. Both governments declare states of emergency and restrict all foreign aid shipments to “high priority” citizens. Starvation becomes commonplace in both nations. For the next two years border skirmishes and coups average once a month in both countries. (Cyberpirates)

2014 - The United Nations ceases operations in Libya. The territory is claimed by Egypt. (Target: Wastelands)

2039 - The United Nations passes its Declaration on Human Rights. (Shadowrun Second Edition)

2042 - The Munich Amendments are added to the Geneva Conventions by the United Nations. (Seattle Sourcebook)

2042 - The United Nations recognizes the Sasquatch species of North America and The Hsing -sing species of Japan as sentient races. (Shadowrun Third Edition)

2044 - The CAS is accepted into the United Nations. (Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America)

2045 - In Prague, Czech Republic, The United Nation Peac Conference is held, resulting in the signing of the New UN Charter. (Shadows of Europe)

2046 - In the Libyan desert, Egypt, two corporations get wind of a top-secret weapons lab that managed to avoid detection by both Israel and the United Nations.

These suggests that the UN is still alive and operating in at least some, fairly reduced, fashion.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I'm guessing either it's a freelancer warning to a n00b33 freelancer, or it's an IC comment.  My vote is for the latter.

Well the UN would make a good candidate for being covered in the forthcoming 'Loose Alliances' release so that's a possibility.
toturi
QUOTE (DrJest)
Now wouldn't it be cool for there to be a covert movement within the UN dedicated to reigning in the excesses of the corps and actually providing a stable world government? Of course, they'd need plenty of black ops done... mucho shadowrunner fodder... or heck, even an alternative SR campaign type, similar to the government spook idea but truly international wink.gif

Commission on Megacorporate Affairs.
DrJest
QUOTE (Synner)
Ahem... Methinks someone needs to be muzzled.

Erm... Did I maybe hit on something there, Syn? Or was it the Star Chamber comment from Kanada Ten?
Fortune
My guess on Synner's comment is that it was directed at L.D. biggrin.gif
L.D
Huh?
Fortune
Or not! biggrin.gif

I thought it might have been your comment on the Corps controlling the UN that lit a spark under Synner. smile.gif
L.D
Ah... but either it's in SoE or I'm psychic and can go to england and claim a million bucks! biggrin.gif
Synner
Answers in Loose Alliances. Though for the record L.D is correct, SoE introduces several aspects of the 2060's UN and suggests it's still around because the corps like it as a PR front and scapegoat. Nations have long since lost the idealism, political interest and money to keep it going by themselves. On the other hand sustainable development is actually a good way of developing future markets and (select) peacekeeping ensures there's enough stability for the markets to work.
lspahn72
QUOTE (Fortune)
Or not! biggrin.gif

I thought it might have been your comment on the Corps controlling the UN that lit a spark under Synner. smile.gif

Well, keeping recent as well as past events in light, the UN does not have a track record of being the most effective,competent, and honest organization in the world. I personally think the idea of a world body working out problems talking instead of blowing each other up is perfect, but its hard to believe that will happen at an organization that puts countries like libya in charge of Human Rights, although the rumors of the no confidence vote did encourage....Back to SR

I would hope that the current incarnation of the UN would have more influence with alot of new emerging countries looking for a say. With basically all of NA broken up, and no defined military superpower, the UN may have more pull than even now, especially with economic sanctions and the effect on a world that turn on money even more than the present day.

Trashman
That's about where I'm heading at, Ispahn.
Thanks, everybody so far (and gosh, I really need to look more often into all those sourcebooks!)

Now I only have to convince my group that wearing skyblue helmets on a nocturnal run is absolutely whiz... biggrin.gif
Cynic project
QUOTE (Synner)
Answers in Loose Alliances. Though for the record L.D is correct, SoE introduces several aspects of the 2060's UN and suggests it's still around because the corps like it as a PR front and scapegoat. Nations have long since lost the idealism, political interest and money to keep it going by themselves. On the other hand sustainable development is actually a good way of developing future markets and (select) peacekeeping ensures there's enough stability for the markets to work.

And when is that comming out?
Synner
Still to be determined. I'm hoping it'll be in my Christmas stocking though. Last I heard the book was in editing. It was one of two books slated for release at the tail end of 2004 according to the news from the What's Up With Shadowrun seminar at GenCon — though I think, with the glut of recent releases, either it or Running Wild might end up getting a 2005 date (note - that is not official just my unconfirmed opinion on the matter).
mmu1
I could see corporations and 6th world governments allowing an unelected bunch of thieving whores like the UN greater say over the lives of their citizens - it'd allow for greater control, and introduce a convenient layer of separation between those governments and whatever dirty work needed to be done.

However, the days of "guilt the 1st world nations into giving aid, waste some of it on poorly thought out programs and steal the rest" would quickly come to an end with corporations footing the bill.
DrJest
So I'm thinking you have some issues with the UN then? eek.gif
Trashman
Methinks, the mmu1 doth protest too much...
Crimsondude 2.0
Or just too vaguely.
mmu1
I work in HIV research, and our lab collaborates with various clinics and researchers in Africa. Let's just say watching first hand how some of the aid money we send there gets spent tends to make you a little bitter when certain organization screams for billions of dollars more in antiretroviral drugs.
lspahn72
QUOTE (mmu1)
I could see corporations and 6th world governments allowing an unelected bunch of thieving whores like the UN greater say over the lives of their citizens - it'd allow for greater control, and introduce a convenient layer of separation between those governments and whatever dirty work needed to be done.

Wow, and I was being as diplomatic as possible, but I think you sum it up better than me......
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (mmu1)

However, the days of "guilt the 1st world nations into giving aid, waste some of it on poorly thought out programs and steal the rest" would quickly come to an end with corporations footing the bill.

HEY! No politics on DSF! If you wanna argue international politics, the UN, and the World Bank, take it somewhere else.
Kagetenshi
Moreover, he's probably wrong. A donation to the UN looks good for PR, and it really doesn't much matter where the money goes after that (back to the corps being preferred, of course).

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Moreover, he's probably wrong. A donation to the UN looks good for PR, and it really doesn't much matter where the money goes after that (back to the corps being preferred, of course).

~J

You're probably right about the PR front, but the end result would be the same - donations stop (in practice).

Of course, the real reason I can't stand the UN is the way they mess up traffic on 1st avenue and the FDR... nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
Fair enough biggrin.gif

~J
jezryaldar
Mmm, Star Chamber. Cool movie. Great shadowrun idea too

Yes. In my game they are called the Cabal of Justice. Their main issue is financing since the corps really hold the keys to the big money. At this point, they are small time, recruiting ect. At some point, they will start to ...

Anyway... yes, I thought it was a good idea as well.
Demon_Bob
Is there any other information On the United Nations other than in the Shadowrun timeline or Shadows of Europe pg 176?
If the U.N. is based in Geneva Switzerland which is strongly anti-metahuman how does that affect Tir na nog and other such countries?
Backgammon
Holy 1 year old thread revival, batman!

Loose Alliances details the U.N. very well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012