Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throwback from SR1
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
In SR1, Burst Fire was interesting (they simply called it Autofire since at that time modes of fire didn't exist).

You could fire a number of bursts = your skill + 1 (max 7) per attack. The recoil was based on the number of bursts (as the +TN penalty) and the bonus was +1 weapon power (no staging bonus). This means if you had Init=24, you could get off 3x7 = 21 bursts or 63 rounds in a 3 second Combat Turn. I am not sure how that compare with real firearms, but it's alot more bullets than SR2 or SR3 allows.

It's funny I haven't played SR1 since SR2 came out, and it took some reading and re-reading to resurrect it from the brain cells killed off by mass consumption of beer.

There's more to it, this just made for an interesting view of how things used to be handled.
Moon-Hawk
That's much closer to realistic rates of fire, at least for some weapons.

So....what you're telling me is..... FASA wasn't completely ignorant of real-life ROF, they originally tried and and then changed it for game balance reasons.
Interesting
Allright, you can all yell at each other about autofire now. extinguish.gif
nyahnyah.gif

p.s. Thanks for sharing that, Grinder. I, too, had completely forgotten how pre-SR2 bursts worked; and it's good for us to know our roots. cool.gif
Mensche
cant say I miss the old rulings. although that does put alot of emphasis on the SOTA curve. if you dont have enough wares to compete in the sprawl, then whoever has a higher INIT really is gonna outshoot you. by a fragging LOT.
GrinderTheTroll
It really makes weapon skill way more useful than it is in SR3. Then you where limited to how fast and good you where, well and how fast you could change clips (63 rounds in 1 Combat Turn?!?!?)
Austere Emancipator
This only makes a big difference to the actual RoF for people with a high skill. Joe GI with skill 4 and an Init of 7 will still only fire 15 rounds per CT, and even the most skilled shooters with only 1 Init Pass to act in still cannot get close to reasonable RL RoFs (compare 1,000rpm on a RL M249 SAW to 7 x 3 = 21/CT = 420rpm with Skill 6, Init 1-10 in SR1).

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
So....what you're telling me is..... FASA wasn't completely ignorant of real-life ROF, they originally tried and and then changed it for game balance reasons.

If the designers actually knew what firing weapons on FA is like and how weapons tend to act on FA, and then they came up with those rules, I think it's fair to say they originally tried really badly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012