Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC/IC : 2064
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Sphynx
Ok, let's begin by telling you how I intend to run the game. I will award 1 karma per week for everyone that posts at least 5 stories, on 5 seperate days, per week. Ie: PettyJoe waits to see what the others do. is definitely not acceptable. If your post is not at least half the length of my own post for that day, it won't qualify as a story-post. I'm a gamer here too, so entertain me, and I entertain back.

If you post as much as me in a week in total story telling, you'll easily receive 2 karma that week for your character. These karma rewards are in addition to the karma rewards for completed "runs".

Now the purpose of this thread is to get the approved characters and perfect them. You will have a chance now, to work on background. It is important in this OOC thread that you show me the detail of your storytelling capabilities. As such, you will need to be very lenient to each other. If someone else tells a story which includes you, support his story, don't bicker over it (unless the story was incredibly degrading). Therefore, as you tell a story, try to be nice about other characters, make sure you have a feel for their character, and don't assume they're panzies who sat quivering in fear as you saved the day.

These stories will build the team pre-game.

In addition to thiese IC posts of, now historical, moments between your characters, this thread will be used for me to comment on changes I think should be made to better integrate characters into the gmae once I open an IC thread, the 2nd week of January. At that time I will make an OOC thread, as well as an all new KARMA thread for giving karma and allowing you to state your expenditures.

I will continue evaluating your other possible team members for the next week, trying to get them to change things enough to fit the team. So expect new people to join in on posting as the week progresses.

Sphynx
Fortune
It'd probably be a good idea to re-post our character sheets here for ease of reference.

Ryan O'Shea aka Gypsy
[ Spoiler ]

[edit] Pretty much done![/edit]
Sphynx
Excellent, we begin here.... nyahnyah.gif

I see Force-2 Exclusives, so am assuming you paid 0 SpellPoints for those. I know you've read all my posts against allowing that. nyahnyah.gif Have to spend at least 1 spell point to get a spell (Ie: as per canon, you have to 'buy' each spell). Since I like a team having a wide array of spells in at least one person though, I'll create a Character-House-Rule (Ie: This character only). 5 BP will raise you from 35 starting spell points to 50 starting spell points. Personal recommendation would be, rather than pick up more flaws, drop the Bonus Int as well as your Quickness by 1, and drop Aura Reading (a relatively useless skill from a numbers perspective). I'd also recommend trying to squeeze out a couple more points for cash and getting cybereyes with mag (LOS is very important). But that's totally up to you, I realize alot of people prefer the lower mods for having natural eyes in certain situations.

Background looks ok, so no real comments there, I'll wait to see some history-stories to comment on possible changes there.
Fortune
I see Force-2 Exclusives, so am assuming you paid 0 SpellPoints for those.  I know you've read all my posts against allowing that.  nyahnyah.gif  Have to spend at least 1 spell point to get a spell (Ie: as per canon, you have to 'buy' each spell).

Technically, 'per canon', Rob's suggestion that a 'handful of cantrips' is what I went by. I actually didn't remember your stance on Force 2 - Exclusive spells, so figured I'd go for it. I even remarked about it in the other thread.

That being said...

I'll create a Character-House-Rule (Ie: This character only).  5 BP will raise you from 35 starting spell points to 50 starting spell points.

I'll take that option! biggrin.gif

Personal recommendation would be, rather than pick up more flaws, drop the Bonus Int as well as your Quickness by 1, and drop Aura Reading (a relatively useless skill from a numbers perspective).

I'd rather not drop either. The combo as it stands affects too many things, like Knowledge Skills, Reaction, Armor-wearing ability, Spell and Combat Pools, etc. I will drop Aura Reading though, as it only works as a Background skill anyway.

I'd also recommend trying to squeeze out a couple more points for cash and getting cybereyes with mag (LOS is very important).

Magnification x20 Shades ... but I'll think more on that. biggrin.gif

Changes done! smile.gif
Sandoval Smith
I think I've gotten tacit approval, so here're Jack's stats.

Jack No'one
[ Spoiler ]

I'll repeat my query over whether having a car is appropriate for this game or not. Also, as for the establishing backgrounds for our characters working together, how much do we know about what we do in Denver? Do we know that we're working for Ghostwalker? Does he gives us orders directly, do we have a Johnson who drops lots of hints about who our Big Boss is, or are we completly in the dark? Do we all hang out in the Ghost-cave until it's time for another run, or do go about our seperate lives until we get that phone call, telling us it's time to go to work again?

I think that issues like that need to be laid down by the GM so we know where our starting point is.
Sphynx
Sandoval. Yeah, you're in, but let's discuss some possible changes and then I'll answer your questions. First, some recommendations:

Drop Skillwires to 4 (you only have 1 rating 6, and considering the costs of softs, it's not likely you'll see too many softs higher than 4 in-game). That'd save you a quad-load of nuyen I think (about 130k).

Also, I have a hard time with Athletics as a Soft. For my own personal satisfaction, you might consider changing that with your Artistry skill, since Athletics is something that your body trains more than your mind.

Your questions:

How much do you know about what you do in Denver: As much as you decide to know. As I said, that part of the story is up to you guys. If you decide you're the Advisors to Ghostwalker and he knows nothing without going through you, so be it (though that seems a bit outside the realm of possibility nyahnyah.gif)

Do you know you're working for GhostWalker? Up to your character(s). As I said, that part of the story is up to you guys.

Does he give orders directly, do we have a Johnson, or completely in the dark. Up to your character(s). As I said, that part of the story is up to you guys.

(I think you get the picture here.... I hope?)

Anyhows, by the first IC post, you will no longer be working for GhostWalker as my first IC post will be a VERY long storyline that leads you into the game. ANYTHING prior to my IC post is acceptable to me, my only limitations are you must be a TEAM on extremely FRIENDly terms with each other, having each others backs throughout this "GM Screwing the Players" phase of the game. Don't worry about what will happen afterwards, or if something is ok from before. wink.gif

Sphynx
Lindt
Tevos for your viewing pleasure.
[ Spoiler ]

Small changes, scratched enchanting and unarmed in favor of other stuff..
Also, as I cant find it, wanna give me a price on a rating 3 set of safe cracking tools?
Personally Id like to work for the Pale One, but not directly. yet. Something fun to find out IC.
Gremish
Right so here is my char / BR from the other posting.... i remade the char cause im definitly wanting the 50 SP

BackGround
[ Spoiler ]

Steven "Gremish" McDougal
[ Spoiler ]

Lindt
Cool Concept, just run a spell checker before you post it. There where enough errors to bug even me (and I cant spell for baens)
Sphynx
Lindt:
[ Spoiler ]

Gremish:
[ Spoiler ]

Sphynx
Backgammon
20 questions
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Stats
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts background
[ Spoiler ]
Backgammon
Ok, I think I'm trying to fit too much text into 1 posting... it seems to be holding, but if I try to edit my post it goes bonkers and eats half my post. I'll write a background short sotry for you Sphynx shortly.
Sandoval Smith
Hey Backgammon, having more than one set of spoilers codes in a post really seems to mess up the edit function. FYI.

Sorry if I seem to be jumping all over this thread, but a sprained ankle + lots of ice outside = me spending a lot of time on the computer. I dropped the skillwires down to 5, since I had a few specialized chips in there (driving, performance/acting etc), and with the extra money, rounded out the knowledge and linguasofts that I thought would be useful. I took Biotech off his skill list (and made it a chip) to make room for Athletics.

For those of you just joining in, Jack is almost a Shadowrun take on the 'Pretender.' He slots a few chips, and can try and become anyone he wants, and needs to be (although unlike an actual Pretender, limited headware means he can only use a couple of those chips at once; he has to be very careful about what he uploads for a job, or else he might find himself able to perform field surgery when what he really needs is Pistols). The fact that his head is a big, black hole in the astral plane can also make his subterfuge attempts diffulcult to slip past Awakened observers.

Below, are his finalized stats.

Jack No'one
[ Spoiler ]

Jack is one of the most recent additions to the team, and when people see him as his 'normal' self, he is a very unremarkable human male, thin, a little bony, with olive skin and a close shaved head. He didn't join the team under the best of circumstances, starting out on the wrong side of a firefight when a running team attempted a datasteal from one of Ghostwalker's front corporations. A couple weeks later when the team was next called together by the 'Big Boss,' (an amerindian named Cesco Mandello; given that when the team is called in for business, he has sometimes been seen talking with Nicolas Whitebird, Ghostwalker's speaker, everyone has a good idea about the ultimate source of their orders) there was a familar face at the meeting (espcially if you looked at him over the targeting cursor of a smartlink). He introduced himself as Jack, and BB explained how he was now part of the team. Jack had a rather interesting set of talants. During one run, Gremish's particular talents were needed during an infiltration, but the opposition had him under survelliance. Jack became Gremish, right down to the voice, and the straight laced military mannerisms, using only a couple hours and a few prosthetics. His impersonation was so good that the tails never even knew a switch had been made, allowing the run to be pulled off sucessfully. A few of the team members have started betting pools as to what he'll look like next. So far you've seen him as an old amerindian, an ork street tough, a black, white collar salaryman, an elven businesswoman, even a dwarf (although that disguise only lasted until he stood up and unhunched his body).

He is an odd person to be around. His personality seems to change depending on who he's with. Around Gremish he also becomes stern, and a little uptight. If he was around Gypsy, then he would be anything but. It's not that he slots a new chip or anything, but you can almost see his mental gears shifting. It's not that he's mimicing people, but that his mental state changes to accomodate them.

His talents also make him an excellent choice for recon work. Not only can he record everything he sees and hears with cyberwear (and he has storage memory in both his head and his car for backing up records) but his meat memory is also nearly flawless (ask him about Chicago sometime. He _wishes_ he could forget that stuff).

No one can really say that they've spent much time with the actual Jack. When he's not actively being somebody else, he tends to be very quiet, observant. Almost like a mouse, calmly going about its daily routines, but always keeping it's ears cocked for the first sign of danger, watching the whole world, because the whole world is bigger than it is.

With the mana-centric nature of the team, Jack sometimes finds himself in the role of combat support, guarding the mages' meat bodies. This isn't always an ideal situation, since if he didn't come prepared, he might have trouble remembering which is the business end of his Predator. Still, the sheer versatility (with proper preparation) he can bring to any operation has made the rest of the team greatly appreciate the fact that none of them geeked him during that first encounter.
Lindt
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Dec 27 2004, 11:58 AM)
Lindt: My only 'issue' is the guns and gun skillz.  They don't particularly seem in-character.  However, they might be needed as a backup skillset due to only having conjuring, so might wanna include the guns into the background a bit.

No problem. Ill tweak both a little, as in all seriousness I cant justify such high gun skills as just on-the-job training.
Made some after christmas shopping returns, picked up another contact.
Fortune
Lindt (and Sandoval): I still say there is no need for an Active Performance skill. As per canon in SotA'64, these kind of skills are listed as Knowledge, which would save Lindt Active Skill points and Sandoval some nuyen on chips. smile.gif

Oh, and I updated Gypsy again, incorporating some of your suggestions Sphynx, and expanding on others. biggrin.gif
Sandoval Smith
I think having it as an Active Skill makes sense in Jack's case, since it's the skill he'll be relying on when he's trying to impersonate spedific mannerisms and traits. I'm not sure what Lindt took it for, so I can't speak for him.

Let's start tossing out more backstory. I want to hear what everyone else has been doing in Denver.
Lindt
Im going with Smith there, while its not a huge part of the charcter, its something that i feel justified in spending active points on.
Im gonna re-run the numbers one last time, I have been tweaking a bit here and a bit there so much i wanna make sure it still works. Im gonn put the 'final' (read as latest version) here.
[ Spoiler ]

And a hearty "i hate you" to Fortune for forcing my hand because I really figured out it wasent that importent... but I really dont hate you =p
Fortune
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
I want to hear what everyone else has been doing in Denver.

You mean besides kicking Azzie butt? biggrin.gif

As for the Performance thing, it was merely a suggestion. smile.gif
Backgammon
(ok, not really the best story I've ever written, but it's a little showcase of Dogma's abilities and how he usually goes about business)

Dogma slapped a clip into his Browning, and hid it under his ivory white long coat. He adjusted his black shades, a sharp contrast to his otherwise snow-white suit. He wasn't sure at all about this meet. Not sure at all. Still, his job was meeting people who he thought might know something useful. It wasn't always cakewalk.

But this rundown appartment complex was just down right unpleasant. He'd gathered the rep on this beetle pusher he was meeting. Unclean, dirty slob of a man who dug in his own stock. The worst kind.

Dogma let out a long sigh and stepped in front of the door, number 31, and knocked.

>>Door opening. Remain on standby<< went his mental message through his transducer and head phone to his backup waiting in the car outside the building. At least he had trusty team mates to rely on. If drek hit the fan, he could count on them.

A greassy, shifty eyed sweaty bald head peered at him through the crack made by the partially opened door. Dogma rolled his eyes behind his shades. He mentally lowered the strength of his olfactory boosting cyberware. What a stench.

"Dogma" the elf calmy introduced himself.

The pusher grunted and opened the door to the most unkept appartment Dogma had seen in a long time.

The pusher made his way over trash lying on the floor to a rotting sofa and sat down, and resumed eating some chinese food, looking at the elf. Dogma assumed the empty seat in front of the sofa was for him.

The elf took a few, slow steps towards his designated seat, but couldn't bring himself to sit down on the bug-infested looking thing.

"You want sum?" asked the pusher, indicating the boxes of chinese food he was eating out of.

"What do you know about Chavez?" asked Dogma, skipping the small talk phase with this unsavory character.

The pusher swallowed hard his over-sized mouthful and smiled. "Depends how much ya got... but I gots dirt on him, alright..." he finished his sentence in an ugly guttural chuckle.

"Alright Rammie, before you get to the heart of the matter, how do you even know Chavez?" asked Dogam, nonchalantly flashing the pusher a credstick with a 3000 nuyen.gif balance.

The pusher's facial expression took on the distorted happyness of greed satisfied when he saw the credstick. He practically licked his lips. "Well, I wuz sell...."

<<Cops on the way to your position. Rammie wanted for cop killing. Get out. -X>> came a message a mail message in his image link. X, Dogma's cop informant, was always on the spot with info. Damn, better move fast.

Dogma silently and very patiently waited another precious 20 seconds of the pusher's blabbering before it became obvious he had nothing useful on Chavez.

<<We're leaving, boys. Cops coming for Rammie. He's got nothing, let him rot>> sent Dogma to his team in the car.

"That's enough Rammie, you've got nothing. You've wasted my time." Dogma made his way back to the door of the appartment.

"HEY, what about my money!" came Rammie's cry of outrage.

Damn junkie, thought Dogma. He isn't going to make this easy. Indeed, a quick glance behind him showed Dogma that the pusher was reaching for a gun hidden under a pile of dirty clothes. The elf rapidly took out his gun and fired two rounds in the pusher's general direction, making sure not to hit him. It had the intended effect and sent the pusher ducking for cover, rather than picking up the gun. It was just enough to buy Dogma enough time to run down the stairs to his get away car, just as he saw police sirens closing in on the pusher's position.

A furious and out of breath Rammie ran outside the appartment building after the elf, gun in hand, just in time to see Dogma's car pull away from the curb. At the same moment, the police vehicules screeched to a halt surrounding the pusher. Panicked, Rammie fired shots at the police offciers and tried to run for it, but was quickly gunned down by the cops. Good ridance, though Dogma, checking out this last scene in the rearview mirror of the americar.

His team mate sitting next to him gave him a look, but Dogma just shrugged and removed a loose linen from his coat. "Waste of time" he said, and everyone in the car went back to their own thoughts.
HMHVV Hunter
Alright, here's the stats for Rebo Ewing, my psychic soldier:

[ Spoiler ]

I'll post his history tonight at the earliest; I don't have regular internet at the moment.
Sphynx
BackGammon - Dogma
[ Spoiler ]

Jack - Sandoval
[ Spoiler ]

Tevos - Lindt
[ Spoiler ]

Rebo - HMHVV Hunter
[ Spoiler ]
Fortune
Sphynx
[ Spoiler ]
Sandoval Smith
I made stealth an 'actual' skill, and put ettiquette on a level 4 chip (he has enough other relevant social skills that etiquette is probably the least vital). I also put in a little blurb about his survelliance skills. For the final tweak, I dropped Good Reputation and Perceptive, replacing them with Astral Chameleon and Blandness, since those fit in with the theme of he's a hard person to analyze an track, especially when in disguise. To that end, I also bought a secure jacket, and secure ultra vest, so that's he got some concealable armor options to include with outfit changes (hm, well I didn't think anyone was following us, but in the past hour I've seen three people wearing that same long coat).

I also finally remembered to put the Me Box on his equipment list (it's a hollow cyberdeck case for keeping all his chips neat and organized, I paid 500 nuyen.gif for it).

*edit* Oops, I just noticed the PM you sent me on the 26. I hope I've got that worked out to a level you find acceptable now.
Sandoval Smith
Just to get things going, let's do a little background RPing. No dice rolls in here, just have fun with stretching your characters' legs and running with the rest of the team.

The timeframe is seven weeks before the start of the campaign. Jack has been part of the team for three weeks, and this is the second operation he has been on with the rest of you.

Everyone was going about their normal lives (whatever it is everyone does when they're not busy saving the Front Range Free Zone) when they got one of those calls with the anonymous voice on the other end saying, 'the Big Boss wants to see you,' in a 'I don't care what you're doing now, it's not as important as this,' tone. Everyone knew something was up, because Nicholas Whitebird not only had a couple extra words with Cesco before the briefing, but unobtrusivly watched the whole thing as well.

Gabriel Tiahualpa was a name and face everyone was familar with. He was an Aztech infiltrator, a good one. Not quite good enough though. He had yet to pick up on the fact that he'd been picked up, and analyzing his communications, and comings and goings had provided a wealth of information on Aztech operations in Denver (kudos for the success of that operation, Dogma). As of late, he'd also been very busy. He was taking even greater security precautions than before, and all that was known was that he'd be meeting with someone important in two days time. Someone _Very_ important. We were to keep him under survelliance until he made the meeting, ID who he was meeting with, and then tail them (other assets would keep an eye on Gabriel), and then detain them, once it was certain we could do so without tipping our hand on Gabriel.

Taking on the guise of an overworked Texas salariman, he checked into the Burnsley Hotel in the CAS sector, and then spent two days doing nothing suspicious (Jack delivered room service two him on two separate occasions, in two different guises, and no matter how carefully the audio and video records he brought back were examined, they showed no evidence of anything other than Gabriel's cover story). On the morning of day three, Gabriel took his pocket secretary a couple of folders, and started working in a sunny spot in the spacious plaza in front of the hotel. A short while later, he was joined by an apparent co-worker, an elf of mezoamerican descent. They started smoking, which made analyzing their lip movement diffilcult. Jack made three passes, but they were also using a white noise generator. On the third pass, in the guise of an amerindian businessman, he took a seat in the plaza well out of normal hearing range to enjoy an early lunch. Even with cyber enhancements, the noise generator made it diffilcult for him to hear anything they said. It was almost a certainty that they'd also have astral security.
Gremish
Ok total redo on Gremish char sheet. Here goes i went with a diff Spell theme and took alot more cash, got 2 sustaining foci's and went for a "theme" Spell list since thats what you wanted. I went for my totems theme more then a goblin theme but i put in a few spell i think a goblin would like. Enjoy.

[ Spoiler ]
Backgammon
(contniuing Sandoval's story)

<<...Roger that>>. Dogma closed the comm connection to Jack in his headphone. He put on his quintessential shades and picked up a dummy briefcase. Dogma wasn't big on props and disguises, that was Jack's field. The briefcase was such a half-assed attempted at a "plausible disguise" or whatever Jack called it that it was almost funny. But of course, that doesn't mean Dogam wasn't being serious. His suit, though falling in the elf's range of fashionable garments, was designed not to attract attention. And since Dogma was only making a quick, one-time walk by, further diguises were not necessary.

And so, as planned, Dogma walked across the plaza in front of the hotel. He inconspicuously chose a path that provided him clear sight of the mysterious elf smoking with Gabriel. Needing only a second of visual contact, Dogma took a series of zoomed in pictures of the stranger's face, and then broke of and chose another path that made sure Gabriel would not see him, just for precautions.

Dogma finished his apparent path and entered the hotel lobby, and promptly exited via another door.

Dogma sent a mental message to his companions: <<I got my clicks. I'll be analysing them, call you when I have something. Oh yeah, I spotted some gun totting suits when I passed by. Unknown players. Could be bodyguards, could be a hit team. Keep and eye out for them, guys.>>

Now on to serious matters. Dogma began making calls and faxing the pictures to his data anlysis contacts.

Hopefully those suits weren't going to be a problem...
Lindt
(cont. Backgammon)
In a renovated walkup now serving as a hotel, 8 blocks from the plaza, Tev snaps back into his body, and dismisses the hearth sprit that was there to protect him. "Thank you, friend of mine, you are free to go as you wish." He reaches for a nearby handheld radio "Our friend has friends in the astral, a few watchers, look like they are there to play alarm. And a moderate air elemental, which wont be more then I can handle if it comes to it. They both seem pretty calm, though the elf keeps spiking into panic. didn't see any cyber, but I didn't get close enough to look. Any thing else need checking up before I checkout?"
While waiting for a delayed reply, Tev folds up the only splash of color in the room A brightly woven blanket, bearing figures and shapes that don't make much rhyme or reason to someone not familiar with the brilliance of the astral space near the Rockies.
He opens the shade, letting the sun stream in and spilling across the floor.
The radio chatters softly"I got my clicks. I'll be analysing them, call you when I have something. Oh yeah, I spotted some gun totting suits when I passed by. Unknown players. Could be bodyguards, could be a hit team. Keep and eye out for them, guys." Tev picks the radio up "Ill be right on it" He draws the shade halfway, and unfolds the blanket. Tev softly mumbles, pulling a small amount of mana tougther to create a diminutive watcher sprit. "Please, if someone comes to this room, please tell me quickly. Thank you little one." Tevos waits for the watcher to figure out what this means, then slips back into the astral space and floats off to find this group of unidentified men.
Gremish
(Cont From Lidnt)

The coffee shop bristled with business as customers flew in and out of the shop located near the lobby of the Burnsley Hotel. But with every Human or meta that entered the shop a man stuck out sitting comfortably on a wide couch built so that up to 4 people could use it yet he sat alone even though the shop was overcrowded with people wanting to sit. Something about him, not only the fact that he had a slightly green skin with eyes like fire burning into any that drew his attention toward them, it was the way he sat more then his appearance that drove people to stay away, something military with the feeling of "i can gut you and hang you out to dry before you blink."

Gremish pulled a calloused hand though his thick black hair streaked with orange highlights, these civilians walking around like hampsters on the wheel of life always going but never getting anywhere annoyed him. He knew better then to bring true attention to himself by preaching to them about how wrong their lives already were but the urge was still there, drek who cared about it anymore anyhow? There would always be the scum that ate the corps food off the floor nothing for him to do about it but move on with life and get his job done. One day maybe he would show what these corps and country really were but today all he needed to think about was a fat paycheck from a nice simple recon of some half ass infil guy. Go in find out what ya can wait for the contact and snag em... seemed easy enough to a pro like Grem but god if there wasn't always a twist and the simplest things always ended up the hardest. His part at this point was easy sit here and drink half watered coffee unless he was needed for combat or some other magical need. All the sneaking around and spying was the others problem not his.

"I got my clicks. I'll be analysing them, call you when I have something. Oh yeah, I spotted some gun totting suits when I passed by. Unknown players. Could be bodyguards, could be a hit team. Keep and eye out for them, guys." Broke in over his comm unit.
"Oh boy i hope they start this party i could use a new suit." Gremish wispered under his breath slamming down the last bit of coffee and taking a look over his shoulder out the window to where the hotels lobby and the teams objective sat with his buddy chatting away oblivious to the world.
"Ma'am" Grem says to the passing waitress "I'll take capachino this time extra foam please" Winking to the lady as she scurrys away.
Lindt
2 quick ones. Gremish, you cant buy force 10 foci at car. gen. Limited to 6 just like everything else. Also, Inc Refx is awsome, but unles your scared of constent dispelling, its not worth the all-ready stupid high drain to use at F5. There are some spells that work fine at F1, and thats one of them.

Second, its a pet peeve of mine, but make sure to disable your .sig for any IC posts.
HMHVV Hunter
OOC:

Yeah, I know Rebo's lacking in physical skills. I guess I could do without conjuring, maybe...
Gremish
ok thx for the update lindt i didnt know about the force 6 thing =P my bad and i really wasnt thinking about the imp reflex thing till after i did it thanks for catching that. =) ill nab some more spells with the extra SP. The reason i took the focus for it is so i dont ahve to sustain it constantly....
Fortune
Since we already seem to have two Sorcerers, in my opinion Conjuring is in short supply with the team.
Lindt
Gremish. R9 medkit. No. R6 max, and you would be better off with a Savior Adv nanotech kit if you wanna spend the money.
And I think your Spell point math is off, as even with the bonded foci, your still only using 48, and you said you bought 3 more with cash. Might I recommend a few low force utility spells to spend those last 5 on?
Sphynx
Gremmy, give me a feel for the character. He still seems like a purely misc. spell caster. I understand the felt neccessity for all players to have Inc Reflexes and Imp Invis (which you should also consider at Force 1), as well as the Heal, so in thinking Theme, I see Hot Potatoe, Physical Barrier, and Chaotic world with 2 combat spells. Explain to me why you chose those, so I get a feel for him a bit.
Lindt
Not just 2 combat spells, 2 very mana based combat spells. Infact they are the same spell, just one has a touch range and one dosent.
Gremish
Read Cobra Totem. It says very nicly either stays out of combat or when he gets into combat goes for a FAST kill. I built this character based on that. Im a fast kill the drain for me makes no diff as long as the bad guys down. As for the other spells a "Goblin" sort of char has a "odd" spell arsenal, i went with that all those spells are not really common. As for Imp invis at force 5 thats because the Force number, and correct me if im wrong, is the target number for others to see THROUGH the invis once it is cast, with that in mind it would be a BAD idea to have a force one because that means thier target to see through it is one 1. With Heal the Force helps in healing i believe ill have to look this one up as im not as familiar with heals force benefit but i know there is one =P ill just have to find it. Those are the REASONS i took the spells and did what i did, as for not having a theme i think frankly that i do have a theme and i like it. with a few ore utility spells , which i realize i havent spend all my SP yet im still deciding on which spells ide like and i might buy a few more SP with the cash i got back from the foci's i messed up. The medkit thing is that i bought the best one you could get off the street. im not going fansy with my starting gear cause frankly with the background i put out i dont feel it is nessecary and i dont see how my char would get a hold of things like nano gear yet.

If you don agree with what ive done then frankly im sry =P if you dont feel i will help the group or that what i have developed thus far is not good enough im sry ill bow out if you like. Im all for constructive critisim so keep it coming but know mosta the time i have a good reason for it =)

*EDIT* oh also i went with chaotic world and hot potatoe cause they were good gremlin type illusion spells which again comes from my totem =) im looking for more of them as i type this cause i wanted to get a little more into illusion. Also for the high drain thats another reason i took the Pain Tolerence Edges =P
Fortune
As for Imp invis at force 5 thats because the Force number, and correct me if im wrong, is the target number for others to see THROUGH the invis once it is cast, with that in mind it would be a BAD idea to have a force one because that means thier target to see through it is one 1.

The target must aslo beat your number of successes, which is rare when a spellcaster throws lots of dice into the spell, and the maximum that the normal target can use to resist is his Intelligence.

With Heal the Force helps in healing i believe ill have to look this one up as im not as familiar with heals force benefit but i know there is one =P ill just have to find it.

I don't recall anyone questioning the Force level of Heal.

The medkit thing is that i bought the best one you could get off the street.

And yet as you were told, the basic rule for chargen is Rating 6 maximum.
Gremish
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Dec 31 2004, 03:27 PM)
I understand the felt neccessity for all players to have Inc Reflexes and Imp Invis (which you should also consider at Force 1), as well as the Heal,

Yes heal was mentioned, and though its posible i read it wrong i still wanted to make sure and i DIDNT argue with the rating on the medkit i said i would rather not take the nano medkit he suggested, plus i may be wrong but its in availability we go by to see what you cna buy not rating? Ill have to look back in old posts and if i missed the stated 6 rating max im sry =P

As for Imp Invis yes they also have to beat the sucesses i get but i like to be a little ahead of the game and just make sure they dont see my arse and blow it off =) Plus theres always those nasty one hit wonder guards that get every damn roll a sucess and make it

*EDIT* ok i looked and i cant seem to find this rating 6 and below only thing =/ if you find it plz tell me where it is or Sphynx if this is true plz tell me sry for the inconvience but the only thing i have is the medkit which ill just take at rat 6 anyway but for future refrence ide still like to know Thx
Fortune
As I said in my earlier post, one of the basic rules of chargen in Shadowrun is Rating 6/Availability 8 maximum. It is in the core book, and is always applicable unless otherwise stated. It is covered in Sphynx's second post in the other thread where he states 'Basic rules apply'.

As to the Heal issue, it seems pretty clear to me that Sphynx's comment was limited to Improved Invisibility (see the comma after the brackets).
Fortune
[IC continued]

Gypsy licks his lips before once again raising the flute and launching into another haunting melody. He keeps watch with both normal and Astral sight as he plays, his eyes constantly roaming over the trafiic, both pedestrian and vehiclular that passes by his vantage point located half a block from the hotel where the meeting is taking place.

A small receiver in the elf's ear keeps him abreast of the rest of the team's activities as he sits cross-legged in front of a vacant and boarded up electronics store, his ragged green long coat wrapped tightly around his slender frame. The current job didn't yet require much from the elven sorcerer, so he was free to while away the time playing for the occasional person who would stop to listen. He was merely on-hand to assist in the event of anything unforeseen happening. Of course, the unforeseen always seems to occur in this sort of work.
Sandoval Smith
Okay, I took Sphynx's hints, and ditched the car. I used most of the extra nuyen to upgrade cyberware, so Jack's now up to a whopping .59 essence. These SHOULD be his final stat changes.

[ Spoiler ]

[continuing IC]
Jack grimaced at the confirmation of astral security. He covered by thumping on his chest, and coughing, looking like something had gone down the wrong pipe. Spirits, indeed most magic made him a little nervous. There was no way for him to know what was going on astrally, and his astral signature was the single weak point in his disguises that he could do nothing to hide. If anything took a close look at him and realized that he had a very unusual load of cyberware for a salariman, things could get very hot, very fast.

He tried to up the gain on his cyber ears, the receivers whining as they hit their maximum. He was still only able to pick up the occasional word, but it was all getting fed through his headwear encryption then sent back to base, where another team would be working to make sense out of it.

A soft, feminine voice whispered over the team band. "Heads up, we've got a partial I.D.on our boy." He thought of her as Lilt, because of the pleasant contralto tone she spoke in. She was another one of those anonymous voices that called them in and told them what to do. With the amount of electronic alteration used to disguise the transmission, it could even be Big Boss giving the orders. He preferred to think that there was a rather more pleasing face belonging to that comforting tone. "He's in Azzie intelligence," she continued, "one of their wet work boys. If he's in Denver someone's supposed to die. No'one, get in closer, we need to hear what they're saying."

Jack tensed, but kept his attention firmly on his lunch, taking out a handkerchief and wiping his mouth. He then packed up his rubbish and took a look around. There was a nice, sunny bench, surronded by blooming planters closer to the two Aztlaners. He pulled out a pack of cigarettes and shook one out as he approached, lighting it as he stretched out on the bench. He realized that both Gabriel and the elf had stopped talking and were staring at him. He kept his attention on his cigarette, taking a long drag, and looking up into the sky, enjoying the sunshine.

The two men started talking again, and the white noise generator was reduced to a background rustle, nearly every word going right into his headwear. Jack slit his eyes as he took another drag, and had to tense to keep from flinching. A set of suits were closing in on his position, with only a pretense of subtly.

"Give me a call out!" he said, his tranducer routing the tense words through his ear phone. The suits got closer, their hands all inobtrusively out of sight. His wrist phone rang, loud enough to be heard by almost everyone in the plaza. Gabriel and the elf gave a start and looked at him, and the suits stopped advancing, for a moment. He held his wrist out at arm's length, then quickly brought it in close to his chest as he looked at the screen. "Yeah, I'm own my way back to the office now. No, I just hit the stuffer shack for some soycaff and cigs. I'm right outside the monorail station. I'll be back in ten minutes." The entire statement was an obvious lie. The closest station was a fifteen minute walk away.

He stomped out the cigarette and stood, picking up his briefcase, and started to walk briskly. All of the suits seemed plasubily engaged with something else, none of them quite looking at him, just like he wasn't quite looking at them. Although he passed close to a couple, none of them made a move to stop him.

"We've got enough." Lilt transmitted. "Once he and Gabriel split, a unit disguised as Knight Errant FRFZ will move in to apprehend him. Close on his position and be prepared to lend assistance. Try and take him alive. Dead if you have to. If he's got any back up, geek 'em."
Fortune
Sandoval: A few comments ...

You can save some Essence (and nuyen) by eliminating the Smartlink Eye Display since he already has an Image Link which does that job and more.

Since he doesn't have internal communication devices, you might consider an external Transducer.

With 2 Datajacks, you definitely don't need an extra Router, as there are enough free ports (6 spare) on the Datajacks to cover his present needs.

I'd still drop those Skillwires by 1, and then use the Pluscode (?) or Customization chip options in M&M to compensate for the drop. I'd also raise the CED to 3. As an addendum, I assume you realize that the CED only affects 1 slot on the Multi-chipjack.

With Hearing Augmentation, he is going to be in a world of hurt without a Dampener.

You've probably thought of it, but if not you might consider the Synaptic Accelerator instead of the Boosted Reflexes.

The Knowsoft Link is superfluous when you already have Chipjack(s), as its only function is to enable a Datajack to be used as such.
Gremish
Yep found where it said Rat 6 max =0 never knew aboiut the rule before since it was only stated once in the whole book and the NSRCG didnt have it in there woops =P my bad now i know which i plan to inform my players tonight seeing as we are playing =)

Thx for the info guys glad to know i still got stuff to learn =D]

Grem
Sandoval Smith
It didn't even cross my mind to break down the smartlink. Thanks for the suggestion.

His original cyber load had a headware phone too, but I had to ditch that because of the ridiculous essence cost. I still held on to the transducer, because it cuts out one piece of external equipment highly useful when engaged in clandestine survelliance operations.

I forgot about the extra ports on the second datajack. I added that after the router, when I realized that there would be a good chance he'd need to be plugged into more than one thing at once.

I'm not familar with those, and flipping through M&M, I don't see anything about them. Are you sure that was Man & Machine? For the CED, I know it applies to just one jack. If he really needs to get something done, that's the slot he uses.

Forgot about the dampener. Oops.

The Synaptic Accelerator 1 is more than twice as expensive as alpha boosted reflexes 1, and since Jack isn't supposed to be the hard core combat man, I'm hoping that the one time reflex boost will be enough.

You also need it to access any knowsofts in headwear memory, which along with survelliance audio/video seems like a good use to put it too. Even if all the rest of his chips are eaten by hellhounds, he might still be able to keep the knowsoft 'Get the drek outta here!' in his head.

Thanks for the comments though. I didn't realize I'd overlooked some of those things.
Fortune
Silly me. I forgot that the Chip options are in Cannon Companion. I mean, where else would they be but the gun book? biggrin.gif

As for the Transducer, it is only a small electronic thingie that would be attached 'in line' with the datacord you already have to use to link between your datajack and the your comm devices anyway. Just trying to maximize your nuyen and Essence expendature.
Backgammon
I also want to drop my car, freeing 20k, but I'm not sure what I could spend it on. Any suggestions? I could also remove Shadowland as a contact for 10k. I could get replacement eyes with low-light, eye-lights, thermal and maybe eye laser rangefinder or shotgun microphone.
Fortune
Or a Spatial Recognizer ... or up your Select Sound Filter rating.
Backgammon
New stats:
[ Spoiler ]

Changes: removed car and Shadowland
Added: cyber ear replacement, +1 level to select sound filter, added a recorder
cyber eye replacement, low light, eye lights
Added encryption 3 and ECCM 2 to head phone.
Lindt
Before I jump back into the IC bit. Could I bum a transceiver off someone? I just noticed that I could, at tops, get a rating 1 with a sub vocal mike. At that point Id be better off yelling across the room.
Fortune
I don't have one either. I just assumed that we were issued them for this 'prequel', and don't necessarily have them now. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012