Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [Attention Adam Jury]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Question Man
Good day folks, I wanted to draw attention to the fact that the Official Shadowrun Website has not been updated since October 3rd. (Thanks D. Generate)

Who else can we contact and recieve a response to questions?

What is going on?

When will we see an Update?

Where can we find Information on upcoming releases?

How would you prefer I make my inquiries in the future?

Thank you in advance

QM
D.Generate
Actually it was October 3rd. And just have faith my brother the great gods or SR will reveal thier knowledge when they feel that we are worthy to recieve thier gift.

The New Big D.
Kagetenshi
If you really want Adam's attention, a PM or email is the way to get it.

~J
D.Generate
One should not speak directly to our lord and master without first getting permission! You'll damn us all to an oblivion without the sweet sweet nectar of shadowrun goodness....
Synner
QUOTE (The Question Man @ Dec 5 2004, 10:57 PM)
Good day folks, I wanted to draw attention to the fact that the Official Shadowrun Website has not been updated since September 3rd.

As someone has pointed out the last update was in October following the release of SOTA64.

Who else can we contact and recieve a response to questions?

If you're inquiring about rules clarifications or anything of the sort you can direct your mails to info@shadowrunrpg.com, just like it says on the Official FAQ page. Most people who have recently, have recieved pretty quick returns.

What is going on?

I'd hazard a guess and say the under-manned FanPro crew has been kinda busy working on putting books out.

When will we see an Update?

While only Adam can tell you about that, I can say that if all goes according to plan there should be a couple of updates in the near future, one with some additional SoE material and another with a SOTA64 Web Supplement (assuming I wrap up a couple of projects ASAP).

Where can we find Information on upcoming releases?

Here would be a good place to start. However, if you're looking for concrete release dates, you're pretty much out of luck. For reference the next few books, as announced at GenCon, should be (in no particular order and subject to change at any point):
  • Loose Alliances - sixthworld.orgs, check the link above
  • Running Wild - not a Monster Manual
  • Shadows of Asia - self-explanatory
  • Shadows of Latin America - again self-explanatory
  • Critical Error - Major campaign
  • System Crash - Event book reviewing post-CE status quo
  • SOTA65 - still mysterious

How would you prefer I make my inquiries in the future?

A PM or direct email would probably be better than posting a thread to Dumpshock.
Adam
What Synner said.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Adam)
What Synner said.

Well put.
Bigity
Man, I cringe every time I read "Web suplement" to a book. Either it should have been in the book to start with, or it's fluff material. I don't like having "canon" stuff available online and nowhere else.
Ancient History
Now be fair. You can't fit /everything/ into a book or they'd all be 600 pages and $50 each. We're not talking critically important material or even lots of game stats here either. This isn't like DnD where they decide they have to fix all the prestige classes after-the-fact on the website.
Bigity
Well, that is true, most of the cringing comes from the crap WotC pulls.
Ol' Scratch
Critical Error - Major campaign
System Crash - Event book reviewing post-CE status quo

Argh...
Kagetenshi
Argh?

~J
Ancient History
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Critical Error - Major campaign
System Crash - Event book reviewing post-CE status quo

Argh...

rotfl.gif
Kagetenshi
Argh.

~J, slow on the uptake.
Ol' Scratch
Argh as in "argh, not another 'major campaign' that's going to require a second book just to go over all the 'post-CE status quo' changes." Which, if it's already in the works as it seems to be, essentially means that nothing you do in the former doubtlessly epic and thus non-street level campaign will matter one iota.
FlakJacket
Nice to see that you're reserving judgement on the books until they're released. smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
Considering past releases, I have very little reason to suspect anything else at the moment. Especially with those mini-blurbs.
Lance Hawvermale
I would also like to see a return to "street-level" stories. Though I very much enjoyed reading Dragons of the Sixth World (praise to all the writers!), it has no place in my campaigns, where great dragons are as far removed and inconsequential as an alien sun. Yes, they put off lots of radiation, but if any of it reaches the galaxy of my players, they don't realize it.

And of course we'd all love frequent website updates, but Adam--gifted as he may be--is only (as far as I know) one man.

Cheers,

Lance
Kagetenshi
Your information is wrong. Adam is in fact two men. The second one is hidden in the hair.

~J
Adam
He never learned how to type, though. Loser.
Halabis
The problem with street level campaigns is, that after a certain point (which I bvelieve SR has hit) it becomes impossible to release new information, as it has all been done before. I mean realy, what else is there for street level campaigns? Nothing. I for one greatly enjoy the published campaigns, even if I dont run all of them.
Synner
QUOTE (Bigity @ Dec 6 2004, 05:06 PM)
Man, I cringe every time I read "Web suplement" to a book.  Either it should have been in the book to start with, or it's fluff material.  I don't like having "canon" stuff available online and nowhere else.

As has been mentioned elsewhere the material that would be in this particular "web supplement" would be stuff that was cut from SOTA64 for space reasons. Stuff like stat profiles for the adept groups and sample study circles for some of the new magical schools/paradigms, a sprinkling of spy and police toys (hopefully those magecuffs), a handful of optional adept powers, rules for Druidic Sacred circles/sites and a few other odds and ends.

Considering past releases, I have very little reason to suspect anything else at the moment. Especially with those mini-blurbs.

One of most useful sourcebooks in my collection and a personal favorite Corporate Download fits this profile (it revised the Triple-A status quo after the Blood in the Boardroom campaign). And, even though as one of the writers I'm seriously biased, I think DotSW actually does a good job of providing material for all levels of play after the epic scale of SotF.

As for System Crash, I believe it was presented as an event book (possibly YotC-style) covering the fallout and changes brought on by CE and introducing new ongoing plots.
Lindt
Prehaps the REAL question should be *que ominius music and lightning* What happens! I have wanted a good reason to annoy my players with an all Decker game.. and that sounds rather... evil?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Synner)
And, even though as one of the writers I'm seriously biased, I think DotSW actually does a good job of providing material for all levels of play after the epic scale of SotF.

As for System Crash, I believe it was presented as an event book (possibly YotC-style) covering the fallout and changes brought on by CE and introducing new ongoing plots.

I'm sick and tired of epic scenarios that change the world, especially when the results of those epic campaigns have no impact on the world. It doesn't matter one wit what happened in individual games of Survival of the Fittest or Brainscan, for example.

Non-epic world-changing scenarios don't *need* a book that explains the fall-out and world-changing events in it. The metaplot is fine, I couldn't care less about it myself. But if you want to tinker with it, just frelling tinker with it and keep the actual focus of the game where it should be. Especially if you're going to promise a "return to the streets" in future books.

Hence the initial "argh."
Kanada Ten
I don't know. Most of the hooks in SotA64 that weren't spy related, were street adventures and low life scum stuff. Loose Alliances seems like it has a lot of that too. Not that I'm happy about new modules when we could be having books...
JongWK
I respectfully disagree with Doctor Funkenstein. "Return to the streets" is not at odds with "world changing events."

I think people confuse the latter term with IEs and such stuff, when in fact it might as well mean corporate war, presidential campaign, Yakuza shakeup, NEEC, etc., all of which affect the streets in a major way.

Oh, and by the way, more fiction should be coming up in the next website update.

EDIT: Don't forget Mr. JLBB has tons of runs and run ideas.
Fortune
I'm cool with it. I can make my own 'Street Level' runs and campaigns. I like these type of things that make the world move forward ... even though some of them in the past have been less-than-perfectly implimented.
Ol' Scratch
Shake up the world? I'm cool with that. Constantly throw out "epic campaigns" that shake up the world due to their events, but completely and utterly disregard those events except for how the writer of the week felt like seeing them resolved? I'm not cool with that.

I know it's not a popular opinion, and I frankly don't give a damn. I'd, personally, just rather see the game return to its roots rather than turn into a lameified world-shaking epic heroes D&D knock-off. That's not what Shadowrun is to me, and I'm disgusted by every single "campaign" book that's come out in the last few years as a result. Doubly so because those campaigns don't matter at all. They're just a cheap excuse for Fanpro and co. to do what they like and give the illusion that the suckers who bought and ran the game are having some kind of impact on the world around them.

While some of you don't need help coming up with "street-level games," I don't need help coming up with a worthless epic-level game that doesn't affect anything at all, either. But I'd rather see those apparently useless street-level games given more attention than these asinine epic ones.
Kanada Ten
I'd, personally, just rather see the game return to its roots rather than turn into a lameified world-shaking epic heroes D&D knock-off.

Going to its roots would mean more epic hero stuff, not less. DNA/DOA, Elven Fire, Universal Brotherhood, Queen Euphoria, Bottled Demon, Harlequin, Dragon Hunt, and even Mercurial and Dreamchipper. Hell, Sprawl Sites was filled to the brim with heroic encounters.
Ol' Scratch
You're assuming that's what I was referring to. I was referring to the roots as in the concept the game was built around.
Kagetenshi
I think what we need are pairings like this where the campaign is world-changing, but the players are not the driving force behind it. Brainscan was just wonderful at the beginning, but it would have been better had they been hired to do something completely different to assist a team that they didn't know about in reaching the guy whose name I forget inside the Arc. Basically, stop trying to make the players the main characters of the story, and let them just be the main characters of their story.

And I just put this all really badly. I am ashamed as a writer. More if I actually figure out how to phrase this.

~J
Jason Farlander
Both myself and my players had a blast going through Brainscan. Granted, the ending was a little... blah.

[ Spoiler ]

...OK, more than a little.

But aside from that, I have no complaints about it. The rest of the campaign was a lot of fun, so I can forgive a single ill-concieved combat scenario.
Kagetenshi
Actually, the end I liked a lot more than
[ Spoiler ]
The end may suck for the characters, but it makes sense.

~J
Jason Farlander
Oh yeah, heh, I remember that. I didnt have a huge problem with that, insofar runners tend not to like being blatantly misled. The only potential problem would be having to rework the scenario to fit with how you believe your players would respond, which you should have enough of a sense of their tendancies to do at that point. The part I didnt really understand was
[ Spoiler ]
Kagetenshi
My best explanation to that would be
[ Spoiler ]

~J
Jason Farlander
The problem with that explanation is that,
[ Spoiler ]

But hey, the runners don't know whats going on behind the scenes, so problems like this aren't terribly pressing - just a little annoying when you stop to ponder them. As I said, we still had a lot of fun, and this part didn't end up being problematic.
Kagetenshi
My suggestion would be to
[ Spoiler ]

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012