Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Double Crossed!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cedric
Well...it's going to happen to every runner time, some more often then others depending upon how twisted your GM is. But our group was double crossed.

Snatch and grab for a mid-level Renraku programmer who is working on ways to fix the arcology, but he wants out. Him and his family have 24/7 Renraku surveillance and security.

Our team is contracted to get them out. They have been living in their new apartments (a ren facility) for about a month, and have never left together as a family. We do some background research on the wife, I wanted to know if she was a member of any clubs, she was.

We send her an email from her Coffee of the month club that she has won dinner out for her family, two nights later.

They head out to dinner...we wait until dinner is over, drop the guards and grab the family. Then ... the double cross. Another team shows up and we drop them...but we thought they were going after us, because of some other deal.

We get with Mr. Johnson, he sends us to a warehouse in the barrens, they try to jump us.

So now we have the family, and some travel money. We are likely running them to the Cal Free States to live with his brother's family...what do we do about Mr. Johnson though?

Cedric
FlakJacket
Three real choices. One- do nothing, just write it up as one of those things and move on. Two- spread word far and wide through both Seattle and the Nexus/Shadowland about the whole deal, then watch him never be able to get any decent help ever again. Or three- do the fucker. Either kill him, maim them, or possible maim them whilst extracting any relevant details out of them and then kill them.

And on another topic, what's happening with your pay/expenses? Unless this brother has access to resources, this could get tight. Consider talking to the guy about looking for other possible corps. to join and negotiate a finders fee or some such with them.
Cedric
That's good advice...as it just so happens, the heat is on us from the Tir cause of a job we pulled a few months back. So we had already put our stuff in storage, liquidated and were cashed out to move to the Cal Free States for awhile to get setup down there. We were just pulling one more job before we did move.

I'm thinking that as soon as we put the screws to one of his orcs that shot me, we are going to call Mr. Johnson, give him an account number and tell him that 250,000 nuyen.gif will make this nightmare go away for him.

But your idea of a finders fee for maybe getting this guy a job and hooked up with another corp is a good idea.
Lucyfersam
Well, it depends on how vindictive you are. I remember the first time our team was seriously double crossed we did a fair amount of legwork, extracted the Johnson, then I used Transform on him to turn him into a worm and went fishing. But then again, we were hired to guard a shipment of some chemical which was being researched to attempt to cause/reverse goblinization but in fact generally reduced the victim to a pile of goo over the course of about a day, and then they tried to keep us to test it on.
It really depends on how major the Johnson's corp is though. In my example it was a relatively minor player trying some dangerous research in hopes of making it big. From the sounds of it though your dealing with one of the big boys and that can make things harder. If it looks like it would be too difficult and dangerous to get revenge personally, there are still some good options. Depending on how much Renraku cares about the extractee (from the sounds of it, quite a bit), you could try laying a trail to your Johnson for them to follow and let them take care of him. Spreading word about a double cross can also make it difficult for the Johnson to find good runners who are willing to work for him, and if he can't get the job done, the corp will probably get rid of him, making him easy pickings for personal revenge. Or, if you have the cred and a good decker, keep tabs on him, next time he hires a team, pay them to double cross him.
Then of course, depending on how evil your characters are, there is always the option of learning who all the people he cares about are and killing them one by one. Framing him for said murders might also be an added bonus.
booklord
I once had a Johnson kidnap one of the shadowrunners' dependents. Turned out that the Johnson was doing a run against his own corp, the players learned what was going down, and were reluctant to perform a run against their meal ticket. The Johnson became worried that the runners might not follow through with the run or worse rat him out so he went out and got a little insurance. ( and arranged for the players to be killed after the run was completed )

Those players hired another team to perform the run, rescued the hostage, executed the Johnson. and left his severed head on his desk. It cost them though. They lost money on the run and ended up losing the corp as an employer.
Cedric
Well...we were nice to the Renraku guards. We didn't hurt them at all, in fact they only took stun damage.

Mr. Johnson's guys on the other hand. Well...they didn't fair so well. They rolled up in a black, armored SUV with an elf hanging out the window firing a grenade launcher.

He shot the renraku vehicle and I lobbed an Armor piercing grenade into the SUV with him...chunky salsa.

Later on, against the other double crossers I got ticked when I told one to stay down and he shot me instead. So I switched to a mace and dropped him like 3rd period french. We grabbed their van (ours was somewhat trashed) and left with the family and one orc for questioning...

I want some payback...but money will be sufficient.

Cedric
CanvasBack
I think FlakJacket is right on the money with his three options. My suggestion is that if you decide to take direct action against the Johnson that you simply kill him, and not make a big production out of it. If you maim him, you've simply made an enemy for life, an enemy with the resources of a AAA mega-corp at his fingertips... Not a pleasant thought. Also, putting his body or parts thereof on display will force the corp's hand, they'll have to retaliate or runners will get the idea that it's ok to geek Johnsons and that's not good for morale or efficiency down at the corp. Kill the guy quick and clean and make sure you don't damage the corp's property doing it. Then they can write the incident off as a "random" act of violence and maybe put a page in their Johnson training manual about the reasons not to accomplish the corps goals through a double cross and you and your team won't be hunted like vermin dead.gif . Otherwise, pick one of the first two options, your team probably will not be running for Renraku ever again in any case.
Rice Bowl
Think.

First, Johnson didn't want the hostages dead.
So, he wants them back.
He just needed dead jokers to take the blame of it and thus leave a "dead end" for Renraku.

So:
leave him a message with a meeting point for someone to give him address and code a place where they are locked up. Meeting set up one hour after the call.
Far away place where your ambush is already set up, so they cannot ambush you.
Tell the place with hostages is rigged and will go Kaboom in 2 hours, if ransom not paid etc. + his mugshot and info etc. will be kindly and anonymously passed to Renraku Sec.
Now, on Negotitation you get some kind of lever on the guy.
Precise it's also non negotiable offer, no postponment of meeting or Kaboom time or whatsoever.
Then swicth of all devices which would get you traced in ANY way, or send in the Pugett/wherever.

Regarding your ambush, depend on your team's strengths and what kind of muscle/magic the Johnson had on tap in his two double cross teams.

Far away hidden snipers, DMSO Gamma scopolamine shots, Neurojet - VI, CT/Tear gas, stunballs should send them all dozing.

If too much of an armada arrives WITH biohazard combi (!!), get your tracers, watchers, etc ready.
Track them, take them, interrogate them, get the Johnson.

When you get the Johnson, if he doesn't have a cranial bomb or cyanid tooth ready to auto-inject, there shouldn't be many reasons for him not to have the wisdom to talk.
Anyway Mind Probe, Analyze Truth + Gamma scopolamine + CT/Tear Gas etc should help you ensure he spills all the true beans.

Finally, just for the sake of example (examples are a good way to send clear messages like "don't fuck with us", pick some lambs if you want to set up someone):
buy on your money some Stabilization Unit Deluxe, fill it with drugs and nutrient to maintain the Johnson alive and comatose, and send him by container (filled with bacteria etc to prevent ritual tracking) to Asamando Ghoul nation in Africa. You can tag the container FRESH MEAT.

Send him naked, no ID, no nothing.

Of course, in the end, if your GM is really twisted, you may have won an interesting Ghoul Enemy.

Don't forget interesting Enemies make life of SRs interesting!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012