Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does SR have electric guitars?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
Lately I've been toying with the idea of making an SR character who is a ninja and who always carries around an electric guitar and an amplifier. Then he could have some kind of geas where he must riff on the electric guitar during combat.

My question is are there electric guitars listed and priced anywhere in any SR sourcebook?

Thank you very much for your kind help.
Walknuki
I doubt there are rules or prices for them. How about this?

Guitar - nuyen.gif 400
Portable Anp - nuyen.gif 250

That sounds reasonable.
Bigity
I bet Shadowbeat has something.

Or the old BBBs. Hell, there used to be Rocker archtypes.
PBTHHHHT
Gack, now I have this vision of that anime series, Fooley Cooley, or however it's spelled, where this character wields a mean electric guitar...
mfb
six-stringed street samurai, baby.
PBTHHHHT
and don't forget the gun-fu phys ad who always carries around his guitar case... ohplease.gif
Nikoli
And speaks with a spanish accent

and has a truly but ugly side kick...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Fooley Cooley, or however it's spelled

FLCL nyahnyah.gif

~J
Bigity
They should bring rockers back...

*I DON"T WANNA CLOOOOSE MY EYEEEEES* *BAM BAM* *thud*
Method

Guitars are easy... My question is where are you going to get a totally sweet pink hippo??
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Dec 15 2004, 04:05 PM)
Fooley Cooley, or however it's spelled

FLCL nyahnyah.gif

~J

I meant the pronunciation of that series. I've seen Fooley Cooley and also Furi Curi(?) something with r's. Dang japanese language's dislike of l's. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
It's furi kuri, but the ri sound in Japanese is some strange mix of ri and li that I've never quite managed to get the hang of.

~J
Fix-it
I think someone's had too much Realultimatepower.
Tanka
To answer the pronunciation (if I'm remembering all the funkiness right): It's like your tongue freezes halfway through the "l" sound and you kind of force the rest of it to sound like the "r" sound. Hard to get it right your first few (hundred) times but it eventually comes naturally. Or so I'm told.

To answer the thread: Let me check my copy of Shadowbeat that's actually in good condition. (As compared to every other SB book I've seen that tend to always be coming apart at the seams.)

There are a bunch of optional rules and such, but I won't go into that...

Instruments
Shadowbeat, p. 96
CODE
Quality                  Common               Rare
Cheap                    50 nuyen             250 nuyen
Average                  500 nuyen            2,500 nuyen
Fair                     5,000 nuyen          25,000 nuyen

QUOTE (Shadowbeat @ p. 96)
Amplifiers
Small: 100 nuyen
Club: 400 nuyen
Hall: 1,200 nuyen
Stadium: 5,000 nuyen
Superstadium: 12,000 nuyen
Sokei
It's furi kuri, but the ri sound in Japanese is some strange mix of ri and li that I've never quite managed to get the hang of.

~J

Half the time my japanese proffesor barely notices if you use "L" or "r" we just try and emulate what ever way they say it.
Garland
I Rike Res Paul Guitars
Orient
QUOTE (Sokei @ Dec 15 2004, 05:53 PM)

Half the time my japanese proffesor barely notices if you use "L" or "r" we just try and emulate what ever way they say it.

My Japanese teacher calls it a 'chalactalistic of the language' - I certainly haven't gotten the hang of it.

You might ask your GM it it'd be okay to have speakers, etc. built into the instrument itself. Wouldn't be good enough to put on a live show at a club or anything, but it'd probably be loud enough to balance out a shout of "Ninja Strike!!!"...
Wounded Ronin
Wow, thanks guys! This is cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet!
Tanka
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Wow, thanks guys! This is cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet!

*twitch*
Fix-it
Pirates > Ninjas.
Kagetenshi
*Bursts out of Fix-it's stomach, killing him*

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 16 2004, 02:39 PM)
*Bursts out of Fix-it's stomach, killing him*

Silly boy! Don't you know that Pirates have iron stomachs?
Kagetenshi
*Holds up the blowtorch his family's ancestral katana which can cut through space and time itself*

~J
Fortune
It may cut through time and space, but anything tougher than wood is immune.

Besides, Ninji don't use katanas. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
What you claim is dishonorable. Not only did they use katana, they were waterfolded (1,000,000,000^(32882197532))! times (and that few only if the ninja clan was dishonorable or the smith was incompetent and lazy). It has grown stronger with everything it has slain, including all the microbes it kills just moving around. I carry it in a pure adamantium saya, but were I to let it hang blade-downwards it would cut through the saya and into the concrete below.

~J
Fortune
I bow before your superior ninjese knowledge.
Arethusa
omgwtfbbq would it fall through the earth??!!11
Fortune
Yep, and then defy gravity and go on to cut the moon into perfect halves.
Kagetenshi
Of course it wouldn't fall through the earth. That's what the tsuba's for.

Noob nyahnyah.gif

~J
Tanka
d00d, h0w4rd d34n iz 4 ninj4.

(Ph33r the shitty upstream.)
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Of course it wouldn't fall through the earth. That's what the tsuba's for.

You mean it can cut through anything except large brass band instruments?
Kagetenshi
Tsuba nyahnyah.gif

~J
KarmaInferno
It is funny how many folks announce their head just exploded after seeing my Ninja Pirate character in the City of Heroes game...

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
It is funny how many folks announce their head just exploded after seeing my Ninja Pirate character in the City of Heroes game...

biggrin.gif

What, a Pirate that follows the Stealth tree?

If not... Screenshots must be taken and given!
PBTHHHHT
Oh gosh, it looks like the pirate v. ninja debate is sort of simmering in this thread. nothing outright yet... Ok, I'll throw in a stick of dynamite...

The answer to the debate...

Heh.
----------------------

Ok, other question for the original poster. So, your ninja carries around an electric guitar... during runs...? Ok, other question, are you planning on using it for outside it's original purpose? Such as bludgeoning a poor schmoe? If so, what weapon code does everyone think it should be? For me the definite answer is club, but that's just me.
Wounded Ronin
Well, I was figuring that if you are holding the guitar there would doubtless be situations where the most expedient thing to do would be to swing it like a club.

Electric guitars are pretty heavy and probably grant 1 point of reach. Definitely should use the clubs skill. Maybe STR + 2 M stun, reach 1?
hobgoblin
heh, order of the stick rules wink.gif
and i wonder why they keep that psyco halfling around, he cant even spot a bunch of ninjas, but hecan tell that he failed the spot check (go fig). but then again that is the point of the series, take all sereotypes, shake hard and toss out the window wink.gif
Sepherim
Guitars are heavy but aren't too resistant, since they are made of two sepparate pieces usually (the body and the "arm" (don't know it's name in english, sorry)).

And, BTW, wasn't there an example of a mage that Centred by playing the guitarr? Maybe in the Grimoire 2º ed?
John Campbell
I had a minotaur decker in a campaign I ran, who I let get a combination electric guitar/bludgeon/assault rifle/cyberdeck. He carried it around everywhere with him, tended to sit around playing guitar when he was killing time. He had Kid Stealth legs, too... he earned his Distinctive Style. Lessee... where'd I put the stats for that thing...

The Axe:
Conceal:10 (to detect the AR... the guitar itself was basically unconcealable)
Modes: SA/BF/FA
Ammo: 30
Dmg: 8M (that's the assault rifle)
Weight: 5.75kg
Internal SL-2 (the AR had no external controls, it was smartlink-only)
Melee Hardened: (STR+3)M Stun (Clubs, Reach 1)
Photovoltaic Chameleon Paint (controllable by DNI from the deck)
¥9200

Plus...
Deck:
CMT Avatar (The Axe):
MPCP: 7
Hardening: 4
Memory: 700
Storage: 2000
I/O Speed: 300
Response: 1
Battery Pack
Case: 8 (I ruled that this was sufficient to protect the deck from using the thing in melee, recoil shock, etc.)
Ext. Speakers (the guitar pickups were hooked to a FUPS port on the deck and thence to the speakers, so it could be played without an external amp... with a built-in DNI-controlled effects box, even)
Radio Link: 5 (and wireless streaming audio)
¥253,875
Method
Dude, a totally sweet ninja beats a stupid pirate any day of the week, especially if his blood brother hippo is around, because then the pirate would just crap his pantaloons and the ninja would wail on his guitar and the pirate would explode.

The ninja wouldn't even have to fly or stab or bioslime or anything... just wail...
Bigity
You forgot about popping the biggest blackest boner ever 16 times.
DrJest
Just give me the battleaxe guitar from The Mask Strikes Back cool.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Bigity)
You forgot about popping the biggest blackest boner ever 16 times.

That could be a physad power.

Sprout Ninja Boner (cost 1)
This allows the ninja to fight in hand to hand combat with a Reach of 1 using the Clubs skill with his boner which may be summoned at any times. The boner is compatible with the Killing Hands power and other physad powers which enhance melee performance.
Kyuhan
Talk about being f*cked.
Tanka
QUOTE (Kyuhan)
Talk about being f*cked.

*groan*
RangerJoe
Get with the 60's, gents. Futureman was right way back in the 90's: any guitar-slingin', samurai-sword-weildin' runner worth his hypercolor hair is going to be wailing on a synthaxe-drumitar.

/retro
Method
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
Get with the 60's, gents. Futureman was right way back in the 90's: any guitar-slingin', samurai-sword-weildin' runner worth his hypercolor hair is going to be wailing on a synthaxe-drumitar.

HA!! I met Futureman once... That dude is wierd!
DocMortand
Being a musician and a sound engineer, I wonder if there wouldn't be another way of using the electric guitar as an offensive weapon - couldn't you use a specially modified directional amplifier at, say, the threshhold of pain (remember, some frequencies can stimulate fear responses such as voiding your bowels and at 120 db even sound filters will be overwhelmed) so that the main dbs are going to your victim?

talk about an infinite supply of ammo - just need power and you can kill or at least incapacitate people indefinately.

Of course, your location probably is given away afterwards... sarcastic.gif

Are there rules in SR for emulating this? I know this can be done in real life, it would be interesting to see if you could create the variant of the guitar ninja.
Bigity
Someone likes Noise Marines too much....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012