Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shamanic Lodge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Catsnightmare
One of my players is playing a shaman following the idol of The Horned Man (MitS)

A funny thought occured to me as to what the lodge of the Horned Man might look like?
Sports memorabilia and playboy centerfolds?biggrin.gif
A keg on tap around a campfire with high power binoculars to spy in the nearby house windows of women? nyahnyah.gif
Austin Powers' bedroom rotfl.gif

What's your take on it?
Fresno Bob
Probably have a lot of phallic symbols around. An H2 parked outside. Maybe a pendant with the male sign (O with an arrow) or something.
hyzmarca
It depends on his take on the idol or if he is following any specific god. If he is following a specific deity, then it would be a temple or shrie to that god. If not, then it would probably be a very swinging bachlor pad.
Fresno Bob
There'd be like a pool table, and a juke box, and a cocktail bar with one of those silver martini shakers. And a vermouth sprayer. And you'd have to wear a smoking jacket and smoke a pipe all the time. And you'd have framed posters on the wall. When you frame posters, it becomes art, and is cool.
Crimson Jack
Thank you for a wonderful idea for an NPC in my game. notworthy.gif
Fresno Bob
Kickass.
bitrunner
he could be like Leon Phelps...The Ladies' Man...
Crusher Bob
Another take is the 'king of the hunt' gun racks, stuffed animals, stuffed fish, a few of your favorite dawgs, that kind of thing.
kevyn668
Dude, two words: "Playboy Mansion."
Fortune
That'd be his home ... not his Lodge. biggrin.gif
Eyeless Blond
The Playboy Mansion's master bedroom then. nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
Or the sauna/spa. wink.gif
Fresno Bob
Or the 'grotto'.
Kanada Ten
It is still important that the pieces of the lodge are part of a magical whole. To take the example of the sauna (which really seems appropriate for a Bacchus shaman so that is what I'll describe), the tile floor might be make of river rocks harvested from the Rhein under a New Moon, the wood from fine Birch that grows abought a summer swimming hole - filled with laughter and happiness of giddy school children on their last tryste before parting - then treated with untainted mineral oils and stained red with deer blood under the House of Saturn, and the heating stones might have come from the bed of a hot spring where the old go to renew or find lost love, ect.
Paco
The image of Quagmires house comes to mind. With the rotating wall with the heart shaped bed and bar.
"gigidy gigidy gi-gi-dy!" grinbig.gif
mintcar
It depends on which horned man we´re talking about. I think for Bacchus phalic symbols would be fine, but the bacci rituals were mostly preformed by women, and involved a lot of wine and a lot of raving around naked, having sex and ocationally mad killings of infants. That´s the myth anyway. A ritual preformed by Bacchus shamans should probably be like a big orgy at a bonfire by some lake, were everybody get bollocksed and dance about butt naked.
mfb
haha, dammit, i was just gonna make a quagmire-as-horned-man comment.
"how old are you?"
"sixteen."
"eighteen? you're first!"
"mommmm!"
"i like where this is going!"
Fresno Bob
"Yeah, 911? It's Quagmire. Yeah, its stuck in a window this time."
JaronK
My cat shaman's lodge is a spacious apartment with couches and shiny things everywhere, and plenty of mirrors.

JaronK
Snow_Fox
The Horned Man is not so much a symbol of male boorishness, but being masculine and being the wild forces of nature.

He is a power of the world, not a texas frat boy on a bender. He isthe wild creatures of the Great Wood, the lightning in the sky and the wind that bends trees and tears at shutters. His precence pulls at the confines of convention to free true thoughts.
mintcar
Yeah, Snow Fox. I too got a bad feeling from the frat boy/austin powers suggestions. Those were bad, people! On the other hand there´s no telling how individual characters might interpret things. There´s nothing prohibiting characters with poor taste and a bad understanding of the history of religion.

I´m gonna regret making this cocky comment nyahnyah.gif
draco aardvark
Snow Fox is right, the horned man has to make a test to turn down a contest of strength or a fight as well as the lustful advances. What would that come out as in his lodge?

Though he is the horned man, so phallic symbols certainly aren't out of place smile.gif
Snow_Fox
sure, look at etruscan bronzes, they are full of erect genitalia. The "horn" a lot of modern italian american males wear is the more "polite" form of of that.

In Celtic cultures the antlers of a deer are a symbol of verility and typically are the meblems of "male."
In meso-american cultures bulls horns serve a similar function So it would not be out of place in a North American lodge to have racks of antlers or horns.
DocMortand
Actually, Terry Pratchett had a perfect lodge of the Horned Man (because it housed the Horned Man himself). It basically was underground, with three mounds with one being freakishly long. *grin*
CoalHeart
Stuffed animals, or furs, probably a bit of a lair kind of feel. Concubines, or puppetjacked Benraku girls. A full sized mirror for self appreciation, steroids under the bed. A workout gym, lots of heavy weights, or a practice dummy to work some martial arts and agression out on. Big soft bed, with women chained to it. Mirror on the ceiling. Hrm... what else.

Possibly many paintings of very masculine men, almost a homoerotic feel to the place, but still going after the lady folk.

Gotta love the male figure to be the paragon of it which it looks like the Horned Man is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012