Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tattoo Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Amazing Mysto
One of my characters is about to initiate. I was considering to have him learn the Tattoo Metamagic technique, but I have a few questions regarding the rules.

Magic in the Shadows says...

"this variation of quickening must be learned as a seperate metamagical technique"
1. Because it is a variation does this mean that Quickening must be learned first?

"and requires Enchanting Skill and the Tattooing Skill"
2. Does this mean that someone else could not create the tattoo while the one with the
metamagic technique casts the spell?

"one unit of herbal or mineral radicals is required for every 2 force points of the spell
being Quickened"
3. A rating 3 spell would require only 2 units?

If anyone has experience in using this technique or has any insight on the subject please let me
know. I might not be able to respond back right away because I'm at work, but thanks for the help.
BookWyrm
Hmmmm, let me think.........I beleive the answers are (and mind you, this is IMHO)....

1) Yes. Since it is a variation, the basics of Quickening must be learned, then the variation next. You don't automatically know everything there is on the subject just because you have the basics. Driving a car and driving a bus are basically the same, but there are differences that you must know before getting behind the wheel.

2) To be safe, having someone with BOTH skills makes it easier. Do it all there & then.

3) Yes a Force 3 spell would cost 2 units, since you would round up all fractions.

If anyone would care to dispute this, I am willing to listen.
Jason Farlander
Actually, you round down most of the time (spell drain, armor layering, karma costs to improve skills, etc, etc), but thats neither here nor there, as the description doesn't mention division. There are two ways to interpret the wording in the book. One way is "for every 2 full force points of the spell." The other way is "for every 2 force points of the spell, or fraction thereof." Both interpretations are reasonable and justifiable by extrapolating from the way other mechanics in the game work.

I would probably go with the fraction thereof interpretation, meaning that, yes, it takes two units. I would so do based largely on an almost completely unrelated mechanic - because it makes using even-force spells more desireable, whereas drain calculations make odd-force spells more desireable.

Edit: oh yeah, the other two questions...

1)I would say that, no, you dont need to know both - you simply can not quicken a spell without using tatooing unless you have 'normal' quickening as well, nor can you use tatooing if you only possess the normal technique. I think thats the intent of the wording, and it makes sense. Using his analogy (which is poor for SR since they both use the same base skill - but ignore that for now), you can, in theory, learn to drive a bus without ever having learned to drive a car, and vice versa.

2)I agree with BookWyrm that the caster must have all of the relevant skills.
Fortune
No, knowing Quickening is not necessary in order to learn Tattooing, or it would specifically state that, as it does with other Metamagics that have a prerequisite.
GaiasWrath8
Also, if you had to know quickening an adept could not learn it.

Any one know about using tatoos as a gease?
mfb
i generally allow characters to take some sort of 'obvious magic' flaw for 2-3 points. this covers everything from using paper as your medium for magic (a la Read or Die) to tattoo-based physad powers to, well, whatever.
GaiasWrath8
Well I have a player who wants to buy an adept power. The book said he can take a gease on that power to lower the cost. He wants to get a full back peace done as the gease and if the tatoo is damages he will lose the use of the power until it is repaired.

Does this sound ok? He is treating the Tatoo as a Fetish.
mfb
i wouldn't allow that in my game, no. it's a neat idea, but i don't feel it's limiting enough to work as a geasa--even doc funk would probably agree with me on this. to make it work, you'd want to either a) randomly decided, every now and then, that a given wound damages the tattoo, or b) try to jam the tattoo into the cyberware damage system presented in M&M. to me, that seems like a lot of work.

what you might do instead is to have the tattoo act as some sort of ordeal, for the adept's next initiate grade. i'd probably treat it as a variant of the thesis ordeal, throwing in some fluff about how the tattoo represents his chi/spirit/whatever.
GaiasWrath8
Interesting, well this is what I was doing.

Let him get the tatoo, it was for improved reflexes Level 3, a 5 point power brought down to 3.25 (I think). I told him that if he takes a deadly damage, he will only have imp ref level 2, a 3 point power, until its repaired. No roll, the tatoo is just damages when he takes a deadly.

The Amazing Mysto
Regarding the idea of Quicking being a prerequisite for Tatto Magic. When I first read the rules I
would have originally agreed with Book Wyrm only becuse the book says when the tattoo is
completed the spell is quickened as above (refering to normal Quickening rules). But I believe Farlander and Fortune are right simply because the book does not mention it.

[quote]Also, if you had to know quickening an adept could not learn it.[/qoute]

I didn't know an Adept could learn it, this is useful..... until you're forced through a ward Ouch! eek.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
Also, if you had to know quickening an adept could not learn it.

Any one know about using tatoos as a gease?

I thought the only metamagic Adepts could learn was Centering? I don't have my books here, can anyone confirm or deny this?

As for using a Tatoo as a fetish for fulfilling a Geas, I'd say no.

IMO, it's not restricting enough, there isn't any point it can't be used, unless as was mentioned, it takes damage. Geasa are supposed to be a binding restiction, I just don't see trying to use it as a fetish even by putting damage restictions on it very restictive like a gesture or more traditional physical fetish.

Only way I *might* consider it, would be to require the adept have to have touched up on a periodic basis (weekly, bi-weekly) and pay maybe 25% the initial cost each time. But I really don't like monetary restictions for Magical Geasa personally.
mfb
adepts can learn centering, masking, and divination, as well as the new metamagics in SOTA:64.

i don't think the tattoo fetish, as presented, is limiting enough. in my games, players don't take D wound very often; usually when they do something extremely stupid. if you changed it down to S, it'd work better.

touching it up at 25% base cost every 1-2 weeks is way, way too limiting, to me. i'd say 1/year, maybe 1/6 months at most.
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb)
adepts can learn centering, masking, and divination, as well as the new metamagics in SOTA:64.

And Psychometry. smile.gif
Cain
And Sensing. biggrin.gif
Fortune
I knew there was another one.
Grinder
QUOTE (The Amazing Mysto)
"and requires Enchanting Skill and the Tattooing Skill"
2. Does this mean that someone else could not create the tattoo while the one with the
metamagic technique casts the spell?

I thought you "just" have to create the ink, which the tattoo-artist will use. I mean, who's seriously tattoo himself?
So a magician don't need the tattoo-skill, just a good tattoo-artist.
Fortune
That's the way I rule it, but by the book the Mage does need the actual skill.
Grinder
Good to hear i'm not the only one doing it this way smile.gif
Fortune
I just figure it's only logical. Not too many people could do their own full back or chest tattoos.
Grinder
One could try, but i don't wanna see the results biggrin.gif

Actually, a guy i know started tattooing his left arm. He's a tattoo-artist, doing all his work with the right hand, so it might work.... but it's weird. eek.gif
Fortune
Don't get me wrong. Most tattoo people do work on themselves, but they just can't do the big stuff (which equates to high-Force in SR) easily.
Grinder
Yep, that's right.
hey, Troll Mages rock, don't they? So much skin to cover with really high-force spells biggrin.gif
BitBasher
QUOTE (Grinder)
Yep, that's right.
hey, Troll Mages rock, don't they? So much skin to cover with really high-force spells biggrin.gif

you mean so mich skin to cover they mught be able to fit one really high force spell. Those things cover a LOT of territory!
Cynic project
A little note, the average american woman from the 50's had about 16 square feet of skin.
Grinder
@ BitBasher: yeap. or some not-so-high-but-also-impressive spells biggrin.gif

Zeel De Mort
QUOTE (Cain)
And Sensing. biggrin.gif

and Severing...
Lafcadio
Hmmm...maybe the self tattooing could be done with a high force Magic Fingers, at least the front due to LOS issues, and maybe the back of the legs and lower back. Wouldn't want to be the first to try though wink.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
Mirrors
Grinder
After all, i would prefer a skilled tattoo-artist and jsut give him the enchanted ink. and some idea how the tattoo should look like wink.gif
Crusher Bob
Tattooing yourself sounds easy enough, take the skin off, make the tattoo, then put the skin back on again when you are done cyber.gif
Grinder
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012