Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anchoring question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Deamon_Knight
I've been reading over the Anchoring section in MitS, and it seems to specifically contradict the concept of "No Magic Projectiles" Made in sr3.

So I have a question: Is it conceiveable to enchant a bullet with a spell than is triggered by contact or bullet deformation? Magic Elixirs are given as an example with the Trigger of consupmtion, It seems reasonable that an expendable anchoring focus (a bullet) with a trigger of contact with blood, or bullet deformation on impact; with a spell like a touch stun version of deathtouch to reduce the drain.

Now, play it out like a professional sniper or hitman who likes to reload his bullets to exacting specifications.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggestion anyone actually allow this in their game; or that a player actually spend the 50+ karma on a magazine of such things, But I'm just wondering if I'm missing something in the rules here because is seems to fundamentally contradict the "No magic bullet" in SR3.
Ol' Scratch
Sure, it's possible with Anchoring. It's also a wholly stupid idea. You're basically giving your astral signature and a prime ritual material to the forensic investigators, all in exchange for a one-shot bullet that cost a fortune and drained a ton of Karma. What a bargain!
Austere Emancipator
You absolutely can do that. It's not particularly useful because of the high cost of Anchoring stuff on bullets and the relative difficulty of the Enchanting. [Edit]And the astral signature/ritual link Doctor Funkenstein mentioned.[/Edit]

Doesn't even have to be a Death Touch. I'd personally go with Manaball or Stunball, and use a sudden impact trigger -- contact with blood will get screwed if you're shooting at spirits/elements, the enemy is protected by heavy armor/spells or you just miss.
RedmondLarry
An anchoring focus is activated when it has the spell cast into it, even though the spell is not yet "ON". As an activated focus, it'll count toward Focus Addiction, and a magazine of them even worse.

Nice idea, Deamon.
Deamon_Knight
ahh, Focus Addiction. The silent killer.
Ol' Scratch
Sorry for sounding bitter earlier. I honestly didn't mean to.

There's lots of things you can do with Anchoring Foci, but the repreccusions aren't worth the effort in most cases. Every time you use one (even Reusable Anchoring Foci), you have to go through the linking ritual to "reload" it. In most cases where you would use one, a Sustaining Focus could do the same job without costing a fortune and being able to be deactivated on a whim without worry -- and that's exactly why Anchoring Foci suck. You can't deactivate them, so any situation that would cause you to do so effectively ruins the focus until you take the time to recharge it (and risk taking Drain up to two or three times, not to mention when you actually activate it).

They're nice for people who don't regularly run into wards or other astral barriers, though, and are particularly useful for bodyguarding or safety personnel who have cash to burn... but that's about it. For runners, they're pretty useless compared to the alternatives.
mfb
incidentally, there's no "no magic projectiles" rule in SR3. the rule you're thinking of is the one that disallows ranged weapon foci--that is, your focus must be in contact with your body to be active. you can have a weapon focus arrow, but it won't act as a weapon focus if you shoot it at someone--only if you're holding it and you stab them.
DrJest
that's exactly why Anchoring Foci suck. You can't deactivate them, so any situation that would cause you to do so effectively ruins the focus until you take the time to recharge it (and risk taking Drain up to two or three times, not to mention when you actually activate it).

I'm reading from this that anchoring has majorly changed in SR3. Speaking from the depths of SR2, you could anchor a spell with a temporal link, activating and deactivating it as required until the time ran out. You also didn't need a specific focus to do it, although you could enchant an item to make it a better receptacle for the spell.

Example: Remy the houngan has an Improved Invisibility spell anchored to his favourite tie pin. He cast it with a duration of 30 minutes (+3 Drain Level Modifier, but with adequate preparation that's not a killer). During a run he uses it to sneak past a security guard (three minutes), shake a tail (five minutes) and avoid the attentions of the Star (ten minutes). Remy's used 18 minutes of the duration, leaving him with 12 minutes of activation before he has to re-cast the spell.
Ol' Scratch
Yes, for the umpteenth time, things have changed quite a bit between SR3 and previous editions. Shock shock.
lorthazar
Yes and not all of it was for the better. I am currently working on more realistic anchoring. Of course realistic when it comes to metamagic is a tricky thing.
BitBasher
QUOTE (lorthazar)
Yes and not all of it was for the better. I am currently working on more realistic anchoring. Of course realistic when it comes to metamagic is a tricky thing.

Erm, "realistic" when it comes to ANY magic is a tricky thing wink.gif
DocMortand
I swear, the whole concept of anchoring a spell on a bullet strikes me as directly from Outlaw Star. (Number 13 shell, anyone?)

Besides - if you anchor it so it activates on impact, wouldn't it activate inside the gun? (What causes the bullet to start moving fast? an impact!)
Ol' Scratch
Only if you were foolish enough to enchant it that way. Magic has this nasty habit of working based upon the intent of its creator rather than the literal wording of a player.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Besides - if you anchor it so it activates on impact, wouldn't it activate inside the gun? (What causes the bullet to start moving fast? an impact!)

No, because you make it "activate upon the first impact after exiting the barrel" or whatever.

As pretty much stated, spell anchored bullets are useful about once a blue moon. If you have a toxic spirit or such on the radar, a properly masked Slay Spirit bullet could be an ace in the hole.
DrJest
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Yes, for the umpteenth time, things have changed quite a bit between SR3 and previous editions. Shock shock.

I know that, Doc. I was providing an example of anchoring from my point of view, which is different from the current one but may have applications of interest to those who didn't experience SR2.
Gilthanis
So, making a spell that targets a focus and placing it into the anchor focus as the last spell to go off wouldn't be a feesible means of getting rid of that material link you were talking about? I think this would be a common practice for the sniper using this method. Especially when most snipers tend to be anal and precise anyways.
BitBasher
A sniper doesn't need this anyway, he's going to put a big chunk of metal through your cranium regardless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012