Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, releases for 2005?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Johnny Reb
I know that there's two more parts coming out, to complete the Deus/Network plot arc and Shadows Across Asia, but what else is on the agenda for next year?

-- Johnny Reb
The Question Man
Shadowrun Release Schedule
Loose Alliances – Sixth World, http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=6426
Running Wild - not a Monster Manual
Shadows of Asia - self-explanatory
Shadows of Latin America - again self-explanatory
Critical Error - Major campaign
System Crash - Event book reviewing post-CE status quo
SOTA65 - still mysterious
Synner
Note as I mentioned last time round the above list is what was announced at GenCon. It is subject to change in terms of both order of release and in some cases actual books might be dropped or revised. It also doesn't include re-releases and other "special projects" (such as the possible pdf rereleases) that might crop up.

The most recent information (though FanPro D) is that though Loose Alliances will be next, Shadows of Asia may come out before Running Wild.
Fix-it
"system Crash"
"Major Error"

sounds like this year is going to suck major for deckers. grinbig.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
I apologize for using this thread instead of one of the umpteen others, but...

Any estimates on when Loose Alliances comes out? Jan? Feb? July?
Synner
For what it's worth the book is currently in the very final editing stages. Though I don't know what US printers' turnaround is normally like at this time of year, I wouldn't count on seeing it before mid-February earliest.
Crimsondude 2.0
Good enough.
Zen Shooter01
Okay, so what is Running Wild, if not a monster manual?

And System Crash and Critical Error are making me very nervous. Is this going to be some radical world-shaking Crash of '29 revisited idea? YotC was quite enough in that department, thanks. (I like YotC, I just don't think we need another one.)
Crimsondude 2.0
It could be worse. I've been reading through all of my SBs, including a couple recent acquisitions, and the scope of something even eqv. to YotC could be really incredible.

One of the things I was thinking about The Network was that it's been suspected in the shadows for about three-four years by the time Critical Error is released and should take place. You'd think that at some point, someone-- indeed, someone with far more enmity towards AIs in general and Deus in particular than even Overwatch (not that they aren't pretty effing ruthless)-- would try to kill the nodes.

But it's not like they're going to kill the Matrix or turn everyone into Otaku, although with fuctional Wireless Matrix Technology that'd be pretty cool.
Fix-it
Hey, yeah, how far IS WMT? It's mentioned in SOTA 64', (I don't have 63') and isn't mentioned at all in the Matrix rulebook, (dunno about Target:Matrix though).
Fortune
QUOTE (Fix-it)
Hey, yeah, how far IS WMT? It's mentioned in SOTA 64', (I don't have 63') and isn't mentioned at all in the Matrix rulebook, (dunno about Target:Matrix though).

It's touched on in DotSW, and I think SoE has a bit more, but I don't know the specifics.
JongWK
"Wireless Matrix" as in "deck wherever you want to." wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (JongWK)
"Wireless Matrix" as in "deck wherever you want to." wink.gif

Hate.

~J
JongWK
Uh?
Adam
Kagetenshi has an ethernet-cord-fetish. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Adam)
Kagetenshi has an ethernet-cord-fetish. wink.gif

I don't know what you're talking about. *Selects an outfit of the finest woven CAT6 and CAT5e for the evening, with a circlet of CAT7* wink.gif

Nah, I just really dislike the Wireless Matrix Initiative and the implications it has or appears to have.

~J
FrostyNSO
Agreed on the wireless matrix, same reasons.

Hate.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Dec 31 2004, 09:19 AM)
But it's like they're going to kill the Matrix or turn everyone into Otaku...

Oops. That should have been "But it's NOT like they're going to kill the Matrix or turn everyone into Otaku..."
Coil
It seems to be strongly hinted at that wireless matrix connections are the future of matrix access but I'd have to agree with the sentiments so far. They also sort of hint at wireless connections with the Maser (sp?) connection in the Matrix book if I recall. When I deck goddammit I want to build, hack, or find my own jackpoint. Another cyberpunk element of Shadowrun taken away. Give me back my fiberoptic cords, bah.

I imagine there is going to be some very serious Deus retribution....something almost as severe as another crash almost...?

I just picked up Brainscan finally and can't wait to start it up...going to start adding in some more AI related things in my game definitely. And I absolutely can't wait for Shadows of Asia. Especially more information on Japan and such, Tokyo is already half way to being something straight out of a piece of Gibson writing. Plus, hopefully there will be some expansion on Imperialist Japan in general with their Emperor problems and of course the radical Saito.
Kanada Ten
Die cyberpunk, die.

WMI is a perfectly predictible development and will not affect 99% of shadowruns since secure systems are offline or on vanishing SANs anyway. I bet money money money that they make the system traceable to within 10m of the decker.
Soma
Wow...Wireless decking.

If possible, make the deck capable of it called the MUNCH-kinZ2000.

*jumps on the bandwagon of hatred*

Note to any L.A. area players: If you try something along these lines in one of my plotlines, then I'll have you geeked quicker than sh*t through a goose. Hell, to make it interesting, by a six year old playing hot potato with a grenade.
Coil
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Jan 1 2005, 01:11 PM)
Die cyberpunk, die.

WMI is a perfectly predictible development and will not affect 99% of shadowruns since secure systems are offline or on vanishing SANs anyway.  I bet money money money that they make the system traceable to within 10m of the decker.

Live cyberpunk, live.

While WMI is a perfectly predictable development (unfortunately), I more so always enjoyed the task of finding a jackpoint and all of the variables that come with it. While they haven't obviously elaborated on the rules for WMI yet, if its anything like the Maser connection the input/output speeds are massive. Its going to add a whole other element to decking...especially tracing.

I'll just pretend you never made that post Kanada, since your writing is my favorite on this board and amongst some of the most 'cyberpunk' and dreadfully dark and atmospheric I've ever read in my opinion heh.
Kanada Ten
I don't think keeping elements of an outdated pigeon holed genere is going to advance dystopic fiction. In fact, it's the very thing that's killing it. Adding new technology that challenge the status quo and brings people closer to drones walking through life blankly is an advancment in fiction and in the Shadowrun world as a whole.
Coil
I've never really been one to give merit to what others consider "outdated" or in advancing any genres of any kind, I play Shadowrun because I love the cyberpunk elements and setting mixed with occult and native spiritual/religious/political aesthetics. One could argue of course endlessly as to what is cyberpunk or if Shadowrun is cyberpunk or ever was or whatever but meh. Its all been debated and discussed before. I miss the old Shadowrun that has been brought up in these discussions so very many times. More mohawks, poofy haired elfs, chrome, drugs, barely working remmy roomsweepers and cityspeak for Coil wink.gif

Society in Shadowrun is as lifeless and droning as it will ever be due to factors far beyond wireless matrix connections...
Kanada Ten
More mohawks, poofy haired elfs, chrome, drugs, barely working remmy roomsweepers and cityspeak for Coil

Which is affected by the WMI in what way?
Crimsondude 2.0
I don't understand the hate for the WMI. I rather like it--in theory.

My concern is whether or not the rules will be a pain in the ass to use.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I don't think keeping elements of an outdated pigeon holed genere is going to advance dystopic fiction. In fact, it's the very thing that's killing it. Adding new technology that challenge the status quo and brings people closer to drones walking through life blankly is an advancment in fiction and in the Shadowrun world as a whole.

That's just it, though. It isn't outdated to say that things like decking may never be possible wirelessly (see Shannon Limit), and adding it in makes the game science fiction, which IMO is bad. Why not toss in cannons to a moon made of cheese?

And I still don't like the implications of it.

~J
Fortune
I'm not fond of the idea either.

Oh, and Kagetenshi ... congrats on evolving into a higher lifeform. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Ah man, now I have to convince the admins to trade IE/GD places. Thanks, though smile.gif

And I just realized that I expressed the idea I was trying to get across really badly up above. By science fiction I mean things explained by science in the game that are nonetheless impossible (like the old jungles-on-venus bit), and I mean that it would increase that rather than creating it out of whole cloth.

~J
Club
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That's just it, though. It isn't outdated to say that things like decking may never be possible wirelessly (see Shannon Limit), and adding it in makes the game science fiction, which IMO is bad.

Remote control rigging must take up quite near the bandwidth of matrix surfing, so long as you aren't uploading or downloading a huge program. Think about the amount of command, control and sensor infomation flowing through the link, especally with higher sensor ratings. You could compress the first two a bit, but I can't see the third being squished that much

Of course, that is a whole 'nother topic.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Ah man, now I have to convince the admins to trade IE/GD places.

I certainly hope you don't. I much prefer it the way it is. nyahnyah.gif
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 1 2005, 05:29 PM)
It isn't outdated to say that things like decking may never be possible wirelessly...

Except it's already canon that decking can be done wirelessly over a satellite uplink and daisy chaining; this is the same only using cell towers or whatever.

And I can't understand calling the current decking system anything but sci-fi.
Zeel De Mort
Yeah, exactly. I mean cellular/satellite access anyone?

I personally (in game, not real life!) deck using a satellite uplink most of the time, at least when my character isn't indoors or on site. The drawbacks outweigh the benefit of being untracable.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Zeel De Mort)
Yeah, exactly. I mean cellular/satellite access anyone?

I personally (in game, not real life!) deck using a satellite uplink most of the time, at least when my character isn't indoors or on site. The drawbacks outweigh the benefit of being untracable.

Wait.... What???

You mean they DONT outweight the benefit, right?

Anyway, I just take a short trip to Redmond, plenty of jackpoints there. Plus no cops really neaby.
FrostyNSO
Redmond : The Decker's Gateway to the World
Crimsondude 2.0
... And the Bane of every telephone repairman in Seattle.
Kagetenshi
This post is a placeholder until I reread some more of the Wireless Matrix Initiative text. At such time, I will revisit the topic.

~J, realizing that he may or may not be operating under false assumptions
Fortune
I'd really like to see Lofwyr show some balls and crush the WMI.
mfb
eh. i'd be willing to bet he's gearing up for a massive third-party hard/software campaign. he doesn't need to own it, as long as he can make money off it.
Fortune
He might just see it as a threat, considering it should walk all over his ability to monitor Matrix traffic the way he is doing nowadays.
DrJest
I have visions of the old Cybergeneration Virtuality thing... not saying it was bad for Cybergen (which was soooo manga) but not convinced for SR.
RangerJoe
Ah, the WMI--giving deckers of the 2060s the joy I have now at cruising around, looking for unsecured wireless networks....
Zeel De Mort
QUOTE (Fix-it)
QUOTE (Zeel De Mort @ Jan 2 2005, 02:20 AM)
Yeah, exactly.  I mean cellular/satellite access anyone?

I personally (in game, not real life!) deck using a satellite uplink most of the time, at least when my character isn't indoors or on site.  The drawbacks outweigh the benefit of being untracable.

Wait.... What???

You mean they DONT outweight the benefit, right?

Anyway, I just take a short trip to Redmond, plenty of jackpoints there. Plus no cops really neaby.

Eh, oops! Yeah I mean the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. smile.gif

Going out to Redmond and cracking a junction box is always a good standby, but sometimes you don't have the time, or are by yourself, or aren't in Seattle. Besides which if Corp X really really wants you dead I'm sure they can have some... assets at your location within seconds of completing a trace.
JongWK
QUOTE (Fortune)
He might just see it as a threat, considering it should walk all over his ability to monitor Matrix traffic the way he is doing nowadays.

So you've read Shadows of Europe, then?

Speaking of which, I think people might like to wait and see before blasting the WMI. Some Dumpshockers hated SoE before they actually read it, then found out they liked it. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
I've skimmed SoE and hate the WMI. The placeholder is waiting for a more in-depth read.

~J
mfb
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
Ah, the WMI--giving deckers of the 2060s the joy I have now at cruising around, looking for unsecured wireless networks....

amazing--and hilarious--how many of them there are.
Kagetenshi
Indeed. From right outside where I work I've got my pick of three, and since I commute to work with someone else I can usually find a connection at most of the stoplights we end up at.

~J
Synner
To make something absolutely clear: wireless connections are available in SR and have been for a very long time now (since VR2 iirc). What this means is that deckers are currently able to (and do) use cellular, radio, infrared and satlink connections between their deck and the hard-lined, ground-based, fiber-optic network that uses the RTG/PLTG/LTG system.

What hasn't been available so far is the capacity to run a fully wireless network, at least not one with the speed necessary for multiple users to use full ASIST linkups. What the WMI proposes is to introduce wireless networking on a vaster level than anything previously available making LTG's basestations for cell-phone type link ups for deckers of all types and transforming corporate Hosts into wireless systems (obviously fully encrypted) with sat-links, masers, et al providing encrypted, directional feeds (also encrypted and hard to cut into than a dataline) between PLTG Hosts.

Though deckers stand to gain some advantages from the mobility, a number of entirely new difficulties also arise including but not limited to easier tracing and finding a way to crack each different encrypted wireless Hosts/network.

Kage - I would really like to know exactly what you've got against the concept as presented so far. Something a little more specific than: I hate it.
Fortune
QUOTE (JongWK)
So you've read Shadows of Europe, then?

Not yet. I have read quite a lot on SoE though, although info on Lofwyr and Matrix monitoring is also in DotSW.

Does SoE update it much?
Synner
Actually, SoE goes more towards outlining what little is known about the WMI, why people are fighting over it, who's behind it and who's got an interest beyond the obvious players. It also presents Transys' partner Erika Telecom.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012