Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL runs that make the news
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
algcs
Is it Just Me, Or Is Our Mainframe Missing? Australian Customs have recently suffered a rather unfortunate set back in their "War Against Terror" with the admission that two of their secure mainframe servers have been wheeled out of the building by persons unknown.

Israeli Super Drone Stolen Globes Online reports that Steadicopter's prototype pilotless helicopter was stolen a few days after the completion of its test program and final test flights.
bitrunner
ok, i'll kick in about a dozen runs:

The Ukrainian Presidential Elections
mfb
heh, no kidding. the guys in power are really uninterested in giving it up.
algcs
QUOTE (bitrunner)

For everyone that has no clue and can't google.

Experts hunt for Yushchenko poison

Club
Arsenic found in Indonesian Vice Presidents's soup
Crimsondude 2.0
I guess the radioactive pellet in the calf was played out, but Dioxin? WTF....
Arethusa
Radioactive? The ambassador was assassinated with a pellet coated in ricin, unless you're thinking of something else.
iPad
QUOTE (bitrunner)
ok, i'll kick in about a dozen runs:

I've been saying you couldnt have written a more deep and complex conspiracy.

The Russian backed president wins dispite everyone saying its rigged, the opposition leader poisoned by unknown agents. A country on the verge of splitting in the middle.

The Johnson slides into the booth, "hello ladies and gentlemen have any of you been to europe?"
Snow_Fox
In 2000 a group made a run at the Debeers diamond exhibit at London's Milenium Dome.

Their plan was to use a bulldozer parked at the site from constrictuion to go through the dome's side near the exhibit, throughing out gas grenades , knock over the display cases and then run to a boat waiting on the Thames. to escape by river with 500,000,000.00 in diamonds.

the only problem was the police were on to them and waiting, disguised as workmen, with guns hidden in dustbins.

My husband and I were in london that day and whne we heard the report on a radio, he looked at me and asked "Do you know where all your friends are?"
"On which side?"
"does it matter?"
FrostyNSO
Was that the one where the crooks used a Nailgun to shatter the bulletproof casing?
Snow_Fox
I heard sledge hammers.

FrostyNSO
I might be thinking of a different one.

The guys had to wait until low tide to be able to get away, then they drove a tractor in and then they defeated the 'undefeatable' protective glass with a nailgun. But yes, the cops got word of it (the guys were scoping it out for a long time) and they got em.
iPad
I think they used both.

That was interesting as the thieves gave themselves up and used the classic line "its a fair cop gov" while being hand cuffed.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Radioactive? The ambassador was assassinated with a pellet coated in ricin, unless you're thinking of something else.

I am.
Arethusa
In that case, what are you thinking of?
FrostyNSO
I can just imagine the Johnson explaining:

"We have some chemical weapons that need to be smuggled out of the country into Syria..."

Crimsondude 2.0
Nothing. I was confusing it with something completely unrelated. My bad.
Austere Emancipator
The auction of Juganskneftegaz, the amazingly low bids by all the large, well-known companies and how a small company no one had ever heard of before managed to raise 7 billion euros (over $9 billion). I bet corporate- and government-specialized faces have been working overtime.
xythlord
Don't forget the recent heist of the the painting "Scream" in Norway.
toturi
More wetwork
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Dec 20 2004, 08:32 AM)
The auction of Juganskneftegaz, the amazingly low bids by all the large, well-known companies and how a small company no one had ever heard of before managed to raise 7 billion euros (over $9 billion). I bet corporate- and government-specialized faces have been working overtime.

Probably has something to do with this.

The Russian government may take over Yuganskneftegaz if Baikalfinansgrup, the buyer of the Sunday's auction, fails to pay the full price, the Itar-Tass quoted a government official as saying on Monday.

Immediate nationalization looks bad. But not releasing their trustee "protection" of it to a company that doesn't pay is more... tenable.
John Campbell
An article I ran across years ago:
QUOTE (Raleigh News & Observer @ Thursday, August 1, 1996)

Assailants slash 'I-B-M' on chest of muckraker

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- The Argentine journalist who uncovered a $250 million bribery case involving International Business Machines Corp. was attacked Wednesday by a gang who cut the letters "I-B-M" into his chest

Santiago Pinetta was beaten by two men and two women outside his home. It was the fourth attack on him since he uncovered a corruption case involving state-owned Banco Nacion and IBM's Argentine subsidiary.

"They beat me and robbed me and marked me with a knife -- I want people to see it," the elderly freelance journalist told reporters.

In another corruption case involving IBM Argentina, a judge said Wednesday he had indicted 18 people in connection with a provincial deal involving the computer giant. Five former or current IBM Argentina officials were indicted as accomplices.

The judge is investigating alleged irregularites in a $28 million contract signed in 1991 between the U.S. computer giant's local unit and provincial state-run Banco de Santa Fe.
PBTHHHHT
How about this?
39 million in northern ireland.
Kyuhan
I think we can all agree then, that these types of incidents will become more common before they become more rare.
iPad
It reminds me alot of things we have done in runs.

Luckily (or unluckily) you need a space suit to pull this one off in the year 2064.
toturi
A job Ocean's 12 would be proud of
PBTHHHHT
hey toturi, I already linked to something about that on the 21st, it's the same heist. wink.gif
PBTHHHHT
Thieves Snatch Diamond Truck at Airport

Revive of an old thread...
I just saw read this in the news on yahoo.
Impressive, I wonder how good their fence is.

another article
Thieves pull big diamond heist in Holland

"BBC cited unconfirmed reports that the load of “high-value goods” was worth at least 75 million euros (approximately $99 million U.S.)."

Hmmm... much better than the bank one mentioned earlier, the diamonds at least can be much easier to unload. Or at least themselves be used as a sort of currency.
RunnerPaul
Millions of Nickles Stolen From Fed

Just for the implausibility behind it.

They've found most of them, but $44,000 is still missing.
The Grifter
How about the Kennedy assassination?
Kagetenshi
Watergate…

~J
Jrayjoker
Every morning four or five runners break into my house, roust me out of bed, feed me, shave me, drive me to work and make me slave away with a gun to my head.

No wait, I have children, runners don't scare me.
PBTHHHHT
Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I thought this was appropriate more or less for what I wanted to bring up.

Freak weather hitting explorers

Basic gist of it is that a 70 man exploration team was hit in a remote part of China by a combined snowstorm, rainstorm, and sandstorm. A freak once in a century thing that killed 15 people. In Shadowrun terms, I can see some nature spirit or shaman wrecking vengeance upon energy/mineral exploration teams in remote areas to prevent further exploitation of the region. Anyway, something I thought that was interesting.
Jrayjoker
Damn! I thought I'd killed this thread.
shadow_scholar
Nope. I always thought this art heist was rather interesting, especially since it is still unsolved today, where I believe the statute of limitations may have already run out. CNN did an in depth story on this a few years ago, you can find it here.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kyuhan)
I think we can all agree then, that these types of incidents will become more common before they become more rare.

I don't think we can necessarily agree that they're going to become more rare.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012