Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Quest Ideas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Rajaat99
I wanted to put my players in an Astral Quest. I was thinking of a 1888, "Jack the Ripper" style murder mystery that they would have to figure out. The only problem is, I'm not very good at murder mysteries. Anyone wanna give me a hand?
Anyother Astral Quest ideas would be cool too. Thanks in advance.
GrinderTheTroll
I'd say suspense is important to a murder mystery and that's gonna probably require more role-playing than dice rolling.

A suggestion: 221 B Baker street is a Sherlock Holmes board game that requires you to gather clues and use some deductive reasoning to solve the mystery. They sell expansion packs of just additional crimes, etc. for about $10 USD that should provide enough to build a good storyline.
Shadowrunner13
I ran something somewhat similar once... the runners had to assist an ancestor shaman exploring his family tree. He wanted to track down any item still exisitng that would tie him to a distant relative in the late 19th century.

Of course, that distant relative was Jack the Ripper (the runners get clues to as much through out the quest, since it's kind of a theme...) and then the runners have to decide whether or not to retrieve and return the item in question.

My players did deliver the knife to the shaman, so there will be a follow up run in their future... smile.gif

SR13
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Shadowrunner13 @ Dec 21 2004, 06:35 PM)
I ran something somewhat similar once... the runners had to assist an ancestor shaman exploring his family tree.  He wanted to track down any item still exisitng that would tie him to a distant relative in the late 19th century.

Of course, that distant relative was Jack the Ripper (the runners get clues to as much through out the quest, since it's kind of a theme...) and then the runners have to decide whether or not to retrieve and return the item in question.

Is the run on your web site?

I'd say suspense is important to a murder mystery and that's gonna probably require more role-playing than dice rolling.

A suggestion: 221 B Baker street is a Sherlock Holmes board game that requires you to gather clues and use some deductive reasoning to solve the mystery. They sell expansion packs of just additional crimes, etc. for about $10 USD that should provide enough to build a good storyline.

I'll keep an eye out for this and see if I can find a copy.
Shadowrunner13
QUOTE (Rajaat99)

No, not yet (I've been rather lax with the updates)...

I can send you the document, if you want a copy. You can email me at:

<my user ID> at hotmail dot com

Make your Subject stick out so it doesn't get bulk purged from my account... smile.gif

SR13
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Shadowrunner13)
QUOTE (Rajaat99 @ Dec 23 2004, 12:12 AM)

Well get going, slacker! ohplease.gif
RedmondLarry
I've always been partial to running an Astral Quest to the plane of Forgotten Realms. The last time I did such a thing the characters were contracted by a Free Spirit to deliver some modern chemicals to an Alchemist. The Free Spirit stayed on Earth, and promised to reopen its Astral Gate in 24 hours.

It can also work the other way, where an Astral Gate allows a party of PCs to cross from the plane of Greyhawk (or other) into Seattle for a period of time, or forever.
Sokei
I may be completely wrong but i thought that astral quests only took place on the astral planes and that you couldnt take or bring back anything. How would they travel from one dimension to another without being purely astral in nature?
Deep Blue
We have house rules for that, but I'm not sure if there's a canon one... in our house rules, it's a critter power and an adept power called 'Netherwalk' (ala Earthdawn). Never had a netherwalking item, but I can't think of a good reason -not- to have one.
RedmondLarry
We house rule that some free spirits' Astral Gateway power is more potent that the power listed on p. 117 of MITS. It gives the GM more leeway to make interesting adventures.

One of our quests, many years ago, was to a metaplane where the bugs were almost finished destroying a world. The inhabitants were gone and the abandoned cities and skyscrapers were crawling with bugs. As bugs were summoned on Earth they'd disappear from the dying world. "But City" was well underway in Chicago at the time, and many bugs were getting pulled away to the 'next job'.
Cain
QUOTE (Sokei)
I may be completely wrong but i thought that astral quests only took place on the astral planes and that you couldnt take or bring back anything. How would they travel from one dimension to another without being purely astral in nature?

As OurTeam pointed out, spirits come from the metaplanes all the time. Also, IIRC Alchera can leave things behind. Since Alchera are just part of the metaplanes impressed on Earth, there's wriggle room for certain objects to come from the metaplanes. (There's also the Architect's Sword in Harelquin's Back, no one ever knows if that damn thing sticks with you or not.)
Shadowrunner13
QUOTE (Rajaat99)
QUOTE (Shadowrunner13 @ Dec 23 2004, 06:28 PM)

Well get going, slacker! ohplease.gif

Yeah, yeah... real life is constantly in the way. Maybe this week, if my work week is as lax as I think it may be...

The run notes should be in your email now.

SR13
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012