Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motown for Runners
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pthgar
I've finished writing and revising a Detroit sourcebook. I offered it up a while ago. Now it's done and I was wondering if anyone would be wanting to take a look and critique it for me.
Backgammon
A link might be interesting.
Pthgar
Sorry, I don't have a place to post it. I'll have to send it as a PDF attatchment.
Solstice
send away
KaOs
If you send it to me I can host it and post a link back here.

KaOs@Kahah.com
PBTHHHHT
ditto, send to vallaugh at yahoo

Oh, hey pthgar, I like your signature. that's from Brust's Draegara series?
Pthgar
Thanks all for the response. I should add that the file is about a mb, and is it takes a while for me to get it to you, I'm not ignoring you, I just haven't had a chance to send it out yet.

Yeah, my sig is from one of the chapter quotations from one of the Vlad Taltos books, I can't remember which one at the moment. I would seriously like to see a Dragearan RPG.
ef31415
I'd like to see it.

Detroit is a weird city now. The population peaked in the mid-1950's at 1M; by 1970 it was 500,000 (people moving to the suburbs) so the city right now is half-ruins. The ruins are things like yacht clubs and luxury hotels.

Snow_Fox
Detroit was covered in Taget UCAS as the home of Ares Macrotechnology.
Pthgar
Snow Fox: I used some material from Target:UCAS (mostly the statistics) and expanded on it with maps, a little Detroit history, more colour, and a neighborhood breakdown. There are also sections about Getting In, Getting Around and Matrix Hotspots. I tried to model the format off of the other SR "placebooks".

Elf: Ummm... current Detroit is not quite as bad as you might think. The population actually held at 1 million until the 2000 census. Now it's pegged at about 980,000, still in the top 10 largest cities in the U.S. The metro area as a whole has about 3-5 million (depending on how you draw the metro area).
There is something like the beginning of a reneisance going in here, but it's dificult as corruption and mistrust between the city proper and the 'burbs is still pretty high. A legacy from the 20 year mayoral reign of Colman A. Young. He may not have started out corrupt (he was an actual WWII hero, a Tuskegee Airman) but after 20 years of being in control, well you know what they say about power.
Cynic project
From my reading of some of the books,I thought that Detroit was a power house on the enenomic scale of present day NYC(maybe even NYC from a few years ago.). I mean it is head quaters to an AAA,who owns the city in all but name. I would think that it is in bad shape from the UCAS point of view,as Ares wouldn't be paying them much if any tax money.

Also the motown got a lot of people from Bug town-.^
ef31415
A couple of things: go to http://detroityes.com/index.html and check out the ruins. Espeecially, check out the "urban prarie" areas. Enough buildings are being torn down that the inner city is turning into wilderness. Detroit is leader in urban farming.

By 2060, it could have a real comeback, with planned central urban areas surrounded by parks. A really fantastic place.

What about Muslims? IIRC, Detroit is one of the largest muslim cities in the world right now.

About the population: My original numbers were way off, but Detroit has still seen a 50% population drop.

From http://www.historydetroit.com/stats.asp

1920 993,678
1930 1,568,662
1950 1,849,568
1960 1,670,144
1970 1,511,482
1980 1,203,339
1990 1,027,974
2000 951,270

What about the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nain_Rouge Nain Rouge?

Pthgar
Yep, no doubt about it, Detroit has seen better times. It is however attempting to remake itself, renew ties with the suburbs, and become a city worth living in again (currently it really is not unless you have a lot of money). The only question is can the Detroit Renaissance overcome the entrenched obstructionist attitudes and corruption.

I think in SR we'll say the Renaissance took place. It's what makes since, given the state of Detroit in SR.
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, the presence of the HQ of one of the largest megacorps in the world helps, too.

And, yes, there is a large Muslim population, which is tied to the large population of people from predominantly Muslim countries (North African to Central Asian).
Snow_Fox
Subrosa is from Dedtroit and could probably contribute info too.
SpasticTeapot
As the resident SR newbie, I would gladly accept the role of the guy who makes sure the book is easy to use.
My e-mail address is spasticteapot@hotmail.com, if that helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012