Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why do you it?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
iPad
It was my first serious serious role playing, but Ive played alot of systems and settings since then, I stay because it has a fantastic background and good rules.

Also what do you enjoy most about playing the game?

I love the actual roleplaying, interacting in the setting and fights and activities that use the setting or environment well, ie. good planning, good fight tactics and pulling the mission off in a clever way. Im so not interested in fight after fight just rolling dice against npcs.
Fix-it
The background, LOTS of source material, and yet plenty of room to improvise.

I have an evil mind.

And FASA rocked my socks.
Wounded Ronin
Because it's one of the few games where if you shoot someone they might actually die. Unlike that bullcrap D20 where you're almost impervious to bullets if you're "high level". It's like, WTF.
iPad
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Because it's one of the few games where if you shoot someone they might actually die. Unlike that bullcrap D20 where you're almost impervious to bullets if you're "high level". It's like, WTF.

Preaching to the converted.
Kagetenshi
Background, background, background. A system I can wrap my brain around but that doesn't coddle the user. Just enough ability to be a super-character to feel badass, but not enough to actually be impervious. Background. The rules having resisted the urge to unify mechanics so that decking, rigging, magic, and combat all feel different instead of just being "well, they're really different but we treat them in exactly the same way but <handwave>they're still really different</handwave>".

~J
Shrapnel
Guns, guns, guns... Need I say more? cool.gif
iPad
Who voted :Its just ONE of the MANY games I play?

Smithers release the hounds!
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (iPad @ Dec 15 2004, 11:23 PM)
Who voted :Its just ONE of the MANY games I play?

Smithers release the hounds!

Nay! Release the robotic Richard Simmons!

As for why I like it: it has a background that allows GMs to stay within canon material without having their creativity stifled. Most of the canon material from sourcebooks revolves around reeeeeeally high-level runs (which most groups, from my experience, don't go on except in scenario books), and yet each high-level plot offers countless ways to tie lower-level games (which most groups play) into it without significantly altering the plot.

Plus, the whole universe is just amazingly well-done. The best combination of fantasy and sci-fi I've ever come across.
Thanos007
Classles System. 'Nuf said!

Thanos
akarenti
My gaming group started with CCGs. Then we saw an ED rules primer in InQuest magazine, and thought it looked kinda neat. We played ED for about 6 years, and then we all kind of went our separate ways.

I started looking at SR after FASA stopped ED. (LRGames tries hard, but the products just aren't as appealing, for some reason). SR was awesome. It was like all the stuff ED had, but in a setting an actual person could relate to (moreso than ED, at least). Plus simple combat doesn't take 3 hrs! So I got the boys back together and we started Shadowrunning. The reactions varied, but were positive. Everything from "So, Your saying that racoons can give me magical power?" to "So You can just slice off your arms and replace them with machines? I would so do that in real life, as soon as the technology makes them as good as real arms..." to as simple as "I like how we don't just fight in combat; we actually do things."

Shadowrun=fun good times.
Solstice
It's not D20

oh and I'm a gun nut.. grinbig.gif
draco aardvark
Shadowrun has a really amazing setting, and a nice system for chucking dice. It's not silly like d20. It's more exact than whitewolf, which is sometimes better and sometimes worse, but the setting is so different that there's plenty of room for both in my free time smile.gif
Hero
Guns, and the fact that your character actually has to fear something even when a fully seasoned runner, D20 tries to do that but it really does not work out. Besides, I like a game where you don't get penalized just for having quote "Evil" intentions, SR makes it quite relative to the person or organization.
Bob the Ninja
Cybernetic Troll Ninjas. 'Nuff said.
Grinder
Orks as characters. Classless.
The setting is just awesome - you could everything you want, from eco-terrorists to usual shadowrunners (sinless or ocean's eleven-style) to spec op-teams or even a completly magical group, hunting spirits.

And it's linked with EARTHDAWN (greates rpg ever). smile.gif
Sokei
I love the background, and the fact that its NOT D20!

I personally hate the D20 "im a god" game play. Shadowruns system is much easier to run , the only complaint ive ever had in SR from someone who plays those "other games" was about the "magical" weapons not really being as badass as he thought they should be.
Botch
Err, its ONE of MANY games, but where else are trolls a decent classless PC race in an amazingly rich game world? smile.gif
Bigity
Magical weapons kick ass. They just don't kick so much ass against mundanes as opposed to spirits or astral things.

FASA rocked my socks. Renegade Legion, BattleTech, Shadowrun...come on.
draco aardvark
QUOTE (Botch)
Err, its ONE of MANY games, but where else are trolls a decent classless PC race in an amazingly rich game world? smile.gif

er... "Changeling: The Dreaming" wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (draco aardvark)
"Changeling: The Dreaming"

Yuck!!!! nyahnyah.gif
Whizbang
Though I play just about any game I can find a GM for (I've only found one Shadowrun game online yet, and that only lasted 3 sessions), I do love the background of Shadowrun. It gives you a bit more information to build character backgrounds off of, rather than just having a bunch of stats that alot of my D&D characters wind up being.

For a change you actually get 'experience' for not killing stuff, taking the diplomatic route out. Which is good, as in the circle I play with (I wish Shadowrun was easier to teach others who don't have the books...), I wind up being the party diplomat and voice of reason. I prefer to take the stealthy or diplomatic approach.

Unless you're using crazy build rules, you shouldn't be able to create a character to take on an entire army...even if it's just made of goblins, by yourself. Having a party that just mowed down my army of goblins kinda soured me on GMing D&D.
Kagetenshi
Where else do you have trolls as a decent PC race, no classes, exploding six-sided dice, two publishers whose commonly-used names have both started with "fa", have a guy named Mulvihill, and have a community named Dumpshock containing the irresistably sexy Adam?

~J
Whizbang
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (draco aardvark @ Dec 17 2004, 02:26 AM)
"Changeling: The Dreaming"

Yuck!!!! nyahnyah.gif

Changeling was my favorite of the WoD games...but of course, that might just be because I like faeries. smile.gif
Fortune
Well, I can't say it's my least favorite WW game (that would be Wraith), but it runs a close second.
iPad
Im still the only person who voted "Its Earthdawn meets the Jetsons" frown.gif I play both regulary and they both compliment each other, one for hack and slash the other for guns and modern jokes.
Grinder
You play Earthdawn for hack & slash? eek.gif
iPad
Well I mainly play it at the moment to try and get a magical item, ANYTHING and have a character live for more than one circle. Im circle 6 ffs. I could understand if I lost a character through my own mystakes but to bad luck or the rest of the party (who are covered in bling) being useless isnt a good way to go.

Well probably more accuratly its got a fantastic background and has incredable levels of character developement, which is my main draw.
Grinder
Ok, sounds better wink.gif
Garland
Shadowrun: it's got enough background for 2 game systems.
BookWyrm
I had just burned out on AD&D (shortly before they were consumed by those WotC pirates), and needed to get back to one of my first loves---Sci Fi. I had finished reading a few of William Gibson's cyberpunk novels, and came across an advert for SR back in 1989. I was intrigued. Then I looked through the 1st edition rules. It's been a delightful addiction ever since.
Jonah
The world is vivid.
The amount of support material is good.
It has something that appeals to everyone (damd you can play almost anything).
The rules are flexible in their aplication.

You can do what you want, when you want. You just might die trying it.

I have adapted the SR rules to a Space opera and have discussed using it in a fantasy setting too (just drop the cyberware...maybe wink.gif

SR WROCKS
I've played D20 systems extensivly when younger. They don't hold a candle to the might of the SR system/world/everything
CountZero
When I was in Middle School I read several of the Shadowrun novels, and got my hands on the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun RPGs for emulators. I fell in love with the setting and the combination of magic and fantasy. I picked up the 1st edition at my FLGS and eventually moved to 3e. I still play D20, but Shadowrun is one of my favorites.
Snow_Fox
we do mainly SR, but started in AD&D back when I was in High School and have done other games, occassionally doing VtM as a break froim cyberpunk.
Caine Hazen
I don't do shadowrun as much as it does me! biggrin.gif
Backgammon
When I was about 12, my bro bought SR2. Pure luck, really. We didn't even play, was too young to really "get" roleplaying games I think.

But I remember going through the book. The artwork. "What's this? A dark man meeting shady individuals behind an alley?" "Wow, look at the city, it's so bright and dark at the same time" "Guns... scary. You can really die in this game!". Plus I had this image of the cool older young adults, sitting around a table and playing these serious, dark criminals..

There's no other word for it, I fell in love with Shadowrun.
Zolhex
I voted one of the many But.....

Ok in all fairness Shadowrun was my as they say gateway drug it is what got me into RPGs.

I play some DnD (which ever ruls are being used at the time)

I play Earthdawn.

I play Rifts (and yes I like it) it has the same mix as Shadowrun magic and tech.

I play Heros unlimited.

I play Systems Failure.

I play Pallaiudum Fantsay.

I play Vampire & Werewolf (so far no Mage or the others)

What an amazing theory I like lots of different games BUT....

Shadowrun is still the tops in my book it got me started (traded comics for sourcebooks and still spend about the same (the comics cost more) so it is all good to me) has enough to keep me entertained now if only I could find players.
mattness pl
RPGs for me is something more than game.
And Shadowrun is something more than just another RPG.
- SR was first RPG in which I saw active defense (great idea IMO). D&D or WFRP hasn't got such thing(just lousy Hit Points). And no mana points (thumbs up!). I quit playing decade ago, but I played in more than 30 RPG PnP systems.
- 10 years ago I had a plan: wait till FASA end up describing the 6th World and write it up in one place ork.gif . Well, FASA gave up with SR, but I quit few years ago with collecting SB books (Long story, and poor English too explain, and accident called "Cyberpirates!").
And when I saw what Wordman done... Awesome job notworthy.gif
- It's cool to have so many choices (astral/ matrix/ street cyber-monster)
- Call it love (I shouldn't admit it. Don't quote this line, please), or magic. Heh.
- I like community idea (that's why I try to create polish equivalent). And still write posts here.
- "Guns, guns, guns"? Which boy (even when his almost thirty) doesn't like this toys. To be more concret(?): the graphics(that's why I prefer SR than CP2020). English Second Edition costs me lots of cash, but it was worth.
- Fasa made good job. But I'm very curious what would happenend if SR was well... "open-source" project. Without official, paper sbooks, just netbooks like NAGEE. Just a thought.
WizKids, FanPro - no offence;)
Sahandrian
One of many. D&D, Shadowrun, Hero, Vampire, Werewolf, Changeling, Mage, Hunter, and a little of the Werewolf spinoffs and minor WoD series (Mummy, for one). But mostly diceless text roleplay, settings ranging from high fantasy to near-future scifi (the Megaman X games inspired one setting, and another was based on any number of "giant mecha" games and anime).

I think that SR has the best system of them all, but I still like D&D's HP system, too, because I'm still a fan of the older Final Fantasy games (the Super NES trio most of all).
Foreigner
My primary RPG experience prior to starting SR was with Classic TRAVELLER and TOP SECRET (the original, not TOP SECRET: S.I.).

I also dabbled a bit with CAR WARS/GURPS Autoduel, SPACE OPERA, and BOOT HILL.

Of all of them, though, I'd have to say that TOP SECRET and SHADOWRUN are my favorites--even though I haven't played the former for over 15 years, and have been playing the latter, on and off, for barely one year.

--Foreigner
BookWyrm
Should I toss in my IC response?
Paul
I used to play a lot of other games-The Palladium Bunch (Ninjas&Superspies, Robotech, TMNT, that Heroes thingie, and others...), AD&D, Bunnies and Burrows,Paranoia, CoC-you name it. Then the summer of 89 came along. There was no looking back after that.

Shadowrun was the first game that ever really made me just driven to play it. To this day I love it.
Moirdryd
I stumbled into Shadowrun little over 7 years ago. Right into the middle of an experianced running team (both IC and OOC) and had about half an hour to create a char. Didnt know anything much about decking. Didnt know about rigging at all. Didnt have the time to learn enough of the magic system to play a mage without slowing things down for my friends too much and my elf didnt much like too much Cyber-ware. Un-beknownst to me i was walking meat in the savage shadows of the sprawl.

The job went well and we came off VERY rich from it (like i said it was an experianced IC team, high level runs). I came off riddled with bullets and thankful i`d invested in a doc wagon contract. A couple of mil nuyen later and some major pull from peoples long owing the rest of the team favors (which they`d called in on my behalf, bless `em). I was toting Boosted Reflexes, reaction enhancers, damage compensators, synaptic accelerators, cerebral boosters and a titanium laced skeleton. One forearm mounted cyber gun, a smartlink system and several new toys that went bang.

Oh yes and i was hooked on Shadowrun. (even if i am the only person who runs it these days. )
Gem the Troll
Because it's plausibly lethal for each and every PC and NPC. I like the fact that there (atleast in games I played) are punches being pulled. You actually worry about your character dying, and you know there's not a priest waiting in the wings to ressurect you. That's why I play...consequences...
Doggbert
I voted 'One of many'. I play (whenever I get the chance) SR, D&D, Vampire, Werewolf, Deadlands: HoE and some other. Each has it's own pros and cons...

Shadowruns strongest part is in no doubt the background. It's not a realistic world per se, but it has correct responses for unrealistic premises. Take magic for instance. If magic were to 'return' to the world, I find it highly plausible that it would have the effects detailed in the SR game, more or less. It would be studied at universities, people would hire magicians for FX work in movies, and it would give rise to new prejudice. The SR universe has some unrealistic parts, but the consequences of those parts are realistic.

Many have stated they think SR has the best system. I disagree. The system is well suited for the type of game SR is, but it is not the best system because of that. D&D has a great system if you take it in context of the type of game D&D is. Imagine running a hank 'n slash RPG and using SR rules. The rules are way too realistic, and it would bog down the battles immensely. Similarly, SR can never be run with D&D rules. Same thing goes for all of the games I listed above. They work with their own systems.
I actually would like a little less realism rules-wise in SR, to make it a bit faster. Combat still takes too long in my group, and we've played a lot of SR. That's just me, though, judging from the other posts here...
iPad
Shadowruns strongest part is in no doubt the background. It's not a realistic world per se, but it has correct responses for unrealistic premises. Take magic for instance. If magic were to 'return' to the world, I find it highly plausible that it would have the effects detailed in the SR game, more or less. It would be studied at universities, people would hire magicians for FX work in movies, and it would give rise to new prejudice. The SR universe has some unrealistic parts, but the consequences of those parts are realistic.

The return of magic unplausible? Im still waiting for it to happen. Do you think Tolkien actually made all of his stuff up from scratch? biggrin.gif

Many have stated they think SR has the best system. I disagree. The system is well suited for the type of game SR is, but it is not the best system because of that. D&D has a great system if you take it in context of the type of game D&D is. Imagine running a hank 'n slash RPG and using SR rules. The rules are way too realistic, and it would bog down the battles immensely. Similarly, SR can never be run with D&D rules. Same thing goes for all of the games I listed above. They work with their own systems.
I actually would like a little less realism rules-wise in SR, to make it a bit faster. Combat still takes too long in my group, and we've played a lot of SR. That's just me, though, judging from the other posts here...

I think it is quiet realistic in an entirely arbortory manner. I personally dont know a rpg rules set which is more realistic without hidious over use of tables and insane healing time/mortality rates.

As for the 'One rule set to rule them all' Feng Shui wins hands down. Its about fun combat and outragious stories. All skills and magic are pritty much covered simply. Plus it works for any setting with very little tweaking. My friend ran a star wars rpg using these rules and it rocked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012