Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what's the deal with Quebec?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
lodestar
Just checking my map of North America circa 2060 and was wondering what do we know about this bastion of the french culture? Given that Quebec has a significant native population how come some of it didn't end up in their hands, especially the northern portions of it. Or did Quebec Hydro drown them all out before the awakening?

Here's the few things I dug up.

In T: Smuggler's runs It mentions the border, especially the St Lawrence to be fairly heavily patrolled, and reccomends entering through the NAN if possible - but of course with the warnings about weather (the Igloo) among the main comodities worth smuggling it mentions cyberdecks and matrix ware. Cross Technologies seems to have significant foot holds in Quebec to back this up.

Do any other corps have significant presence there? Or maybe we can assume the similar to present day CAT might have significant government backing. The main two today that I can come up with based there are Quebec Hydro (currently one of the biggest hydroelectric power suppliers in north america) and Bombardier (Heavy manufacturing including Rail car production, Aviation and of course Ski-doo products)

Any other canon mentions of Quebec? What is their relations like with the UCAS anyways?
Backgammon
There's a whole chapter in SoNA... time to update your collection, lodestar nyahnyah.gif
lodestar
I live in the middle of nowhere - indulge me.
Adam
Sentry Box in Calgary appears to have a copy in stock, and they do mail order.
Backgammon
Since I don't want to reveal everything from a sourcebook WELL worth buying, here's a very quick rundown:

Cross IS Quebec. It's homegrown in Quebec and runs the show. Why Natives didn't get more land... Who knows. They got most of Canada, so they probably don't complain too much.

Quebec is an isolasionist xenophobic bastion. French is the official and you MUST speak it to do business here, although with Linguasofts that's not so bad (Cross offers them to employees either for free of significantly discounted, I forget which). Draconic protectionist economical rules favour local enterprises, which is why Cross is undisputed God.

Other corps aren't really mentionned much, though extraterritoriality doesn't work in quite the same way as everywhere else. You gotta set up shop in special zones.

Hydro isn't mentionned at all. Since it's a governement owned society now, it probably never evolved to a big corporate player anyway.

And someone screwed up and inversed the importance of Montreal and Quebec City, so now QC is the economic center and Montreal is a gang infested hellhole.
mintcar
And the government gives out bounties for para-critters, even for some that are concidered semi-sentient and off limits in other countries. Quebec is big game country to most runners!

You should buy the book, itīs good.
Fortune
IIRC, there's stuff in the Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America too.
Shanshu Freeman
What's the deal with airline peanuts? I mean really! What's the deal!?
lodestar
QUOTE (Adam)
Sentry Box in Calgary appears to have a copy in stock, and they do mail order.

Don't get me started on them. Their treatment of anything not D20 related is piss poor. I was going to but a copy of DOTSW last time I was there but they had their SR stuff all stuffed into a tiny shelf and half the paged were all scrunched up on most of their SR stuff. Not impressed. Mail ordering stuff as well that wasn't something D20and published in the last week is like mating elephants. frown.gif that and I only ever am able to get in thre once in a while since I live about two hours away, makes the trips a little disappointing.

Sorry I would pick up the book but just needed a little skinny on the Quebeccers for some stuff I'm doing, seeing as though it would be a while to pick it up.
Large Mike

Not to hijack, but the service *is* piss-poor, but the selection can't be beat. (Truthfully, I'm pretty sure there is none greater. Really.) Also, their mail-order guy was able to respond positivly to challanges of Madagascar and Communist China.

Hell, if you want, *I'll* go get in and mail it to you.

As for Quebec, basically they are snooty french people who will gut you for being Anglo and probably will not take too kindly too you even if you aren't. Add that Cross holds a status there not directly comparable to, but in the same playing league as, Aztechnology in Aztland, and you'll be pretty close.

And yes, whoever was writing the chapter forgot about the Natives, but nobody's perfect.
Fortune
As has been discussed before, the Natives were not forgotten. They gave up their prior claims when they signed the Treaty of Denver.
Large Mike

I stand corrected.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012