Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric guitar ninja
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
As a follow up to my thread on electric guitars, I made a physad ninja with 123 points which specializes in flipping out and whaling.

Str 6
Qui 6
Cha 2
Wil 3
Int 3
Bod 5
Rea 4 (10)
Init 4 + 1d6 (10+4d6)

Skills:
Edged Weapons 6
Projectile Weapons 6
Throwing Weapons 6
Unarmed Combat 5
Clubs 6
Pole Arms/Staffs 5
Whips 6
Stealth 6
Etiquette (ninja) 1 (3)
Athletics 5
Electric Guitar 1

Flaws:
Computer Illiterate
Compulsive: carrying electric guitar & amplifier, whaling, and flipping out in the middle combat

Knowledge Skills:
Ninjas 3
Security Procedures (2)
Your choice 3

Languages:
English 3
Japanese 1
Your Choice 3

Contacts, all level 1:
Ashida Kim (www.ashidakim.com)
Martial Arts Store Owner

Adept Powers:
Missile Parry
Improved Reflexes III

Gear:
Camo full suit, bo staff, katana, 10 shuriken, kusarigama, manrikikusari, nunchaku, 3 section staff, 42 caltrops, bow STR min 6, 25 barbed arrows, 1 mo. squatter lifestyle, medium quality guitar, small amplifier.
BitBasher
That's FANTASTIC! <applause>
mfb
polearm/staves? shouldn't that be polearms/axes?
Tanka
QUOTE (mfb)

That's the full name of the general skill. nyahnyah.gif

As those one beer commercial guys say...

"BRILLIANT!"
mfb
ah, right.
GrinderTheTroll
ROFLLMAO!! rotfl.gif

Ninjas flip out and kill people.
U_Fester
QUOTE (mfb)

Staves and Polearms are in the same Group. Axes are in with Edge Weapons.
BitBasher
I heard a ninja killed an entire town once because a guy in a diner where the ninja was eating dropped his spoon. biggrin.gif
Bigity
I totally saw one (from a distance) get super pissed. And there was nobody around to kill, so he folded a frisbee in half really hard and swallowed it! Sweet!
Smiley
QUOTE (U_Fester)
Staves and Polearms are in the same Group. Axes are in with Edge Weapons.

They were until Cannon Companion. Now anything with reach 2 is considered a polearm.
Fortune
QUOTE (Smiley)
Now anything with reach 2 is considered a polearm.

I don't think anybody could reasonably classify a Whip or Monowhip as a Polearm.
mfb
ree... z'un?
Herald of Verjigorm
Hmmm.... pole-monowhip... a reach 4 "melee" weapon.
U_Fester
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Smiley @ Dec 21 2004, 06:17 AM)
Now anything with reach 2 is considered a polearm.

I don't think anybody could reasonably classify a Whip or Monowhip as a Polearm.

I looked in CC and it still has axes with a reach of +1. I understand the +2, but I don't know that many axes that would be considered a +2. Maybe a halberd, but then that is a polearm.
Fresno Bob
You do realize that with Electric Guitar 1 he totally sucks at wailing hot lixx?
Kanada Ten
According to SotA64, [Electric Guitar] should be a Knowledge Skill, a specialization even.
Fortune
Better off to list it as a Knowledge Skill anyway.

[edit] Great minds, KT. biggrin.gif [/edit]
DocMortand
The only problem I have with it is why on earth would any rocker be charisma 2? Kinda defeats the purpose, IMO.

Now if there were only some way of using the electric guitar as a projectile weapon - directional amplified sound waves or something?
Wounded Ronin
Hmm, well, this was the thing. I put the Electric Guitar as an active skill so that you could concievably use that for centering down the road if you played the ninja for a while and initiated. However, because being able to use every melee weapon was a very important part of the character I didn't have enough points to make Electric Guitar more than 1.

I suppose that you could always overload with more flaws if the GM lets you and then you could raise Electric Guitar if you treat it as a quickness-linked skill.

Alternately you could drop Etiquette all together and grab an Electric Guitar 3.
Fortune
Um ... Centering uses the 'Centering' magical skill and a linked Knowledge skill. There is no reason to have it as an Active Skill.
Wounded Ronin
Oh, really? I misunderstood the rules, then. I thought that it was, like, forcing you to waste precious skill points at chargen on some artistic skill that was pointless until you actually got centering. I figured it was Stephen Kenson's means of kicking munchkineers in the nuts. biggrin.gif

Okay, well, given that I misuderstood that, I suppose you could feel free to shift Electric Guitar into Knowledge in the slot that I left as a free choice.

Heh, phew, good thing that no one in any of the games I GMed ever took Centering. Heh heh, saved! rotfl.gif
Fortune
It's cool. Centering is enough of a Karma sink without the additional cost of a linked Active skill.

I'd dump 1 off of another skill (Athletics?) and add that to the saved skill point from Guitar to raise Charisma by 1.
DrJest
Six String Ninja, cool

(and hey, let's hear it for Amazon.co.uk, who actually have copies of Six String Samurai )
Buck
QUOTE (Voorhees)
You do realize that with Electric Guitar 1 he totally sucks at wailing hot lixx?

Could play in a punk band, though biggrin.gif
Sahandrian
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Now if there were only some way of using the electric guitar as a projectile weapon - directional amplified sound waves or something?

I saw in the NSRCG, I think (possibly from SOTA 63/64), an adept power that combines with Killing Hands to add an elemental effect to an attack. So, you combine a few powers...

Killing Hands
Distance Strike
(whatever it was) Elemental Effect (Blast)

...and geas them all to "wailing on an electric guitar", which is also your Centering (Melee) skill link...
Kanada Ten
They also have a sonic weapon in SotA64 and a section dedicated to disguising things...
mfb
unfortunately, elemental strike cannot be combined with distance strike. no hadokens, sucka! i pity the fool.
DocMortand
Hmm, that might work, actually. The only problem with it would be that it's not just a distance strike, it's more like a straight line (anything in the path gets hit, and then the sound just gets reflected, it's not terminated.)

Are there any rules for excessive sound damage?
Sahandrian
QUOTE (mfb)
unfortunately, elemental strike cannot be combined with distance strike. no hadokens, sucka! i pity the fool.

Keep the geas, but take them all at full cost and get your GM to let you use it with Distance Strike in compensation.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
They also have a sonic weapon in SotA64 and a section dedicated to disguising things...

Ooo! I didn't know that - what are the stats on the sonic weapon? I don't have the book (or money to get the book, unfortunately) so I don't have access to SOTA64.
Kanada Ten
Temporary stun damage (10S) resisted by Willpower which wears off at 1 box per Combat Turn. It can work like a shotgun or laser beam (uses the laser battery pack as well). 120,000¥ and 24/3wk Avail.
DocMortand
There we go! Thanks a bunch, Kanada. So put that into the small amp, connect the guitar to it an instant painful renditions of "Stairway to Heaven" where you DO go to Heaven, or at least La La Land. *grin* Would work even better for stunning people to make your escape flipping more effective! Of course, you can't have that at char gen...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012