Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coffee Shop People
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
DrJest
Mentioned this in a recent post, and it made me think.

The idea behind the concept is that you can meet anyone - present or past - in a coffee shop for drinks and a chat. And, you know, some of those little pastries with the... never mind smile.gif

So in the Shadowrun universe - who would you pick as a coffee shop person?

I'll kick off with one obvious and one not so obvious.

Obvious: Harlequin. Great sense of humour and 5000 years of perspective on life, the universe and everything. A lot deeper character than first appears. Also because it amuses me that my mage was called Harlequin before the elf first appeared smile.gif

Not so obvious: Jenny Twenten, the proprietor of Twenten's in Seattle. A powerful Dog Shaman who's happy to just run a restaurant and help out local spellslingers (but powerful enough to send the Mob packing when they tried to lean on her for protection money).
Mercer
Hatchetman, pre-Cybertechnology. From PAoE, Rabid and Smokin' Jo seemed like either the most interesting or the easiest to get along with. Perhaps Wynona Flying Horse, depending on the legality of kidnapping imaginary people.
Tanka
The Smiling Bandit and Hatchetman.
toturi
Dweller on the Threshold and Deus.
Backgammon
ANY hot elf chick.
Tanka
QUOTE (Backgammon)
ANY hot elf chick.

rotfl.gif
toturi
QUOTE (tanka)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Dec 2 2004, 09:18 AM)
ANY hot elf chick.

rotfl.gif

Come on, what is a hot elf chick doing in a coffee shop?
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)
Come on, what is a hot elf chick doing in a coffee shop?

Where else would she be in Seattle?
Kagetenshi
Mr. Darke and Ysrthgrathe.

~J
Toptomcat
I'd like to talk to any of the Great Dragons, provided I had some assurance that they wouldn't be evasive and cryptic as is sometimes their wont. Find out what it's like being on top of the world, like.
Halabis
The Big D. Of all the ancients, he is the only one that actualy believed in telling all to humanity. The only reason he didnt was persecution from his peers. Now with him dead he could tell me all without fear of repercution. =) Harly would be a bitch and be all cryptic about his answers, wanting me to figure it out on my own and all. On that note he would be fun to talk with for totaly different reasons.

Damien Knight. I would start the conversation with "Yo Mr. G, what up." and proceed to reveal all his secrets to him. Then I would spend the rest of my life hiding in some 3rd world country constantly fearing death from some shadowrunners he hires to off me.
Garland
Aina, but only if she's drinking decaf.
Critias
Nadja Daviar, and I'd spike her coffee. Rrwowr.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
I would want to talk to my player's characters and my NPCs. That would be neat.
Cakeman
The top execs of the AAA corps could have a friendly gettogether in a corner and share warstories.

"Yes, we've heard about the buyout. We know it was quick."

Personally, I'd like to have a chat with the original members of echo mirage. That'd be fun...
Adarael
I can think of three...

The Smiling Bandit, because I'm sure his perspective on the socio-political atmosphere of the 2060s would be educated, considered, and interesting, and he's obviously one of those guys that loves to talk in coffee shops.

The Silicon Mage, because he's my kind of guy - a hermetic who works through technology. I bet he'd have a pretty keen grasp of magical theory with regards to man-machine-mana interactions.

Smokin' Joe. Not many people know Smokin' Joe - he was a poster in Paranormal Animals of Europe (and maybe the North American one, too...). Why? He's not a great runner, but he's okay. He's not anything special. But man, the stories he told in PAoE were some of the funniest and wierdest things ever put to paper.

Edit: Mercer's good, cuz Mercer's heard of Joe.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Halabis)
The Big D. Of all the ancients, he is the only one that actualy believed in telling all to humanity.

Bulldrek. Just take one good look at his will and tell me with a straight face that the Big D was interested in telling humanity anything close to what he knew.

~J
Halabis
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Bulldrek. Just take one good look at his will and tell me with a straight face that the Big D was interested in telling humanity anything close to what he knew.

~J

Well, this pretty much spells it out

http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/WyrmTalk.doc
Fresno Bob
What exactly did Dunkelzahn tell the people on Wyrm Talk? And what are invae?

I'd want to sit down with FastJack. He'd probably have some neat stuff to say about various systems and the like.
Backgammon
Invae = bug spirits
Kagetenshi
Is that even canon?

~J
Halabis
It was writen by a SR author, and I'm pretty sure it was published somewhere. AH would probably know more though.
Fresno Bob
Weren't they from Robotech? Or was that the Invid...
kevyn668
Euphoria (pre-investation wink.gif)

Quint Durran (the Ork merc from "Preying for Keeps" and "Headhunters.")

Billy/Burnout/Dunk (imagine having a soycaf w/ a cyberzombie that has 5 kilos of orichalcum grafted to his hand...)

Wolfgang Kies (he's just fraggin' cool.)

Kid Stealth (mega ditto...and he's the only person I know of that has a piece of chrome named after him)

Nadia Minrin (eh, I needed another hot chic--and she's a mage)

Dodger (why not?)

Argent ("so, uh...what's up the arms?")

Sam Verner (so I can ask him how he managend to nail Hart)

Jane Foster aka "Frosty" (it seems like she could a use a "friend" her own age )

and of course....

Harlequin (do I really need a reason?)

Voor: yeah dude, Robtech was the Invid smile.gif

Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Weren't they from Robotech? Or was that the Invid...

Actually, that would be 'Genesis Climber MOSPEADA' before the comming of the butcher...
Fresno Bob
The Zentraedi were still the best.
kevyn668
I agree.
lorthazar
Harlequin : he's almost crazy enough, lol

Ehran the Scribe: but not on the same day

Lowfyr: do I need a reason

Dunklezhan: nicest guy to run for president....ever

Maria Mercurial: She is crazy enough

Holly brighton: Hey she interviewed a drogon she has to be an excellent conversationalist

Karen King: An almost honest corper in Seattle? will wonders ever cease

Nightmare, Wheelie and the gang: Rigger know their humor and coffee

FastJack, Dodger, Smiling Bandit, and Captain Chaos: just the coolest computer geeks ever.

Kenneth Brackhaven: (actually so i could accidently drop and full industrial size pot of boiling water in his crotch, but hey I'm just like that.

Any of my PC's ecpet HitMage

Talon: he's just cool

Sally Tsung: Can't believe you guys missed her

There are hundreds more but more than half are specific to games i was in
Kagetenshi
Skwaaark. Definitely Skwaaark.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (lorthazar)
Sally Tsung: Can't believe you guys missed her

We didn't miss her ... she's just totally uninteresting.
Ol' Scratch
That acolyte of Thor in the art of the Old World Magic chapter of State of the Art: 2064. He looks like he'd be a blast to drink with, even if it was just coffee.
Kanada Ten
Emperor Yasuhito.
HMHVV Hunter
Slamm-O! - Sounds like a really fun guy to be friends with

Martin DeVries - A fellow vampire hunter. What more can I say?

Dunkelzahn - a gentleman (er, gentledragon) and a general good guy

"Damon," the dragon - I'm not a woman, nor am I gay, but he seems like a cool guy to hang out with in general

Argent - he plays online games, and given his military experience, I'd want him on my side in Halo 2 (or whatever the equivalent is in 2064)

Doc - I like intelligent women smile.gif
Nikoli
Dodger, hands down.
With Ghost-who-walks-within a clsoe second.
Kagetenshi
The Spirit of Denver.

~J
Thistledown
In addition to some already said... (dunkie, harly, Captain Chaos, etc)

Buttercup. Free spirit, heads a megacorp, and likes manga?

Hestaby. "So... Orange, huh? You ever hear of this one commercial..."
Fortune
For a few of my characters, Daniel Howling Coyote would have topped the list, for varying reasons.
Shockwave_IIc
To start with.
Smilling Bandit, FastJack and KAM

Dunk and Harlequin,

Slamm-O but only if i could get Syzygy. Just for the fireworks biggrin.gif

Matador and Argent. Oh almost forgot. Grey Fox i think it is...

Yeah would be good to talk to them.
kevyn668
Isn't Grey Fox from "Metal Gear?"
mintcar
Perianwyr. After he lost he´s bad company (that Azie assasin) and started managing rock-bands intead. Derek Montgomery because he´s the most likable character in any Shadowrun novel I´ve read. And Valerie Valkyrie from Wolf and Raven, she black and she seems like one of the few hot girls in Shadowrun that you wouldn´t have to be too scared of. (although she does know Kid Stealth and he´s completely mental... better take that back).

Man, are Shadowrun names silly! smile.gif

And the obvious ones which have allready been mentioned. (Harlequin, Dunkelzahn, Buttercup and Hestaby were good ideas. And Ryan Mercury of course biggrin.gif. Kidding, he´s boring) By the way, the one who said Darke above is crazy. Don´t know if i ever read a more gaphic account of fictional genocide than the one in the Dragon Heart thrilogy. I would not want to meet that man even by make beleave. smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (mintcar)
By the way, the one who said Darke above is crazy. Don´t know if i ever read a more gaphic account of fictional genocide than the one in the Dragon Heart thrilogy. I would not want to meet that man even by make beleave. smile.gif

Quotable Darke quotes:

"If you smell.... what the Darke is cooking!"

"Ahhh, it has such a nice nose... Teocalli circa 2057 San Marcos. A good year and a fine vintage."

"One death a sacrifice, one million WORLD DOMINATION!"
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mintcar)
By the way, the one who said Darke above is crazy.

You're just noticing? wink.gif

~J
Orient
QUOTE (Adarael)
Smokin' Joe. Not many people know Smokin' Joe - he was a poster in Paranormal Animals of Europe (and maybe the North American one, too...). Why? He's not a great runner, but he's okay. He's not anything special. But man, the stories he told in PAoE were some of the funniest and wierdest things ever put to paper.

Edit: Mercer's good, cuz Mercer's heard of Joe.

Wasn't Smokin Jo revealed to be female in a recent sourcebook...?
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (lorthazar)
Kenneth Brackhaven: (actually so i could accidently drop and full industrial size pot of boiling water in his crotch, but hey I'm just like that.

I'd do pick General Sato and do the same thing in spilling that coffee on him. Heh. Course, I'll promptly get gunned down by his goons... indifferent.gif
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (kevyn668)
Isn't Grey Fox from "Metal Gear?"

The one im thinking of is the One in SOTA 63 that does the security thing.......

But i might be confusing myself...
FrostyNSO
Lord Torgo.

Must be some kind of military genius for his (greatly outnumbered) gang to hold it's own against the Silent P's and the Ancients.
Kagetenshi
Nah, he's just really big. Really big.

"Pay X nuyen, kill X elves"

~J
FrostyNSO
Hmmmmm. In the SR Comp it seemed to paint him as fairly intelligent as well as being immensely huge. Likes to run his gang like a military outfit and favorite book is the Art of War (mine too).
kevyn668
"Fairly Intelligent" = "3"

I like the "Art of War," too. But in this day and age it should be renamed "The Idiot's Guide to Warfare."

There was one section on attacking when the enemy is unaware:
"...Hey Bob, 'member when we took that hill and they didn't know we were coming? Man, we should do that all the time..." biggrin.gif

The bit about the Duke of Tsung was pretty cool. smile.gif

edited for Int.
Kagetenshi
What it would have been like to have lived in a day when "Hey, what's that behind you?" was a valid tactic…

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012